Sabre 22 mainsheet traveller location

Anything related to these two sized trailer sailers
Joséjones
Midshipman

Sabre 22 mainsheet traveller location

Post by Joséjones » Jan 6th, '19, 00:34

I have been looking at photos of Sabre 22s online and they all have the traveller right at the companionway which would seem to impede access to the cabin to my mind. The traveller on my Sabre 22 is across the middle of the cockpit however, which clears the companionway but takes up a whole lot of space and clutters the cockpit. It also means that I couldn't really sleep out in the cockpit if I wanted to.

I am interested in hearing the views of other Sabre owners on the positioning of their traveller and learning about the pros and cons of having it in the companionway vs in the cockpit.

Cheers,

Joe

colect149
Yachtmaster

Re: Sabre 22 mainsheet traveller location

Post by colect149 » Jan 6th, '19, 08:44

Nothing to do with Sabres and maybe I am clumsy but my shins have permanent dents from collisions with centre cockpit mounted travellers. The companionway mounting does not have to interfere with cabin access - just cleat the mainsheet to one side.
One could argue the centre cockpit mount is more efficient, but even with the large main of the Farr7500 the companionway mount was never an issue.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Jaime » Jan 6th, '19, 13:44

Is there any reason it couldn't be mounted to the transom or a pulpit? Not specifically for the sabre either.
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Jan 6th, '19, 14:26

Jaime wrote:
Jan 6th, '19, 13:44
Is there any reason it couldn't be mounted to the transom or a pulpit? Not specifically for the sabre either.
Had a look at a few Sabre 22s on the Net. Nice.
All that I saw had the traveller up near the cabin entrance. Have you by any chance checked that the boom and main are standard size for a production Sabre 22.
Forget the Taff rail ( pushpit) .Even if you could attach it it would not withstand the sometimes Hugh pressures let alone being able to trim the main properly. A few boats have the traveller on the stern but only where the boom extends far enough back.
By the looks of the photos I saw the Sabre has swept back spreaders and no backstay .
I have no experience with such but would imagine the mainsheet /mainsail in a breeze contribute to the stability of the mast so the Traveller is best positioned under the boom.
I think you have a lot of reading to do about sailboats and sailing.
Sonata 6 Mango

MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Post by MartinDreaming » Jan 6th, '19, 19:29

colect149 wrote:
Jan 6th, '19, 08:44
Nothing to do with Sabres and maybe I am clumsy but my shins have permanent dents from collisions with centre cockpit mounted travellers.
Not just you. Dinged my shin on the traveller on Saturday. Painful.

It seems the centre of the cockpit is the best location for trimming, but the worst location for shins. The further aft, along the boom, the more leverage you get on the main sheet (hence less stress), but the true end of the boom will put the traveller right where you'd want to sit at the helm. So, the designers moved it forward a little to give the helm somewhere to put his or her legs.
Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Jan 6th, '19, 22:16

Traveler closer to the cabin door does have some performance advantages.

Apart from knocking of shins etc the traveler at the cabin door can control the boom over a wider angle.

Sketch below is my attempt to explain why.
Traveller.JPG
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Jaime » Jan 6th, '19, 22:16

Tezza wrote:
Jan 6th, '19, 14:26
Jaime wrote:
Jan 6th, '19, 13:44
Forget the Taff rail ( pushpit) .Even if you could attach it it would not withstand the sometimes Hugh pressures let alone being able to trim the main properly. A few boats have the traveller on the stern but only where the boom extends far enough back.

I think you have a lot of reading to do about sailboats and sailing.
I see. I have seen some with the traveller on the Taff rail and wondered why such an ingenious position wasn't so prolific. Maybe we all just need longer booms and more sail area? :twisted:

I agree and I'll get right on to it, right after I finish my degree that will help pay for the boats that I'm reading about and lusting over. The joys of life's second career :/ upside is only a few months till freedom again!
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 6th, '19, 22:29

the careel 18 just has a longer boom, without the matching sail area, looks rather odd but functions well.

Return to “Sabre 22 and 25”