It is currently Jun 21st, '18, 17:16

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '07, 22:05 
Work takes me and the trailer sailor to Gladstone for the next six months or so.

What cruising opportunities are there in the area for trips of 2 days or longer?

Is Masthead Island worth a try? Is there shelter? Fishing opportunities?

I still struglle to find anywhere that can compete with the Palm group. Havannah in particular my favourite.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul 15th, '07, 08:35 
Hi Polly,
I don't know what is around Gladstone but I will be interested to see. I concidered moving to Mackay for awhile and was planning to live on Evolution due to the shortage of housing up there.
Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul 15th, '07, 21:00 
Mackay is a top place for cruising second only (in my limited experience) to the Townsville region. I was working there from 2003 to 2006. Cruising opportunities are excellent - the only draw back is the large tides - strong currents and depth of water required to anchor at high tide. I remember with some excitement catching a marlin inshore from St Bees Is. while trolling under sail on the way over.

Accommodation has been a huge problem since the port upgrades started in 2005 - profiteering is rife in nearly all industries including real estate.

I counted 63 coal carriers at anchor waiting to get in to Dalrymple Bay and Hay Point when I flew up on Friday - they must be pretty desperate for their coal in China.

Post subject: Gladstone
PostPosted: Aug 14th, '07, 12:02 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Gladstone is one of my favourite places when cruising the east coast and is great cruising the narrows inside Curtis Island lots of creeks and inlets to hold up in and explore you could spend weeks and still find new places. Maria inlet being one of my favourites and we caught a good haul of big mud crabs there. The tides need to be timed as it dries at low tide but on the high there is plenty of water on the high with in reason of what your boat draws.

The port is very busy with lots of ships entering and leaving and comming in at night is a bit confusing because of all the lights along the wharfs and was bit disorientating for me and I was checking the GPS a lot,

Lady Musgrave is a good sail and the fishing and camping are great the water is clear and you need to post a lookout and go slow to avoid the Bommies the closer in you intend to anchor the tide runs quite fast in and out of the gap in the reef at times so be careful if it is running when you go through. I have some pics but they are too big to attach let me know and I can mail them to you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 14th, '07, 16:06 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Saltwaterdaze,

Have you sailed to Agnes Water/1770 from Gladstone? I also think it is a beautiful area and love Lady Musgrave. How long did it take to get to Lady Musgrave?
Interesting article in the Helmsman about Gladstone harbour this month as well about the new regulations.

Dirk

2009 Toyota Prado Kakadu Diesel
Treasurer MacGregor Yachting Association

Post subject: Agnes and 1770
PostPosted: Aug 17th, '07, 08:37 
Midshipman

All great locations as well as Port Clinton and Cape Townsend which is great and a bit further north this part of the coast is probably my favourite as you can go to places where not many people hang out so you don’t get the crowds and the dickwits who run gensets and drag anchors in the middle of the night or the rent a yachts etc etc that you get with all the popular well known spots. Shoalwater bay is closed mid year for exercises so just keep that in mind.

From Gladstone you can make Roslyn bay and the Keppel’s in two days easy sail or overnight. LM to Gladstone we did a fast trip averaging 14knots on my Tri so may be overnight on a mono its about 65NM and Lady Elliot is about 85Nm. Say leave Gladstone may be after lunchtime and arrive the next morning would be a good plan to go through the gap in the reef in daylight and find a place to set the pick. I am not sure without knowing how fast you travel we usually travel about wind speed minus 1 to 2 knots depending on conditions and tack our max is about 17 but its wild and the usual cruising speed is 12knots and plan out legs only to sail 10 hours during daylight unless sailing overnight to reach outer islands like the Bedwells and the Percies.

Another place, which is near by you is Pancake creek, which is very pretty and about a 30Nm sail from Gladstone that could be a good overnight destination. Grab a copy of Alan Lucas bible for this area Cruising the Coral Coast" its probably the best investment you will make and has great info and very accurate. I don’t know if its still there but his little boat was moored in the river in Gladstone last year. Managed to get a couple of pics in the Holiday album of LM and the Narrows for you this area dries at low tide and I have been on horseback some years ago and driven cattle from Curtis Island to the Mainland and then to have sailed through with three meters of water was a great experience for me.

Gladstone and environes is similar to Moreton bay to me and the sailing is pretty much the same with lots of good day sailing and overnight opportunities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 17th, '07, 10:50 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Thanks, saltwaterdaze.

Am on my way to Agnes now for the weekend. Friends of ours have a boat there, so I'll see if I can get a sail.
We were thinking of towing the boat (Once I get one ) up and down there for the winter season.
Trying to find out as much as possible about the area.

Dirk

Post subject: Chart Agness
PostPosted: Aug 17th, '07, 12:51 
Midshipman

Dirk

This is a chart of the area for you to get an idea of the area

Attachments:
Agnes waters chart 2.jpg
Agnes waters chart 2.jpg [ 92.52 KiB | Viewed 2250 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 27th, '07, 10:41 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi Saltwaterdaze,

Never got the chance to do some sailing in Agnes, so played golf instead.
Took some pictures of 1770 though.

Attachments:
File comment: 1770 - QLD
P8180008 -1.jpg
P8180008 -1.jpg [ 93.17 KiB | Viewed 2218 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '08, 22:27 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 62 times
(Transferred from MSNTSP Documents-
Gladstone- Capricornia Cruise Report – May 2003
Pictures are in

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/bowerbob ... iaMay2003#

Garry Beattie asked me write a report on an enjoyable 15 day visit in May in our Sonata 7, “Bosunâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '09, 00:38 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 62 times
Gladstone trip -Picture links updated. - Bob