Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

A space for all Farr trailable stuff
Post Reply
jezzaqld
Midshipman
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 9th, '18, 17:23
Location: Lota, Brisbane

Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by jezzaqld » Mar 12th, '18, 11:32

Gday all, wife and i are contemplating getting into a TS in the next year and am thinking of a Farr 6000 as it seems easy to tow and rig and has room for my 6'2" frame. We live on on Brisbane's southern bayside and sail the bay in our 17ft hobiecat at present. We do some camping off our cat but would love the comfort of a TS.
How do the little 6000 handle the chop when the bay gets nasty with conflicting tide and wind? Do they slap around a lot?
Also wondering how couples find the portaloo experience after a couple of nights away. We'd love to overnight around the bay and take the boat into other waters for a few days. Does it smell out the cabin after a while? Can a macerator dunny be fitted to a Farr6000, or do i need to think about a bigger/different boat?
Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any replies.
Jezza

User avatar
Peter Yates
Admiral
Posts: 7432
Joined: Mar 10th, '09, 19:44
Location: Woodend VIC

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by Peter Yates » Mar 12th, '18, 11:49

My experience is that porta-potties don't smell unless they capsize (don't ask me how I know!)

Regarding macerators, they seem to work well, but I suspect most if not all inland waterways will require a holding tank - not just macerate and flush to the sea. So you are then looking at deck fittings and plumbing to permit pumping out. Once that is done and you operate in an area where there are pump-out facilities, it is very quick and easy. Having such a system would be possible in smaller boats but more usually 25 foot plus.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

User avatar
duncanhayward
Able Skipper
Posts: 604
Joined: Dec 10th, '08, 23:12
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by duncanhayward » Mar 12th, '18, 16:30

jezzaqld wrote:Gday all, wife and i are contemplating getting into a TS in the next year and am thinking of a Farr 6000 as it seems easy to tow and rig and has room for my 6'2" frame. We live on on Brisbane's southern bayside and sail the bay in our 17ft hobiecat at present. We do some camping off our cat but would love the comfort of a TS.
How do the little 6000 handle the chop when the bay gets nasty with conflicting tide and wind? Do they slap around a lot?
Also wondering how couples find the portaloo experience after a couple of nights away. We'd love to overnight around the bay and take the boat into other waters for a few days. Does it smell out the cabin after a while? Can a macerator dunny be fitted to a Farr6000, or do i need to think about a bigger/different boat?
Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any replies.
Jezza
Jezza - we had an F6 for 7-8 years. Very easy to tow and rig. I'm almost 6'2 and had no issues sleeping on it. Chemical toilets are what they are - didn't have issues with smell for short trips and its not too difficult to keep them clean (theres a whole thread upon the site somewhere!). Stable boat however wind and tides can be a problem for even big boats - its all relative. I could use the chemical toilet on the boat however it was a contortion act at times as it was underneath a seat in the V berth area with very little headroom. With a young child sleeping on board we tended to lift it out into the cockpit at night so if my wife needed to use it, she wasn't disturbed. While it might be technically feasible to add a macerator I reckon that space would be a real issue - especially when you consider battery power, plumbing, etc.

A great boat for a small family or a couple.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

User avatar
Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper
Posts: 474
Joined: Apr 2nd, '17, 17:31
Location: Brisbane

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by Tezza » Mar 12th, '18, 20:12

G’Day jezza,
Whilst I have not sailed a Farr6 I admire the Farr yacht designs.
Read this I think it may answer most of your questions including out on Moreton Bay when it blows up.
http://farrtraileryachts.org/farr-6000/ ... at-review/
Sonata 6 Mango

jezzaqld
Midshipman
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 9th, '18, 17:23
Location: Lota, Brisbane

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by jezzaqld » Mar 12th, '18, 21:05

Peter Yates wrote:My experience is that porta-potties don't smell unless they capsize (don't ask me how I know!)

Regarding macerators, they seem to work well, but I suspect most if not all inland waterways will require a holding tank - not just macerate and flush to the sea. So you are then looking at deck fittings and plumbing to permit pumping out. Once that is done and you operate in an area where there are pump-out facilities, it is very quick and easy. Having such a system would be possible in smaller boats but more usually 25 foot plus.
I wont ask .. thanks for the reply
PS I dont get any notifications on posts. even when notify me is ticked??

jezzaqld
Midshipman
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 9th, '18, 17:23
Location: Lota, Brisbane

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by jezzaqld » Mar 12th, '18, 21:09

duncanhayward wrote:
jezzaqld wrote:Gday all, wife and i are contemplating getting into a TS in the next year and am thinking of a Farr 6000 as it seems easy to tow and rig and has room for my 6'2" frame. We live on on Brisbane's southern bayside and sail the bay in our 17ft hobiecat at present. We do some camping off our cat but would love the comfort of a TS.
How do the little 6000 handle the chop when the bay gets nasty with conflicting tide and wind? Do they slap around a lot?
Also wondering how couples find the portaloo experience after a couple of nights away. We'd love to overnight around the bay and take the boat into other waters for a few days. Does it smell out the cabin after a while? Can a macerator dunny be fitted to a Farr6000, or do i need to think about a bigger/different boat?
Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any replies.
Jezza
Jezza - we had an F6 for 7-8 years. Very easy to tow and rig. I'm almost 6'2 and had no issues sleeping on it. Chemical toilets are what they are - didn't have issues with smell for short trips and its not too difficult to keep them clean (theres a whole thread upon the site somewhere!). Stable boat however wind and tides can be a problem for even big boats - its all relative. I could use the chemical toilet on the boat however it was a contortion act at times as it was underneath a seat in the V berth area with very little headroom. With a young child sleeping on board we tended to lift it out into the cockpit at night so if my wife needed to use it, she wasn't disturbed. While it might be technically feasible to add a macerator I reckon that space would be a real issue - especially when you consider battery power, plumbing, etc.

A great boat for a small family or a couple.

Thanks Duncan,. The cockpit option sounds sensible and thanks very much for info and the reply

User avatar
duncanhayward
Able Skipper
Posts: 604
Joined: Dec 10th, '08, 23:12
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by duncanhayward » Mar 12th, '18, 21:34

PM sent.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 10010
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by zebedee » Mar 13th, '18, 10:20

jezzaqld wrote:PS I dont get any notifications on posts. even when notify me is ticked??
We've been having reliability issues with the website sending automated notification emails for things like replies to your posts and messages.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

User avatar
Peter Yates
Admiral
Posts: 7432
Joined: Mar 10th, '09, 19:44
Location: Woodend VIC

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by Peter Yates » Mar 13th, '18, 14:07

jezzaqld wrote:
Peter Yates wrote:My experience is that porta-potties don't smell unless they capsize (don't ask me how I know!)

Regarding macerators, they seem to work well, but I suspect most if not all inland waterways will require a holding tank - not just macerate and flush to the sea. So you are then looking at deck fittings and plumbing to permit pumping out. Once that is done and you operate in an area where there are pump-out facilities, it is very quick and easy. Having such a system would be possible in smaller boats but more usually 25 foot plus.
I wont ask .. thanks for the reply
PS I dont get any notifications on posts. even when notify me is ticked??


I suspect none of us do so just check now and then for new posts or PM's.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

User avatar
mob
Able Skipper
Posts: 841
Joined: Mar 27th, '08, 21:14

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by mob » Mar 14th, '18, 08:40

I visit here at least daily, but I always forget about PMs. It can take weeks or months for me to notice them.

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 10010
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: Newbie/wannabe Farr 6000 query

Post by zebedee » Mar 14th, '18, 09:25

If you've got unread PMs there should be a pop-up window appears when you log in.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Post Reply

Return to “Farr Trailer Yachts - Farr 5000, 6000, 7500 and 740 Sport”