which boat should I look at?

Gathering place for Cal owners to share pics and information on these yachts.
guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: which boat should I look at?

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 2nd, '19, 15:36

I made some progress today. Glued the spacer blocks to the rudder, rebuilt the carburettor on the outboard.

Seems the outboard problem could have been operator error. I thought lifting the choke lever opened the choke but it's the opposite. Sigh....

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Mar 2nd, '19, 16:26

Ha. Hate that.

Like when Yamaha transitioned to a push in key choke and we didn't figure that out until we called the boat shop and said the engine is hard to start...

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 2nd, '19, 17:18

yep. I assumed the tapered white panel on black meant the more white the more choke, but it signifies more air. Anyway at least it won't cost me anything.

Elizabeth has bought tickets to shows tonight and tomorrow night so I'll probably be wiped out till tuesday now. I might patch the cockpit drain with tape and drop it in the river again to see how the outboard works.

I continue to follow the trimaran build with interest but don't comment as I have nothing to add.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Mar 2nd, '19, 17:51

It's all good. Hopefully the weather holds out for you.

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 7th, '19, 10:50

This is probably not news to anyone but me, but just in case...

I've bought a few boats over the years. Sometimes the running rigging is stiff blackened crusty and awful. Rope is cheap so quite often the halyards mainsheet etc get replaced, not because they might break but because they look and feel awful.

So I stripped the cal14 mast and mainsheet and measured up planning to replace, but thought I'd try something new. I put them all through the washing machine on 95C short cycle with detergent.

I am really shocked at the results. They are not like new of course but all the grime is gone, the ropes feel soft and pliable. $50 and a trip to whitworths saved.

Obviously if it were a big boat with a big rig I'd be replacing all sorts of stuff but the tiny rig on the cal is so lightly stressed even the lightest rigging isn't doing any work. I may replace them later but for now...

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 8th, '19, 19:47

Blog updated. Pics of clean halyards, the new winch and I rigged the boat for the first time.

https://guzzis3.blogspot.com/2019/03/rigged.html

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Mar 8th, '19, 19:52

That outhaul should go through the block on the boom and then down to the cleat.

Is the gooseneck a slider in the mast track?

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 8th, '19, 20:21

Yes it slides in the mast track. Someone has put 2 bolts through to stop it popping out the sail feed or dropping down too far, so I guess if you really haul on the halyard the downhaul isn't necessary :D

There are blocks both sides on the end of the boom and 2 clam cleats, one near the outer end one about 1/3 along. I'm going to put the boom on the grass and have a proper look over it.

Everyone has their own ideas about things and there may be good reasons I'm not seeing yet why it's set up as it is, but the boat takes a remarkable amount of time to rig. It's not how I'd do it...

Davidjohn
Inshore Skipper

Post by Davidjohn » Mar 9th, '19, 09:25

Maybe try rotating the boom tent 90 degrees, I think the poles are there to spread it out - more a sunshade sort of thing.
Davidjohn
"Not so much a poster of any great volume; but hopefully one of value to somebody!"
Hartley TS18 "Hobbit"

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 9th, '19, 19:34

I did not think of that, I'll try it. Thanks!

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Jaime » Mar 9th, '19, 21:24

To me that outhaul should go:
Bail/Boom hanger to clew, clew back to cheek block, cheek block to cleat. Such a small main shouldn't need anything longer / more reduction right? Worst case you could use some blocks in there like so:
Bail/Boom hanger to clew double block, clew to opposite cheek block, cheek block to clew block, clew block to correct side cheek block, cheek block to cleat. Probably wouldn't look as pretty either, not to mention the space constraints.

Could the cheek block on the other side be for the boom topping lift? At least that's how I'd do it...

I think that shackle would be fine? I would like some in the future.
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 10th, '19, 14:30

I don't know. You're right of course your suggestion makes sense. I need to sit it on the lawn and have a good long look.

People do strange things with rigging. When I bought my tiny catamaran it had 2 short tiller extensions on the crossbar. I decided to leave it for the first sail and see how it went. It was absolutely dangerous.

The topping lift attaches to the hoop on the boom with a stainless carbiner and is controlled at the other end, like a halyard. I'm happy with it as is at least until an actual sail exposes problems.

I've not had shackles like that before. I guess they must be safe, I just had a nightmare of it letting go the head of the sail and losing the halyard while the sail came down. Anyway we shall see. They aren't rigged properly anyway, just a bowline over flat steel. Loads are light of course but it's not great practice...

Anyway another heat wave so won't be getting anything done for a few days...

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Mar 10th, '19, 15:40

guzzis3 wrote:
Mar 10th, '19, 14:30

The topping lift attaches to the hoop on the boom with a stainless carbiner and is controlled at the other end, like a halyard. I'm happy with it as is at least until an actual sail exposes problems.

I've not had shackles like that before. I guess they must be safe, I just had a nightmare of it letting go the head of the sail and losing the halyard while the sail came down. Anyway we shall see. They aren't rigged properly anyway, just a bowline over flat steel. Loads are light of course but it's not great practice...
Once again I don't fully understand. On my CAL, I had a similar topping lift to your description and like a halyard, I always tied a knot to avoid losing the end. On Tricksy, there is a fixed topping lift which is set at a reasonable length and can easily be attached/detached from the boom. Will rig it via a pulley near the top of the mast one day so it is adjustable but not a top priority.

What I don't understand is your reference to what would happen if the end of boom shackle let go. Surely nothing would happen if the mainsail was up as the sail would support the boom??? Why would the sail be coming down if the topping lift let go?

As Pauline would say - "please explain"? :)
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Jaime » Mar 10th, '19, 20:50

I think he meant the shackle on the sail. If that shackle let go, the halyard would be up and the sail would come down. Not the topping lift.
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 10th, '19, 21:26

Yes. I think Jaime and I were discussing that and didn't explain properly, 2 different things.

My topping lift turns through a block that has been attached to the top of the mast track, so you can set the angle/height of the boom. The main halyard passes the block on it's way to the sheaves on top of the mast then back down the front of the mast to the cleat. The jib halyard as you would expect turns on a block at the forestay attachment point. There are photos of both ends of the mast I think which might help clarify.

The cleats are on the jib and main halyards. The pins have a bump and the receiver has a hole with a notch in it. At 12 o clock they align and you can pull the pin and release the sail. There is a photo on the blog which might clarify. I am used to shackles with threads. These are probably perfectly secure but I am less confident in them. Snap shackles are expensive but they are quick and secure if you don't want to bother with threaded shackles.

Davidjohn
Inshore Skipper

Post by Davidjohn » Mar 11th, '19, 10:04

That shackle will be fine for the halyard, It's a dinghy fitting, you have got a medium size dinghy with a lid on top, there are beefier versions around, some with the pin having a 90 deg. bend in the end that goes into a groove to lock. They should all have captive pins so they cannot be misplaced an an inopportune moment. They're not subject to any great strain other than up or down and don't have to deal with any great amount of twisting. Easier than dealing with (and dropping the pin overboard) threaded shackles and cheaper than snap shackles. I've always used them on my main and jib halyards (not the spinnaker though) and never ever had one misbehave to this date. (Touch wood!)
Davidjohn
"Not so much a poster of any great volume; but hopefully one of value to somebody!"
Hartley TS18 "Hobbit"

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 11th, '19, 16:30

I'm sure they are fine, just something new...

Return to “Cal - All variants and Lengths”