It is currently Dec 15th, '17, 07:57

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Solo
PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '17, 12:00 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 14 times
Finally had a break in the absolutely terrible weather we've had this 'summer'. Forecast was for the standard 15knt NE with nice 12 second swell period.

I probably should have put the main up, but I though I'll just take it slow and figure a few things out first.

https://youtu.be/EysHhqYCIM0

Post subject: Re: First Solo
PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '17, 13:08 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 6 times
That video turned out well Digger, Thanks for sharing.
Personally, I am not a fan of music soundtracks over video's.
I enjoy hearing the sound's of nature.
But that's just me, on the upside, I did like your choice of music.

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '17, 13:20 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 2 times
Great video Digger - well done on getting out there solo considering the weather we're having.

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '17, 13:29 
Admiral

Have thanks: 494 times
Junket wrote:
I

I just mute them if they have music. Regardless of that thanks for posting the video Digger.

Coops.

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '17, 08:31 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 78 times
Loved the video, good to see more people making videos of their sailing to share. I can understand those that don't like the music but I enjoyed it. Looks like NZ has some great sailing locations when the weather cooperates.

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '17, 13:38 
Inshore Skipper

mdedman wrote:
Looks like NZ has some great sailing locations when the weather cooperates.

Where I sail (Banks Penninsula) is basically two massive extinct volcanoes. The weather, once settled is very reliable. 70% of our days are a 15-25knt wind from the NE which blows right down the harbour with generally a nice 8-14 second swell period. Most trips are spent beating up to the heads and then a nice run back home wing on wing :D

Lots of little bays to stop on the way. My next video might have some more scenic views of some of those bays (if I remember to charge the battery!).

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '17, 16:31 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 11 times
Cooper wrote:
Junket wrote:
I

I just mute them if they have music. Regardless of that thanks for posting the video Digger.

Coops.

I know how you feel but usually all you here on these is the screeching sound of wind in the mic. I think the right selection of music can enhance a video but it is hard to do.

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '17, 18:27 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 53 times
Thanks for sharing the video, and I'm glad you got out.

Might I suggest that you don't wind ropes (sheets, halyards, whatever) around your hands to pull them tight. I get nervous when I see that. It might have something to do with photos I've seen of a man with his arm ripped off in a tug-of-war competition (looks like they wound the ropes around their arms to get a better grip, or perhaps he did and everyone else on his team let go). If something unexpectedly decides to go in the opposite direction, its probably better to lose it than your hand.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '17, 17:48 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 8 times
DIGGER-NZ wrote:
mdedman wrote:
Looks like NZ has some great sailing locations when the weather cooperates.

Where I sail (Banks Penninsula) is basically two massive extinct volcanoes. The weather, once settled is very reliable. 70% of our days are a 15-25knt wind from the NE which blows right down the harbour with generally a nice 8-14 second swell period. Most trips are spent beating up to the heads and then a nice run back home wing on wing :D

Lots of little bays to stop on the way. My next video might have some more scenic views of some of those bays (if I remember to charge the battery!).

Cold and damp here on the Atherton Tablelands today. We are about 100Km inland from Cairns and 600m up. Supposed to be a nice winter but 17 degrees is a little cold here. Not much to do but read old trip reports, and seeing Lyttelton on video brought back a few memories.

Back in 1964 at the old age of 18 I bought a bare hull for a Robert Tucker design Ballerina. 21 ft, bilge keel, with a cast iron balast keel in the centre. McKay Marine were building the 14 ft Midshipman and 17 ft Silouette for hire on Lyttelton Harbour. I think they built 2 other Ballerinas, but for private ownership, one Church Bay, the other Charteris Bay.

The boat came before a car for me, so to go sailing I used to bike to the Woolston railway station, train through the tunnel to Lyttelton, ferry to Daimond Harbour, then walk over the hill to Purau Bay. I had previously built an 8 ft Hartley praam, and had to carry that down the beach to the water, quite a mission if the tide was out.

The waiting list for a pile berth in the Inner Hbr was about 10 years, so the Hbr Bd had put down swing moorings in Purau Bay. That is about where Tussoch's video ends.

I used to race with the Bank's Peninsula Cruising Club, so had to first sail back across the harbour to the start line. A very mixed fleet, several around my size, usually a Saturday race to one of the bays around the peninsula, Port Levy, Pigeon Bay, Little Akaloa, stay overnight, cruise home on Sunday.

Glad I am not out there right now, swells up to 10m, gusts at Le Bon's Bay to 120 Km per hr. Similar latitude to Hobart, and when you leave the harbour you are straight into the South Pacific. Pick your weather.

Tussock mentioned some other small-boat sailers, I remember Gerry Clark from Keri Keri, sailed a Ballerina called Ketiga he built to the original design to the Chatham Islands and back. Mine was modified a little, more freeboard, less wishbone in the shear, and a transom about 20 degrees instead of 45, with an inboard rudder.

According to wickipedia, Robert Tucker is credited with being the father of Trailer yachts (as Kiwis call them). I first saw his designs in a book of English Pocket Cruisers, as they were called. I think the authour was Robertson. The designs went from the 14 ft Midshipman to about 24 ft, I think Top Hat was there. There were about 1000 Silouettes built, my Ballerina was number 17. They were designed with the English Channel in mind, not fast but sea-worthy.

Enough nostalgia for a cold, wet day. But it is good to record a little history.
Peter

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '17, 17:52 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 8 times
I should read carefully BEFORE I post. It wasn't Tussoch with the video, it was Digger. Sorry Digger.
Peter

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '17, 19:47 
Inshore Skipper

Great to hear stories of the area. There's a LOT of history in and around Lyttelton, especially Quail Island. I haven't gotten out as far as Pigeon/Okains on the boat yet but I am hoping to this summer.

Yes it's VERY windy here at the moment and cold -2 tonight.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 07:20 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 76 times
Good to see Lyttelton from the water, I have been there and wondered what it would be like.

My cousin has a house there still not fixed from the quake.......

Was that a Hartley TS16 sailing with you?

PaulS