Bathurst NSW (Mt Panorama)

To let people know who and where you are.
GarryLJS
Midshipman

Bathurst NSW (Mt Panorama)

Post by GarryLJS » Mar 19th, '16, 19:09

Hi I am Looking forward to getting my first TS. I have been searching the Net. I am planning to sail on some of the larger Dams in the Central West and coastal lake systems.

I have had some sailing experience on a Keel Boat and sailed a Mari-Cat a few too many years ago.

Garry
Garry

Tow Hack - Triton GLX

Boat - Boomerang 20 "Wilparina"

Every one brings happiness into my life, some when they arrive and some when they leave.

Ken
Midshipman

Re: Bathurst NSW (Mt Panorama)

Post by Ken » Jun 21st, '16, 12:57

Hi Garry, How is the boat shopping going? I have recently joined TSP, live in Bathurst and have sailed the dams in this area, all good. I have a cal14. Let us know how you get on. maybe get together for a sale?
Ken

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jun 21st, '16, 13:35

Garry, what sort of TS are you thinking about? If you are looking at the minimalist TS, this CAL14 might be an economical, fun start although it comes without a motor.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clipper-14ft ... SwbYZXZODT

Just thinking that Bathurst could become "CAL Central" that way and you and Ken could indulge in some fleet racing!

What local dams are there and how big are they?
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

GarryLJS
Midshipman

Post by GarryLJS » Jun 27th, '16, 22:28

Hi guys, I am looking for something about 18 to 21 feet. I would like to have a good look at a Cole 19 or a Sonata 6 if there are any not too far away.

I hope the sail goes well Ken.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk
Garry

Tow Hack - Triton GLX

Every one brings happiness into my life, some when they arrive and some when they leave.

GarryLJS
Midshipman

Post by GarryLJS » Jun 27th, '16, 22:36

The 2 main dams are Wyangala when full is about twice the size of Sydney harbour and Burrendong which is bigger.

Garry

Tow Hack - Triton GLX

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jun 27th, '16, 23:31

Not trying to be funny Garry but how sailable is Burrendong when it is at 11% as it is now?

My local dam is at about 20% and it is hardly worth launching.

Varying levels are a big drawback to inland waterways. Probably quite rightly, recreational use is the last priority but it is bad news if you want to sail on them.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

GarryLJS
Midshipman

Post by GarryLJS » Jun 28th, '16, 22:13

Following the recent rain Wyangala is now over 50% and Burrendong is filling. I travelled to Dubbo on Tuesday and all the creeks and rivers were all full. I have sailed a MarieCat on both dams under 50% and they were fine.

Garry

Tow Hack - Triton GLX

GarryLJS
Midshipman

Post by GarryLJS » Aug 28th, '16, 17:37

I have just returned home with my "New" boomerang 20 "Wilparina". I will be taking it out to the local dams for my first sail. Wyangala dam is about one hour away and is now at 94.5%
Garry

Tow Hack - Triton GLX

Ken
Midshipman

Post by Ken » Aug 29th, '16, 05:24

Hi Gary,
good to hear, I know what its like looking for boats, Its good to finally find one and get sailing. Hope all goes well. All the dams are in great condition at the moment. I am planning to get on Wyangalla soon. Possibly heading out to Chiffley this Sunday. See what the weather does.
Ken.

GarryLJS
Midshipman

Post by GarryLJS » Aug 29th, '16, 14:03

Hi Ken,

Yes it has been a bit of a trial. I was looking for a Cole 19 but this Boomerang is a neat boat and well looked after by the previous owner WOWHUNTER. The owner has been very helpful. The trip over the mountain was uneventful and it towed so well. The ute sucked a bit more fuel than on the trip down but that was expected. I was thing of taking it out the Chiffley this weekend depending on the weather for my first sail. I will PM with my number.
Garry

Tow Hack - Triton GLX

wowhunter
Inshore Skipper

Post by wowhunter » Sep 2nd, '16, 14:15

I'm so glad you got home without incident. Yes, she always towed well, but as we discussed, I sort of feel sorry for those little tyres spinning so fast LOL.
I'm confident you will have many, many happy times on "Wilparina" as we did.
"Kapalua II" 41ft Ketch---gone to the dark side.
Used to own "Wilparina", a Boomerange 20.

Return to “Member locations”