It is currently Aug 19th, '18, 12:29

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WA - Perth
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '06, 20:25 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Name: Martin & Laura
Boat: "Runamuck", Sonata 6.7

I used to sail Laser; we bought this boat two years ago and still learning when we get some time.
I've lerned a lot on the TSP web page and this site is getting very interesting too.

Have a good time and a good wind !!!!!

Mosqui

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '07, 20:14 
Havent been out from woodmans point boat marina for quite some time now .In between building my next sail boat (1 year on and still no end in sight) and Im an engineer on a fishing boat out of fremantle and we can be out for a few days or out up north of abhrolis islands for two months

Post subject: I'm also in Perth
PostPosted: Sep 27th, '07, 23:01 
Midshipman

Name: John

Yacht: "Baroness Maria".....a Baroness 22

Just joined the site- great info. I have owned & sailed Ocean Racers and trailer sailers and am now in a yacht I can handle by myself (and get on and off the trailer)- without needing a cricket team to go sailing. Since the "22" has standing headroom and ocean-going capability I'm looking forward to enjoying the many cruising grounds of W.A. Will be using the Ocean Reef boatramp. I'll keep an eye out for members over at Rotto- look forward to having a beer with you.

PostPosted: Feb 29th, '08, 19:28 
Hi all, puggsy here in perth. Have just got my retirement present. A BLUE Mac 26 T/S with a 50 4str. Suzuki..Had a lot to do with boats over the years from crayboats to one of the best 40 foot Jarrah carvel i have ever come across...A Len Randall ketch that was good enough to get its SPV number.
Have been in a 20ft Vivacity bilge keel ply boat for five years and it breaks my heart to quit her, but i need the space of my MAC. Also the ladies need the privacvy of the loo. The vivacity just didn't make it.
Its on the buy and sell if you are interested. It needs an appreciative poor owner more than i need the cash. comprende...
p.s. I've had my grade V since 1964...and done Abrolhos time, plus the rugged west coast...Now all I need is for my health tro hold out...
Good sailing everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 15th, '08, 01:36 
Midshipman

Name : Mark

Boat: Sonata 26

Some of the older hands may remember my boat as the one that was listed on ebay for $10k about 18 months ago.

The boat had been stripped to a large extent - the following bits had been removed (stolen):

Toilet (floated away when the boat sank - yeah right, the bolts holding it in and the plumbing would have prevented this.

Self tailing winch for the centreboard miraculously unscrewed itself.

Spinnaker pole, & all ropes.

I reported all this to the insurance company but neither they or the police were interested.

Now the good news - we trucked the boat over here & have built a new keel, new rudder, new mast, & a new kevlar main. I have a 2nd hand kevlar/carbon tapedrive #2 and a 2nd hand Etchells kite for it so far. I have added a meter to the mast and taken the hounds a meter higher. We have made the centreboard about 300mm deeper and have got about 400kg of lead in it. We have still got the mould we built if anyone is interested in getting one built.

We rebuilt the hull/centreboard join as this was never done properly during construction. We also put a large knee in under the mast step to distribute the loads down into the centrecase and thus stop the deck flexing under the new taller mast.

Once we get the thing in the water we will install new electronics, and hopefully as our cashflow improves, I will build a new kevlar/carbon #1 and a monster masthead kite to scare the kids.

Once we get the performance sorted during the Fremantle Sailing Club Winter Series, we will then race it regularly in FSC Inshore racing as well as the odd Div 3 Offshore Event.

Cheers

Mark

PS I found the world's best source of lead for keels (super cheap!)

Post subject: Hiya WA Yotties
PostPosted: Feb 26th, '10, 00:35 
Hi All,

Frank and Liz, Perth

Boat: 6.4m Seahawk TS (sadly, she doesn't have a name)

Have been TS-ing for about 5 years now and am on my second boat.
Don't race it but am lucky enough to crew on other race boats when the urge strikes me.
It is a Hawke Brothers 6.4m Seahawk with a shoal draught keel and weighted lifting dagger board.
Even though it's a bit sparse inside, it's the safest and toughest TS I have been on.
It's a 1985 model - only six were ever made - and it's a masthead rig with an outboard well.
We've had it up to 14 knots in Cockburn Sound and we like it!
I keep it on a mooring for a couple of months at a time in Matilda Bay.
Will be in Rockingham on Sunday and Monday 28 Feb and 1 March 2010.
Will anyone be in the area for a chinwag?
If so, PM me and I'll give you my mobile number.
Cheers,

Frank

Post subject: Re: WA - Perth
PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '14, 16:18 
Midshipman

Hi all, new here. Just got hands on a refurbished Red Jacket. Hoping to teach the kids(& myself)the joys of sailing on the swan. Then head out into the ocean.

PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '14, 16:29 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 476 times
Welcome Peets, a few on here from the West Im sure they will be able to give you plenty of help

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '14, 21:36 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 26 times
peets wrote:
Hi all, new here. Just got hands on a refurbished Red Jacket. Hoping to teach the kids(& myself)the joys of sailing on the swan. Then head out into the ocean.

Hi peets we sail out of Woodman Point and Bunbury. Welcome onboard. If you need help for anything... Shout... People here have an opinion on everything... Including myself :)

Pearl - Mounts Bay 21 (Swing Keel)
Mount Richon (Western Australia)

PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '14, 13:52 
Midshipman

Haha, sounds good. Does anyone belong to a boat club or just head out whenever? Will(hopefully)be going out for the first time Saturday. Probably from around maylands somewhere. And hopefully coming back!

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '14, 13:36 
Inshore Skipper

peets wrote:
Haha, sounds good. Does anyone belong to a boat club or just head out whenever? Will(hopefully)be going out for the first time Saturday. Probably from around maylands somewhere. And hopefully coming back!
Unless you are the racing type or need membership for storage of the boat there is little advantage in being a member of any yacht clubs over here.

30 years ago the TS fraternity was very strong and the red jacket was a very popular breed, and of course the clubs were full of red jacket and mounts bay sailors, now the majority of the racer types have moved on to high speed skiffs and cats.

Time moves forward and if we look after our old TS's they will be around for many more years to come. Some people complain about the old fibreglass boats, but it will be interesting to see if the modern plastic skiffs make it into double or triple decades or if they just end up as landfill as they fracture and fail due to the high stresses being applied.

Inshore Skipper

peets wrote:
Unless you are the racing type or need membership for storage of the boat there is little advantage in being a member of any yacht clubs over here.

30 years ago the TS fraternity was very strong and the red jacket was a very popular breed, and of course the clubs were full of red jacket and mounts bay sailors, now the majority of the racer types have moved on to high speed skiffs and cats.

Time moves forward and if we look after our old TS's they will be around for many more years to come. Some people complain about the old fibreglass boats, but it will be interesting to see if the modern plastic skiffs make it into double or triple decades or if they just end up as landfill as they fracture and fail due to the high stresses being applied.

Inshore Skipper

peets wrote:

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '14, 22:31 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1034 times
surfsideminer wrote:
... it will be interesting to see if the modern plastic skiffs make it into double or triple decades or if they just end up as landfill as they fracture and fail due to the high stresses being applied.

The value of a skiff (or any other development class boat) lies entirely in being competitive. Once they are no longer competitive, since they don't do anything else well beside race, they are scrap. Their rigs live on on RL24 hulls!

Scow Moths hung around for many years at very cheap prices because they were fun fast boats that didn't require all that much skill. There were people around (like me) who were prepared to pay a few hundred for a fun boat.

Most trailer sailers have hung around because they do "trailer sailer" (eg: floating sailing camper trailer) reasonably well, even though newer faster designs have appeared..

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '14, 13:01 
Midshipman

Where do people get their gear and sails from? Any particular places?

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '14, 21:07 
Inshore Skipper

peets wrote:
Where do people get their gear and sails from? Any particular places?

Bits and pieces from Whitworths Marine.

Sails will depend on how much you want to spend but there are a couple of local sail lofts and if your mast and boom are original they will probably have the patterns on file.

PostPosted: May 20th, '18, 03:45 
Midshipman

Name: Nigel
Boat: Sunmaid 20

I all I bought a TS Feb2018 and so far Ive launched it from Point Walter, Leeuwin ramp east freo, Woodmans point and safety Bay. So far Safety bay warnbro sound has been the beast sailing so far. Are they many active Perth members still here?

PostPosted: May 20th, '18, 23:19 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 34 times
Hi Nigel, welcome , I sail mostly out of Mindarie I would like to try the river but not really found any decent ramp NOR.
Enjoy your sailing

PostPosted: May 20th, '18, 23:26 
Midshipman

Gezza wrote:
Hi Nigel, welcome , I sail mostly out of Mindarie I would like to try the river but not really found any decent ramp NOR.
Enjoy your sailing

Leeuwin ramp east fremantle is a good ramp with a dock but id very busy on the weekend. I got a $100 fine anzac day by the time I got my boat in the water all the parking bays were full but I still go there midweek on my days off.