It is currently Sep 19th, '18, 09:10

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sydney Harbour
PostPosted: Dec 7th, '13, 18:35 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
Easy drive up, trailer great. Overnight at mittagong by the lake. Early into Syd to find a tender, got one but boy it was interesting on the narrow lanes! Launch Roseville.... Very good ramp. Boat flew off the trailer but pulled up short at the end of the webbing, good thing as would have gone a long way. Perfect weather. Lucked the last public mooring at 6pm when a big stinkie called it a day. Very nice!

View from mooring - you'd never know this is in the heart of bustling Sydney http://youtu.be/agPetYcZKBw

Stay tuned for day two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma
Macgregor 26X - Lollipop Apocalypse

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: 3 doug9535 (Dec 7th, '13, 19:07), INMA (Dec 7th, '13, 21:19), Yebo (Dec 7th, '13, 19:20)
  Rating: 14.29%

Post subject: Re: Sydney Harbour
PostPosted: Dec 7th, '13, 18:54 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Overnight at mittagong by the lake

Tied up at Roseville ready to go

Happy sailor with funny hat.

Heading down the upper reaches of middle harbour

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: 5 Cooper (Dec 7th, '13, 18:58), doug9535 (Dec 7th, '13, 19:09), INMA (Dec 7th, '13, 21:19), spongeblob (Dec 7th, '13, 23:57), Yebo (Dec 7th, '13, 19:21)
  Rating: 23.81%

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '13, 19:54 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 9 times
Where was the video taken?

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '13, 21:24 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi Juskid that video taken in Bantry Bay

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '13, 00:19 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 93 times
Ric,

looks great - thanks for the reports - Sydney Harbour is definitely on our list. Just wondering what was the Roseville boat ramp like? Room for rigging a TS ok? Is parking expensive?

Thanks, looking forward to hearing more about your trip,

Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '13, 17:13 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day 2 bantry bay to the spit

Sailed back to Roseville to go to the toilet, then tried to sail upwind into 10 building nor'easter back up to bantry bay then round the corner into sugarloaf. Gave up, massive lee helm and tacking every minute, plus couldn't point. Fired up iron spinnaker dropped genoa and motored up to the entry to sugarloaf.

insane houses

Raised main and ran, reached and beat into very fickle breeze with the wind funnelling down from the hills in great spurts. Downwind into sugarloaf to check out the other moorings, they are deep in the bay. Turned around to beat back out and found I can't really go to windward just under main either. But persisted and came out, ran down to Northbridge Sailing club and watches the Optis and F11s getting trained. God the kids throw those little optimists about. They are also faster than Fair Haven (under main)

Dropped main in sailors bay and motored up towards spit, thought I might go the other side but decided to wait till tomorrow. Picked up a short term mooring inside spit (2hrs) and rang Dalbora Marina. Yep they can fit me in, which is great, tonight's the first night for the crew and outside the marina it's incredibly rolly.

Wandered over to check out another club I raced at in the 80s MHYC. Massive kids program and they were having a ball.
ImageImage

Relaxed, then realised had some maintenance to do. Went to find the replacement split link for anchor chain but it's nowhere. Pulled the old one off and basically came apart in the vice grips. Replaced it with a too-big gal shackle. It will probably catch but that's better than it letting go.

Realised I need to add seizing wire to my toolkit. Made shackle secure with a SS split pin.

Sat down and watched this monster come alongside, side on with wind and tide pushing it away from marina. Third approach he got it just right. Still, clif he broke it he could always get another one. Image

Good restaurants here ranging from places where the guy with the 80ft stinky would eat to a rib/pizza joint. Ribs for me! Signing off.

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: doug9535 (Dec 8th, '13, 19:12)
  Rating: 4.76%

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '13, 20:03 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day 3 spit to rush cutters bay

Ok coffee at 'plonk' other side of spit from Dalbora. Replaced ice - wow still lots of good ice - ice boxes are great, hadn't used mine before. Left at 930 to potter round before the bridge opening at 10:15. Raced thru, watched one boat miss it by 30 seconds, 2 hr wait for him. Cruised up along clontarf beach in close then into castle rock beach. Awesome spot on a Monday! Put fam in tender, got weight dist wrong and had 2" freeboard at stern. Made it. Swimming, crab hunting, sand castles, great bush walk.

View from walk

Big sail from castle rock to rushcutters bay. 18 kts in the beam and genoa up sitting on 5.5 kts up to the heads. Very lumpy

Bore off and check out watsons bay, no wind and lumpy. Came back into harbour and ran downwind for 1.5 hrs to cyca. Crew all asleep.

Checked into cyca, very busy spot. Small but good playground near here, follow the sea wall to the end.

Retired to cyca bistro, awesome linguini. Felt a few spots of rain then whoosh, 30kts from the north. I had doubled spring lines but went back to check anyway. All ok but v rolly now. Gave kid iPad and sat thru the rain and wind till it abated. Super calm now and warm (26deg), northerly blew itself out v quickly.

View from cockpit ( excuse toes)Image

More tomoz.

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '13, 20:17 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi duncan. Sorry missed your post. Roseville is pretty good, parking is very tight on weekend. The nearest shops are forestville where it is impossible to park with boat anywhere near the shops. I ended up walking 700m with shopping trolley full of provisions. Space for only three or four TS to rig up, the rest is not suitable (trees). I think derigging will be a prob as lots of overhanging trees in the exit section. Will report back when I know more. Stinkie owner most irate that I took my time manoeuvring l over to the drop off wharf so he cut in on me then yelled obscenities . F-wit. I politely. suggested he pick up sailing as it's great for blood pressure issues and I would want him to die of a heart attack just when I need to use the pontoon. So apart from that it's a thumbs up. Oh, one more thing. Parking is $7 a day and you can only get 5 days at a time, so if your planning more than that get a yearly pass (national park). I'll hear over in mums car on thu to top it up.

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: doug9535 (Dec 10th, '13, 21:40)

PostPosted: Dec 10th, '13, 16:26 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day 4 cyca to Mosman and back

Woke to a brisk westerly so headed over to Mosman under motor, pottered up to Mosman rowers, I can't understand how so many people can afford these incredible houses. Anyhow, snuk around to Sirius cove and anchored in a metre of water, sand bottom. Great to get inside all the moorings. Awesome swim, big shallows,walk, relax. Breeze built and coming over the hill in bullets from all directions. Super sarca #3 held great getting pulled this way and that (6m rode all chain).
Slipped on rock and cut toe on oyster (injury #1)

Watched some kind of WWII fighter flying over the harbour (spitfire?)

Lunch then back out to harbour. Wind 25 kts gusting more and had to navigate across some form of race with the 100 footers getting ready for Hobart. Huge fleet of stinkies made a mess. Got picked up by a bunch of waves at once then dropped, heard a thump and scream. 4yo had done an accidental ninja leap across the cabin. No bones broken but bruised (injury #2).

Noticed no tell tale from yam8 about half way across so crossed fingers and pushed on. It kept going.

Pulled into pontoon, Rachael jumped off at the shrouds to tie up bow and concrete was massive hot, no blisters but v sore feet. (Injury #3).

Learnt: shoes, always unless walking on sand. When lumpy everyone's either in cockpit or lying down. Not scampering around inside.

Very quiet afternoon kicking back under the boom tent. 4 yo started a long career of cheating at UNO (gets it from his Dad)

No new pics today as swum from boat to beach.

Now to work out why no tell tale...

PostPosted: Dec 10th, '13, 16:27 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day 4 cyca to Mosman and back

Woke to a brisk westerly so headed over to Mosman under motor, pottered up to Mosman rowers, I can't understand how so many people can afford these incredible houses. Anyhow, snuk around to Sirius cove and anchored in a metre of water, sand bottom. Great to get inside all the moorings. Awesome swim, big shallows,walk, relax. Breeze built and coming over the hill in bullets from all directions. Super sarca #3 held great getting pulled this way and that (6m rode all chain).
Slipped on rock and cut toe on oyster (injury #1)

Watched some kind of WWII fighter flying over the harbour (spitfire?)

Lunch then back out to harbour. Wind 25 kts gusting more and had to navigate across some form of race with the 100 footers getting ready for Hobart. Huge fleet of stinkies made a mess. Got picked up by a bunch of waves at once then dropped, heard a thump and scream. 4yo had done an accidental ninja leap across the cabin. No bones broken but bruised (injury #2).

Noticed no tell tale from yam8 about half way across so crossed fingers and pushed on. It kept going.

Pulled into pontoon, Rachael jumped off at the shrouds to tie up bow and concrete was massive hot, no blisters but v sore feet. (Injury #3).

Learnt: shoes, always unless walking on sand. When lumpy everyone's either in cockpit or lying down. Not scampering around inside.

Very quiet afternoon kicking back under the boom tent. 4 yo started a long career of cheating at UNO (gets it from his Dad)

No new pics today as swum from boat to beach.

Now to work out why no tell tale...

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: doug9535 (Dec 10th, '13, 21:42)

PostPosted: Dec 10th, '13, 16:33 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Odd, tell tale working again. Nice strong squirt. Maybe had a blockage. Whatever it is is likely to jam it up again. Just gave it a blow with compressed air but it's a tricky passage down past the iimpellor and unlikely to have shot it out the bottom. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Dec 10th, '13, 16:49 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1038 times
Salt encrusts the coldest part - the outlet.

The warmer water is, the more salt it can dissolve, so salt deposits tend to happen at the outlet where the surrounding aluminium is exposed to cooler ambient air.

If you clear it promptly with something suitable (pipe cleaner? straw? piece of wire? twig?) it shouldn't build up enough to cause any problem.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: ricdanger (Dec 11th, '13, 14:17)

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '13, 07:44 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 104 times
I keep a piece of plastic whipper snipper cord in my tool box for this type of thing.
Flexible, doesnt rust and cheap.

For this message the author AZAmagnum has received thanks: 3 MargGannet (Dec 11th, '13, 10:00), ricdanger (Dec 11th, '13, 14:17), zebedee (Dec 11th, '13, 12:58)
  Rating: 14.29%

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '13, 14:43 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 265 times
I had a rusty paperclip for the yammy 8 that I would give the tell tale a ream out (while running) once every few days out. Seems that they are more prone than other outboards ive owned.

Tunks has areas you can park car trailer without the fee.

CYC - you can usually get a spot close in for a small boat, but this time of year might make it harder.

Rowers: Pull up and tie off to scout pontoon mid week (you can't tie off to rowers pontoon due to a$$hole resident) for a beer at the rowers. Meal downstairs is good also.

Stop off at Clifton Gardens (Chowder bay) on the way back around to spit. Nice swimming (pool also) and coffee, anchor close in etc.

Sounds like a good trip!

For this message the author Furstin has received thanks: ricdanger (Dec 11th, '13, 22:07)

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '13, 22:28 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day ummm....really in holiday mode, what day is it anyway?

Cyca to birkenhead

8-10kt westerly and sun beating down, our course is a good 5 NM to the west so left the boom tent up and motored thru. Left cyca about 10, motored throne and around garden island (Louis most impressed... Go get the bad guys!!), farm cove, black wattle bay. Thought about stopping but didn't. Through balmain birchgrove then down the inner harbour. Pointed out the faded graffiti that someone did to Greenwich sailing club where I spent 2 days a week for 8 years saying "hello Richard L", but too faded, much like my glorious racing days. Circumnavigated cockatoo island, told Louis and Rachael about the time I crashed into a submarine in my flying eleven. Arrived Birkenhead about 2pm, nearly fell off boat when sandal got stuck in boom tent guy line (reminder to self: shoes, not sandals or bare feet). Got allocated an aged but massive berth, big enough for even me to navigate into. Sushi late lunch the. Pack and wait 1:15hrs for a taxi to ryde. Dinner with sister and fam now tucked up in dentist one with Mum.

Tomorrow a lay day, Rachael working with the execs of Laing orourke so will head down to whitworths to get some dinghy rubber as Anthony (Louis' choice of name for the tender, also the name of his 17yo half brother) has been picking holes out of fair havens gelcoat.

Nice Pinot and Thai chicken salad tonight. Louis taught his step grandmother how to play UNO, very interesting rule interpretation as explained by a 4yo to a sixty-something. Still she managed to win one, which was the most surprising incident of the day.

Injuries: 1 hurt pride as I hopped along by the side of the boat with my heel stuck and the gap between the pontoon and the boat growing ever wider and wider. Didn't get wet tho. Had a shower today, even tho it's not Friday (I think)

Here's a shot if the harbour bridge as we sailed thru

Sorry I didn't really take that, was too busy dodging ferries to get the phone out

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '13, 22:29 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day ummm....really in holiday mode, what day is it anyway?

Cyca to birkenhead

8-10kt westerly and sun beating down, our course is a good 5 NM to the west so left the boom tent up and motored thru. Left cyca about 10, motored in and around garden island (Louis most impressed... Go get the bad guys!!), farm cove, black wattle bay. Thought about stopping but didn't. Through balmain, long nose point, birchgrove then down the inner harbour. Pointed out the faded graffiti that someone did to Greenwich sailing club where I spent 2 days a week for 8 years saying "hello Richard L", but too faded, much like my glorious racing days. Circumnavigated cockatoo island, told Louis and Rachael about the time I crashed into a submarine in my flying eleven. Arrived Birkenhead about 2pm, nearly fell off boat when genuine Burke sailing sandal got stuck in boom tent guy line (reminder to self: shoes, not sandals or bare feet). Got allocated an aged but massive berth, big enough for even me to navigate into. Sushi late lunch then pack and wait 1:15hrs for a taxi to Ryde. Dinner with sister and fam now tucked up in denistone with Mum.

Tomorrow a lay day, Rachael working with the execs of Laing o'rourke so will head down to whitworths to get some dinghy rubber as Anthony (Louis' choice of name for the tender, also the name of his 17yo brother) has been picking holes out of fair havens gelcoat.

Nice Pinot and Thai chicken salad tonight. Louis taught his step grandmother how to play UNO, very interesting rule interpretation as explained by a 4yo to a sixty-something. Still she managed to win one, which was the most surprising incident of the day.

Injuries: 1 hurt pride as I hopped along by the side of the boat with my heel stuck and the gap between the pontoon and the boat growing ever wider and wider. Didn't get wet tho. Had a shower today, even tho it's not Friday (I think)

Here's a shot of the harbour bridge as we sailed thru

Sorry I didn't really take that, was too busy dodging ferries to get the phone out

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '13, 17:50 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Day 7 Birkenhead to balmoral then MHYC

After two lay days due to work commitments we slept again on fairhaven at Birkenhead. Woke to a 12kt sou'wester, perfect for our rendezvous at balmoral late morning. Cast off and set big jib and main while the crew caught up on sleep.

Breeze suddenly built to 20kts from SE as we passed balmains long nose point. Overpowered and slack foot and halyards going upwind now. Dipped the rails in the water a couple of times as bullets came thru. Under harbour bridge very shifty and fluky, no wind then 20kts, caused a couple of round ups.

In the lee of fort denison got Rachael up top and dropped genoa as we turned off the wind for a great reach under main to middle head. Avg 6kts which is very quick for this old girl with tender.

Rounded middle head and coasted up to balmoral. Perfect spot in a soueaster. Raised keel and backed up to beach. Grateful for new stern anchor.

Sat there calmly and played until family arrived.

Shook dad out of the urn and sent a few lilies off as well

The short motor down to MHYC and glad to get a hand docking as breeze still v strong.

Deciding on whether to shower....

Naaah.

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: 2 doug9535 (Dec 15th, '13, 08:29), spongeblob (Dec 14th, '13, 22:44)
  Rating: 9.52%

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '13, 18:31 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 110 times
I have enjoyed your trip , definitely one to remember
My parents are all over the prince george bank
I sail with them regularly
hope you can get back to balmoral as often as possible

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '13, 19:43 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 14 times
ric, you have inspired me to do more than day sails on the harbor. thanks for the location hints.

n

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 00:04 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 147 times
Agree. The harbour is a great family sailing destination. There is nowhere else on the world like it. Imo.

Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 23:03 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Thanks all yes it was a memorable holiday . Learnt heaps and had great fun.

Day 8 middle harbour to yass.

Woke to slight drizzle so had a bunch of coffees from the yacht club cafe. Played around on the sand then waved goodbye to Louie and Rachael who booked a car to the airport.

Tidied up boat stowed sails and went under the bridge at 2:30

Quick run down to Roseville tie up and get trailer.

Cross wind at the ramp and I couldn't work out how to get the boat straight. A fisho helped and got his son to hold a stern line. Winched up easy then stopped. I hadn't been watching the rollers and now I was off the rollers and hearing a grinding sound. Tried to push off trailer but nup, stuck. Reversed in as far as I dared and eventually floated boat off. Tried again, the guy who runs Boab Boat Hire was really helpful, big thumbs up for his assistance. Got it on straight finally and new rollers worked a treat but boy she's a heavy beast.

Only took 2 hrs to derig which is a record , then remembered I had to strap Anthony down so spent another 30 mins working out the best spot to put a 7ft tender (cockpit on its side if you were wondering). Spent 25 mins exiting roseville (the on ramps and exits both go the wrong way if you want to go/come from the city side).

Quarter tank of fuel so thought I'd fill up. Thing is, all the servos up there are tiny so decided to get petrol the other side of city. Under tunnels and out to nearly Campbeltown and haven't seen a servo yet... Eek trip computer says I have 23 km to go, one decent hill climb will use half of that so pulled off freeway to hunt down some fuel.

Stopped now outside Yass for the night. Melbourne tomoz and maybe also thru to Paynesville for summer/autumn storage/sailing.

Final thoughts:
* yamaha 8 does not stop the boat well in reverse , compared to original yam 15
* When sailing one-up set sail settings to most conservative before you need it (vang, luff tension, out haul etc)
* Sydney Harbour is a gem, could have done another week easily, but next stop Gipps Lakes and next year probably Pittwater
* because we stayed in marinas we didn't use stove or exploder once as had the luxury of eating out each night (if you call pizza eating out)
* saw Matt Belcher (470s) at middle harbour YC - lovely guy v engaging high fived Louie and The 4yo most impressed he has met the worlds most champion sailor who can sail his boat 10 out of 10. Also bumped into John Eales and Jessica Watson
* met jock Sturrock twice and load of other yachties.
* The laser sailors from MH amateurs were complete knobheads, even tho I did a season there (before retreating to lick my wounds)

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: doug9535 (Dec 16th, '13, 19:49)

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '13, 00:06 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 476 times
Sounds like a awesome trip, thanks so much for the trip report.

My Yamaha 8Hp stops me on a dime in reverse, I was being pushed into the pier at Warneet with the incoming tide (around 4 knots) and I wacked her into reverse and gave her a rev and she just took off backwards at a good rate considering the strength of the current.

Maybe the angle you have the motor adjusted to is not letting the prop bite well.

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '13, 19:50 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 4 times
Ric,
Sounds like a great trip and has given me some ideas for next year.

cheers !

Sonata 6 "Licence to Chill"
Canberra, ACT

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '13, 20:58 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 258 times
Hey Ric not sure if you are keen but would be nice to see a google earth image with your approximate trip plotted over it. Just for us out of towners to get a better idea. Looked and sounded like a fun time.

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '13, 08:55 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi Tumbleweed,
That was a really good suggestion. I've basically mapped out the trip here.

Regards
Ric

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: Tumbleweed (Dec 21st, '13, 09:54)