It is currently Sep 23rd, '17, 00:37

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 13th, '17, 23:43 
Admiral

Have thanks: 883 times
Peter Yates wrote:
CAL 14 incomplete - $600 neg. - Canberra ACT

Looks like it has hull, mast and boom plus a passable trailer. Tempted myself for spares, but will resist. No sails apparently.

Mel, Jilltars???

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yarralu ... 1159531846

Can you think of anyone who might have spare sails to complete it?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 07:54 
Admiral

Have thanks: 240 times
zebedee wrote:
Peter Yates wrote:

Can you think of anyone who might have spare sails to complete it?

Methinks you are talking about me Zeb! I do have a spare set of original CAL14 sails which I will probably never use again since my new ones work so much better. I am a bit attached to them though as they are so light and flexible to handle and store, plus there is the originality factor.

I am looking for a small (read "tiny") jib on hanks to use when the sea-breeze gets over 20 knots but not sure if I want to ditch the old sails at the moment.

By the way, the CAL in Canberra is also missing a rudder and has no motor, so it is a fair way from useable.

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 17:00 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 26 times
Alex Re the Cal 14 at ocean Shores.
Check your PM's.

Cheers, Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 17th, '17, 04:19 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 7 times
Peter Yates wrote:

Looks like it has hull, mast and boom plus a passable trailer. Tempted myself for spares, but will resist. No sails apparently.

Mel, Jilltars???

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yarralu ... 1159531846
The last time I rode past this one the trailer seemed to be missing a wheel. It's been outdoors at Canberra yacht club for many years, in the corner of the yard.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sep 17th, '17, 14:26 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 1 time
alexstj wrote:
Peter Yates wrote:

Mel, Jilltars???

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yarralumla/sail-boats/small-trailer-sailer-for-sale-/1159531846
The last time I rode past this one the trailer seemed to be missing a wheel. It's been outdoors at Canberra yacht club for many years, in the corner of the yard.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Greetings All, newbie here. This boat is close to where I live and I had a look at it yesterday. The trailer has the wheel but the tyre is flat and looks basically destroyed. Also there is a deep hole in the keel at the bow, like someone punched a rod through it. Beats me how that happened. The boat has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum when it was covered in dirt and mould which has been cleaned off. Having read all your wonderful knowledge and advice and interesting stories for a while now, I'd decided on a Cal 14 to buy sometime...one day... in the future. Now this forlorn little one has turned up and I'm sorely tempted but that would be thoroughly stupid wouldn't it ? Please tell me it would. No sails, no rudder, rusty trailer, holes....no experience aaargh Maybe it's sold, might go have another look :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

Jocelyn
Heron 'Will 'O The Wisp'

PostPosted: Sep 17th, '17, 18:24 
Admiral

Hi Jocelyn and welcome to TSP,
As usual, recommending a boat is fraught with danger as there are so many variables. For example are you able to do lots of work to get a boat up to scratch or would you be paying someone to do those jobs? Do you have much previous sailing experience? Do you want a boat purely to gain experience with or do you want one that will perhaps provide the ability in the future to carry a few passengers and sleep in?

I have a CAL14 and I love it. But it is not a typical "trailer sailer" in that it is very small (and cute), so has almost no accommodation and is quite sensitive to the weight of crew (you need to sit on the right side when the wind is blowing!). It is more like a decent sailing dinghy with a small cabin for storage or last resort sleeping. It is more seaworthy than most dinghies because it has fixed ballast low in the hull and it is harder to swamp due to the foredeck and cabin. It is also designed to mount a small outboard so you can motor if required. So it is at the minimalist end of trailer-sailers.

Having said all that, the CAL is a real conversation starter due to its diminutive appearance, it is pretty easy to trail, rig and launch and it actually sails really well if the sails are in reasonable condition.

But a CAL without sails, motor, rudder assembly, a dodgy trailer, a hole in the hull and who knows what else is not the best proposition unless you are very capable of doing the repairs and have a budget to buy sails, motor etc.

To give you an idea, my new sails cost about $1,200. A fair condition 2nd hand motor might add another $400 plus (my new one cost $1,200) and then you have the construction of a rudder assembly, hull repairs and getting the trailer roadworthy and registered - another $500 or possibly much more.

So even if they gave you the boat, you are probably looking at well over $2,000 plus a lot of work to get it useable. All a good learning experience if that is what you want, but not what I would recommend otherwise.

Almost all second hand boats will need some repairs and money spent, but if you are lucky or careful, you can look around and pick up some very nice boats in the 15' to 18' range for well under $5,000.

I feel like I have put you off the CAL but unless you have deep pockets, even a little boat can end up costing a lot unless it is in top condition to start with.

PS. I also had a Heron at one stage of my multiboat career :oops:

For this message the author Peter Yates has received thanks: 2 guzzis3 (Sep 18th, '17, 09:52), Lazedaze (Sep 18th, '17, 02:04)
  Rating: 10%

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 02:03 
Midshipman

Thank you Peter, for the thoughtful reply and info. Number crunching is always a reality slap. I'm really going to have to learn to sail again after many, many moons of being "beached as". Lake B.G. is waking from hibernation so I might just unwrap and polish up the Heron and see what turns up meanwhile. She's as solid as a rock; what could possibly go wrong :lol:

For this message the author Lazedaze has received thanks: MelN (Sep 18th, '17, 13:29)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 08:27 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 446 times
Yes the Cal 14 would of been good for someone with a heap of old dinghy gear around they could repurpose but starting from scratch it could be a expensive project to end up with a boat that really doesnt have a great resale value when you feel its time to move up in size.

You have to do your homework before contemplating buying a incomplete or project boat to ensure you dont seriously over capitalize it, and while I think most of us have spent more on our boats than we could ever recoup at sale its something to be kept in mind

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

For this message the author sailboatmike has received thanks: Lazedaze (Sep 18th, '17, 20:37)

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 10:03 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 14 times
Peter Yates wrote:
Hi Jocelyn and welcome to TSP,
snip..
I feel like I have put you off the CAL but unless you have deep pockets, even a little boat can end up costing a lot unless it is in top condition to start with.

Perfect reply. Well done.

I went to look at a cal 14 maybe 10 years back. $1500 in good order ready to go. Walked away. They are fascinating boats and great for what they are, but you need a purpose for it. There are other small options that offer useful accommodation and could not be much heavier, and for some reason cal 14 owners are asking significant money now. Seems they have a cult following...

A cheap boat usually isn't. There are always lots of people keen to buy them because they always think they can do it up for less than the cost of buying a good one. Truth is it always ends up costing more. The only good reason to do it is if you want everything just your way, and you know you will spend more getting it right.

Consider exactly what you want then go buy a boat to fit that purpose.

For this message the author guzzis3 has received thanks: Lazedaze (Sep 18th, '17, 20:38)

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 10:24 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 233 times
Peter Yates wrote:

I have a CAL14 and I love it. But it is not a typical "trailer sailer" in that it is very small (and cute

Was Peter, was, now Jeff has stolen your thunder making the Cal look like the QEII :wink:

Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 10:53 
Admiral

Bligh wrote:
Peter Yates wrote:

I have a CAL14 and I love it. But it is not a typical "trailer sailer" in that it is very small (and cute

Was Peter, was, now Jeff has stolen your thunder making the Cal look like the QEII :wink:

I still think Jeff will think the CAL is cute when he runs out of wind at Eppalock and I tow him home. But yes, the Minuet does take "cute" and "conversation starter" to a new level.

Actually I just had a thought - maybe a decent cordless drill with a small prop would work for the Minuet??? :)

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 13:40 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 131 times
Quote:
They are fascinating boats and great for what they are, but you need a purpose for it.

The beauty of the Cal 14 for me is twofold:
It is effectively a ballasted dinghy, ideal for sailing solo with minimum rigging time, but without the same need to use your body weight to keep it upright (I am not a fan of unscheduled swimming).
It looks like a little ship - I can spend hours admiring mine when it is parked in the driveway.

Quote:
for some reason cal 14 owners are asking significant money now.

I haven't found that. A good package of sails, trailer, outboard and hull, plus safety gear...even a recreational dinghy can go for a couple of grand, whereas the Cal 14 has several advantages for older/less mobile/nervous sailors - and they are great in a blow. Really hold their own in windy conditions against larger boats because of the skeg keel.

Not that I am biased. ;-)

For this message the author MelN has received thanks: 2 Lazedaze (Sep 18th, '17, 20:59), Peter Yates (Sep 18th, '17, 14:24)

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 14:24 
Admiral

My driveway is around the side of the house, so I am forced to have a big canvas print (my avatar photo) on the wall where I can enjoy it.

Yes they do have a nice seaworthy shape to the hull and yes the long straight skeg does hold a bit of ballast as well as helping the boat to track really nicely.

Not a load carrier and not super-fast (it is a displacement 14 footer after all!), but a perfect boat for pottering and as I found last time at the lakes, more than capable of a 30km trip from Duck Arm around Raymond Island and back in a bit over 4 hours.

For this message the author Peter Yates has received thanks: 2 Lazedaze (Sep 18th, '17, 21:00), MelN (Sep 19th, '17, 14:47)

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 21:46 
Midshipman

MelN wrote:
It is effectively a ballasted dinghy, ideal for sailing solo with minimum rigging time, but without the same need to use your body weight to keep it upright (I am not a fan of unscheduled swimming).
It looks like a little ship - I can spend hours admiring mine when it is parked in the driveway.

- and they are great in a blow. Really hold their own in windy conditions against larger boats because of the skeg keel.

Yes, these things appeal to me too. Now that I've seen one face to face, the size seems very manageable for a greenie as I'm more likely to be day sailing on Lake B.G than overnighting and also will be towing for hours to get anywhere else. I also like the look off the Explorer 16 but have yet to see one. Enjoying the journey of looking at boats :D
Had to google "skeg keel" which I hadn't noticed before.

Peter Yates wrote:
a perfect boat for pottering and as I found last time at the lakes, more than capable of a 30km trip from Duck Arm around Raymond Island and back in a bit over 4 hours.

Have also been googling Duck Arm and Raymond Island; this is a whole new world :D

Last edited by Lazedaze on Sep 19th, '17, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 22:53 
Admiral

A final comment about the CAL 14 is that despite their tiny size, they carry about as much ballast as an RL24 and probably more than a Botterill Explorer. They weigh in at about 300kgs compared to a typical 14' dinghy which will usually be less than 100kgs. They draw nearly 400mm due to the skeg and that is more than my South Coast 25. So they are a pretty solid little boat with some pretensions to being a big boat. An interesting hybrid.

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 23:22 
Administrator

Have thanks: 386 times
Peter Yates wrote:
Bligh wrote:
Peter Yates wrote:

I still think Jeff will think the CAL is cute when he runs out of wind at Eppalock and I tow him home. But yes, the Minuet does take "cute" and "conversation starter" to a new level.

Peter,
Standard on a Minuet is a "Praddle". It is fitted to the inside of the cabin and is a hand paddle for getting about when the wind drops.

For this message the author MoodyBlue has received thanks: Peter Yates (Sep 18th, '17, 23:50)

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 19:31 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 14 times
I don't know if anyone is interested. We go to Balmoral most tuesdays for a movie and lunch. We often drive past a yellow cal 14 "windblown". I can stop and take a photo next time if anyone cares...