Autopilot Remotes

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Tymadman
Able Skipper

Autopilot Remotes

Post by Tymadman » Nov 10th, '14, 08:28

I'm bringing out a new model remote soon - the AP-WRC3. This will supersede the AP-WRC2 and will cost a little more as it will have professionally manufactured circuits board (made in Adelaide in fact) and custom plastic enclosures. I've added a DIP switch to enable or disable the 'Standby' command from button B as some people do t want to have the risk of accidentally putting the autopilot into Standby mode.

I'm not sure exactly when I'll have the AP-WRC3 for sale as it depends on when I receive the new enclosures and circuit boards but will be before December all going well.

BTW, the remotes have now been proven to work with the Evolution autopilots (via a SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk converter) so will work with any Raymarine autopilot (with SeaTalk).

If you are planning to get a remote control for your Raymarine autopilot then grab an AP-WRC2 from me before they are no longer available and the price goes up for the AP-WRC3. Send me a pm for TSP discount and payment details.

Cheers,
Neil.
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

sailboatmike
Yachtmaster

Re: Autopilot Remotes

Post by sailboatmike » Nov 11th, '14, 07:45

Mate Im waiting for you to make the complete tiller pilot, seems your electronics and quality are far better than Raymarine and the others that make a killing from selling hardware that isnt really fit for purpose :lol:

Can it really be that hard? (I ask this a total electronics dummy) :lol:
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Nov 11th, '14, 14:02

Mike, thanks for the kind words. The electronics side isn't difficult if you're into electronics. I think the Raymarine products are actually very good and I look forward to the day where my products roll off the production line in the same way :-)
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Nov 20th, '14, 20:36

Hi everyone,

I've run out of AP-WRC2 remotes so from now on I'll be selling the new model AP-WRC3 (although it won't be until December when they'll be available). The AP-WRC3 will be slightly more expensive because they'll cost me more to produce but I'll still be offering a TSP discount so make sure you contact me by TSP pm if you plan to buy one.
Thank you to those that have purchased AP-WRC2s, I trust you'll get good service from them.
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward » Nov 20th, '14, 23:31

Neil, nice writeup in Andrew Evams "Single Handed Sailing" hard copy book. "This autopilot remote control from Madman Marine clips to my harness for immediate use whenever I am on the boat. I find the remote especially useful to make minute-to-minute tiny adjustments to my heading in puffs and lulls, keeping maximum speed without leaving my position on the rail." page 88.
Last edited by duncanhayward on Nov 20th, '14, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Nov 21st, '14, 15:21

Yes, I'm quite proud of that :-). He doesn't really make it obvious in the book but he really likes my remote and uses it frequently.
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Nov 21st, '14, 23:59

Just in case I haven't made it clear before, I am in total awe of you taking a few notes I found online, creating a working unit, and then turning the whole lot into a viable product and a serious business.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Nov 25th, '14, 13:04

The timing was right Zeb :-)
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Dec 14th, '14, 15:07

The last AP-WRC2 went to a TSP member a couple of weeks ago and my new model AP-WRC3 is now available. I've made some changes based on feedback from customers. The main changes are: 3m cable with bigger conductors, a switch to enable or disable being able to select 'Standby' mode from Button B, and a new custom case.
Remember to contact me by pm or email for the TSP discount if you want to buy one.
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Post by Frank Peters » Dec 28th, '14, 09:00

Hi All,

Why don’t you use remote controls from some of the kids toys, cheap, simple and easy to convert to auto pilot.

Regards Frank

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Dec 29th, '14, 09:38

Good thinking Frank! Not sure how many toys come with a SeaTalk interface however.
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

mees
Able Skipper

Post by mees » Dec 29th, '14, 10:07

If you buy a Madman remote now get a useless toy for free !

Yeah I think that would work ;)
Mees

Farr 6000 "Rosie"

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Dec 29th, '14, 15:26

Maybe Frank should buy one of Madman's devices and with the money saved from buying a useless toy, he could afford an Epirb for his crossing to Raymond Island? :-)
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

pdandy
Yachtmaster

Post by pdandy » Dec 29th, '14, 15:52

Frank Peters wrote:Hi All,

Why don’t you use remote controls from some of the kids toys, cheap, simple and easy to convert to auto pilot.

Regards Frank
Tinyman remotes are waterproof....unlike MR Ray remotes :evil: and his good friend the made in china the remote control yacht :evil:
noelex 25 green velvet

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Post by Frank Peters » Dec 29th, '14, 17:54

Hi All,

remote control has been on the market for last 60 years.

I was involved in building model planes and boats in my teens and it was expensive but reliable.

Even when I swapped from planes to girls(I should never do that) technology became even better.

I would like to see remote control for all functions , like motor speed, forward and reverse, autopilot and even dropping the anchor should be remote.

For that you don’t need see talk or any other strange language

Mobile phone should be part of the system, so if you have boat on Raymond island, you should be able to get it back with you wife remotely. ( she has not have boat license).

Just remember simplicity is the way to advance.
Regards Frank

sailboatmike
Yachtmaster

Post by sailboatmike » Dec 30th, '14, 07:48

The local hobby shop was selling 4 Channel 2.4Ghz remote systems with receiver for $59 the other day.

I did see an interesting tiller steering device driven by a 12 volt drill the other day, not really a tiller pilot but more a steering assistant, would make a good little project for you Frank, it just uses shock chord to keep the tensions on the tiller, looked easy enough but I have too many projects on the go already to even think about starting a new one
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Post by Frank Peters » Dec 30th, '14, 08:03

Hi All,

using electric battery drill for different project is the latest innovation.

I have seen drill powering push bike and it would be my priority if my Honda flexible shaft from the back pack does not work.
Now I have to do some last minute packing and we will head of to Paynesville, to meet our friends who survived 50 knots wind yesterday.

Regards Frank

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Jan 1st, '15, 19:07

My "Remote" is called "Ernie"

Total cost to build was around $20.

It consists of a worm drive motor, some cable, a self centering switch, some electrical conduit, and some gas strut parts, and a hand made bracket that slots into where our boarding ladder normally mounts.

Cable is 26 feet long and clips onto my belt. While single handing it lets me steer from anywhere on the boat, including the porta potti.

For the type of sailing I do it works perfectly, and when not needed it lifts off the ball (Rudder end) and pin (Transom End) and lives in a locker. Power comes from the power box I have on the inner cockpit wall which has a couple of receptacles inside,
Attachments
MB Steering 5.jpg
MB Steering 3.jpg
MB Steering 2.jpg
MB Steering 1.jpg

sailboatmike
Yachtmaster

Post by sailboatmike » Jan 2nd, '15, 10:06

Very nice Jeff, I was thinking about a wiper motor as they are normally sealed units, but these is of course the change of axis problem, maybe a drive linkage from a blown up 4" angle grinder might do the job
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Jan 2nd, '15, 12:03

Mike,
MkI version was a wiper motor from a Mazda 808.

I used a Dremel to modify the stopping location inside on the crown wheel part so it limits the travel to 180 degrees.

It worked OK, but I came across this push-pull motor which had a longer stroke and it is perfect.

The switch is from a car antennae up/down in the days before they were automatic.

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Post by Frank Peters » Jan 16th, '15, 17:52

Hi All,

remote controller with solenoids, designed for high current 12v on eBay for $65. It can handle trailer winch, autopilot, or keel winch.
No need to mess around to build you own and it is water proofed.

Regards Frank.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 16th, '15, 22:00

Frank Peters wrote:Hi All,

remote controller with solenoids, designed for high current 12v on eBay for $65. It can handle trailer winch, autopilot, or keel winch.
No need to mess around to build you own and it is water proofed.

Regards Frank.
How would you propose to interface this with an autopilot?

For a winch which already has solenoids (and don't they all?) you can buy a remote only for about $10 to $15. We fitted one to Ray's trailer in half an hour just before xmas.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Post by Frank Peters » Jan 16th, '15, 23:09

Hi All,

many boat winches don’t have solenoids, only manual switch and only one way rotation.

Regards Frank

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Apr 20th, '15, 23:21

I've finally got round to writing an Android version of my iSteer app at long last. I get frequent inquiries about when an Android version will be available so am glad to be able to say that it is ready to go. For those who don't know, the iSteer app lets you use your smartphone to control your Raymarine autopilot via one of my AP-WRC3iF remote controls. It's very handy to have the autopilot's course and heading displayed so you can instantly see that a course change has been registered by the autopilot.

Click here to see iSteer for Android Screenshots
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

chique2016
Midshipman

Post by chique2016 » Jan 6th, '17, 07:52

Just bench tested my new Raymarine ST1000 with the Madmanmarine wifi keyfob interface.

Have to say it's one of the easiest installations I have ever done , simple and uncomplicated.

Hardest bit was getting the fuse sorted for the feed :-)

Impressed so far and looking forward to some sea trials this coming April

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”