Hidden gem behind the dirt

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hidden gem behind the dirt

Post by Tezza » Oct 14th, '18, 13:34

FD72B061-A8C8-4D60-8F9E-AEFEFE55501A.jpeg
Started to clean up the cabin and one of my first priorities was to get rid of that filthy old radio
I kept on knocking my head on which went ok but I could not read as the screen was so dull and I did not know how to use ( too many buttons for me).
It has a remote control with screen set into a bulkhead and exterior stereo speakers so my thoughts turned to how to fill the holes when I took them out.
Had nothing to do at home Friday ( rain) so decided to dismantle the set and give it a clean .
What’s this! The face has the original protective plastic on it still . I peel it off and I’ve got a brand new looking mp3 CD radio. Contacted axis and they immediately sent a manual .
Hell I’ve used the spot on the switchboard for my depth sounder . Can I run another item off the same but just not turn it on or should I get a bigger switchboard. Oh does this mean I need a bigger battery .
Sonata 6 Mango

az100
Able Skipper

Re: Hidden gem behind the dirt

Post by az100 » Oct 14th, '18, 16:13

Your depth sounder will put out a (clicking) electrical noise when it runs so connecting a radio to the same wires might not be a good idea. You could try those clip on ferrite core halves to suppress interference - had to do that on my chart plotter to remove interference at the stereo.
If you are short on switchboard circuits you could use the 2 way radio circuit perhaps to power your stereo. Also keep in mind most stereo's have an extra non switched +12v wire to the battery for keeping the stations memory powered when the radio is off.

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: Hidden gem behind the dirt

Post by Tezza » Oct 14th, '18, 18:29

Thanks for that az . Might try using the 12v outlet ( cigarette lighter ) . It’s rarely used.
Sonata 6 Mango

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”