It is currently Dec 15th, '17, 05:52

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 14:00 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 54 times
Does anyone have a suggestion for reducing - or even better, eliminating - radio interference when the fridge is running and also when charging the house battery? Increasing the distance between the radio and the offending items is not practical. Is there maybe an additional circuit or little electronic something that could be "inserted"?
Thanks,
Pete

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 14:39 
Admiral

Have thanks: 494 times
I never turn the radio on so have never experienced that. Doesn't help I know, but it's all I can offer. :lol:

Coops.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 15:08 
Admiral

Have thanks: 920 times
There are two main paths for such interference into the radio; via the antenna or via the power supply.

Start by disconnecting the antenna and seeing if this makes a difference; if it does then you know you're trying to protect the antenna and antenna lead from interference. If it doesn't then you're trying to clean up the DC supply.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 16:02 
Able Skipper

Cooper wrote:
I never turn the radio on so have never experienced that. Doesn't help I know, but it's all I can offer. :lol:

Coops.

Thanks Coops - great answer! Always there to help! :roll:

For this message the author Tinggu has received thanks: Cooper (Jun 19th, '17, 16:42)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 16:05 
Able Skipper

zebedee wrote:
There are two main paths for such interference into the radio; via the antenna or via the power supply.

Start by disconnecting the antenna and seeing if this makes a difference; if it does then you know you're trying to protect the antenna and antenna lead from interference. If it doesn't then you're trying to clean up the DC supply.

Thanks Zeb. I'll try that next time we're on the boat. How does one "clean up" a 12V Dc supply? Or how does one protect the aerial?

I might just try Coop's method. :D

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 16:16 
Admiral

Have thanks: 920 times
Ferrites around the relevant cables is a good start. A capacitor across the power supply at the radio should help too. No doubt the electronics whizs will show up shortly, but if you'd had the boat at home, it would have been helpful to know which source you were trying to solve.

Generally speaking, its a good thing to keep the wiring for anything which produces interference (solar panel, regulator, fridge) physically separated from the wiring and antenna and lead for the radio. Don't run them parallel in a narrow space for example - I made the mistake of running my antenna lead and my solar panel to regulator leads down the inside of the same structural 1" aluminium square hollow section. What a racket that produced; I really should have known better and I wasn't at all surprised that I couldn't get away with it!

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: Tinggu (Jun 19th, '17, 23:40)

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 20:37 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 45 times
Interference was bad with my Isotherm dedicated boat fridge. I tried all the suggestions above, they were not good enough.

What fixed it in the end was a direct earth wire from the fridge metal (clamp on condenser tubing) to the battery negative.

My fridge motor runs on 3 phase AC (converted from 12V DC) and the associated electronics cause the interference. I also enclosed these electronics in a earthed metal case but that is a *very* difficult job and not recommended.

Good luck chasing that one, it can take time.
AZ100

For this message the author az100 has received thanks: Tinggu (Jun 19th, '17, 23:41)

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 21:35 
Able Skipper

zebedee wrote:

Thanks Zeb. I'll try that next time we're on the boat. How does one "clean up" a 12V Dc supply? Or how does one protect the aerial?

I might just try Coop's method. :D

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 22:26 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 113 times
Hi All,

With all the problems around the world I would not be surprise if somebody blame Russians, after all they apparently fix the US election with some interference.

Good luck if you can fix it, I don’t have this problem as I am not important, not enough to get anybody’s attention, not to mention interference.

Regards Frank

For this message the author Frank Peters has received thanks: Tinggu (Jun 19th, '17, 23:42)

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 23:45 
Able Skipper

Perhaps earthing chassis is a good start. Wish I had the boat handy.