It is currently Aug 18th, '18, 21:49

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '13, 01:40 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1034 times
Note: This was split off from a thread about using Tapatalk.

This first post provides the context.

GeoffR wrote:
I keep getting ads for Tapatalk when I open TSP.
(snip content not relevant here)

zebedee wrote:
  • TSP does not have advertising.
  • The server hosting TSP does not send you advertising with TSP.

If you get advertising when you view TSP, it is caused by software on your computer attempting to serve up advertising related to the sites you view. This sort of software or "adware" is a common hidden and unwelcome passenger with other free programs.

Since TSP uses phpBB3 software, it includes the term phpBB3 in every url.
Adware which knows nothing else about the site detects the term phpBB3 and serves up advertising for Tapatalk.

I can't speak for android devices looking at your urls and serving up ads, but that would be in character for google.

RockMan wrote:
When I installed it on the TSP server, it gave me the option to have ads.
As TSP has sufficient funds to pay its hosting, I thought we could all do without ads taking up screen space. It leaves space for more wonderful TSP posts ( and the occasional comment stupid comment by.......)

Sent from my Android Tablet

zebedee wrote:
That would seem to settle the matter; if you're getting ads on TSP on an Android device, they're also being inserted by something in your device rather than the TSP site.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '13, 01:42 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1034 times
I use an add-on to the Mozilla browser called AdBlock Plus. It is remarkable effective at removing advertising from websites; very few advertisments get through at all.

You can turn it off temporarily or permanently for particular websites. For example the BoatPoint and BoatSales websites put images of boats for sale in the same place as their advertising and AdBlock Plus can't tell them apart, so I have to put up with ads there.

If you're used to seeing advertising on most websites anyway, you may not notice when you start getting advertising from malware in your own computer; you might just think the web has got even more advertising-infested lately.

AdAware is another program to deal with malware introducing advertising at your computer.

To be honest, I've got this stuff under control on my own computers, so I don't pay a lot of attention to it, but if there are people who'd like help to get rid of unwanted advertising, either actually on the websites you visit or introduced by malware, ask here and if there's no one else more familiar with how to sort it out who speaks up, I'll have a go.

I'll spilt this post off into a new thread (that's here!) to discuss advertising issues; it will appear in both threads.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.