What motor for my RL 24?

Any details you care to add about rebuilds, problems solved, how to do etc,
INMA
Admiral

Re: What motor for my RL 24?

Post by INMA » Nov 23rd, '18, 16:51

Spudgun would be well propelled by a short shaft 5hp or 4hp outboard.

I don't know how the deck opening for the well is shaped. Spudgun might have had the area behind the cockpit cutout to reduce weight. If its a standard well, the top of the engine won't be able to turn, hence you will need an outboard with forward, neutral and reverse.

Some 4ph outboards don't have reverse.

A high thrust propeller is preferable.

Any short shaft outboard up to about 10hp will do if you cant find a 5 or 6hp at a good price.

Reverse is very handy when docking, its easy and safe to reverse in at an angle where the skipper is close to the jetty, tie off the stern then power forward to push the hull into the jetty. Without an easily operated reverse docking can be difficult.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Nov 23rd, '18, 20:55

If its the original Spudgun, then pretty much anything not needed to connect the rig to the hull, the keel and the rudder is gone! The cockpit seats ended at the outboard well and the covered storage either side of the motor in Inma was completely open down to the hull inner surface.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Nov 23rd, '18, 21:25

Found some old photos of the original Spud Gun (two words), for some reason always on starboard tack:

And the Spud Gun recently sold on BoatPoint, on port:

Perhaps only the port side is white and the starboard side is red?

I reckon there's only one Spud Gun and somebody has put a LOT of work into her!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Warrigal150
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Warrigal150 » Nov 28th, '18, 12:11

G'day Tweaker. Congratulations on your purchase of Spud Gun. It's a quick boat.

It's also a pretty "geared up to race boat" and I presume you bought it for that purpose.

Some years ago I succeeded in getting a change to the class rules whereby outboard motors must weigh a minimum of 20kg. This was to prevent a race to see who could run the lightest motor, thus compromising safety, particularly at the less experienced end of the fleet.

So please make sure whatever you buy weighs at least 20kg or you'll be stuck with lead weights in your stern.
Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.......

Warrigal150
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Warrigal150 » Nov 28th, '18, 12:13

Yep, Zeb, it got a very nice paint job.
Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.......

Tweaker
Midshipman

Post by Tweaker » Nov 29th, '18, 18:32

Hey thanks for all the comments. Thanks Warrigal, yes I had seen that rule and when I mentioned to Luke, the PO, he looked at me blankly. I suppose the rule has not been enforced given that he competed at recent Nationals and said that he only ever had 3.3hp. I guess it will be now though. I thought the 20 kg includes fuel? Is that right?

I was looking at used outboards of that weight but I decided to take advantage of Coorparoo Marine's deal for a brand new Merc 3.3 for $770 last weekend! I guess I'm looking for 7kg of lead now.

Warrigal150
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Warrigal150 » Nov 30th, '18, 08:35

Luke is a bit naughty then.

No, the rule is designed to ensure boats have at least a 5hp motor in operating position.

What was happening was that the better performing boats were beginning to get smaller and smaller outboards to lessen the weight in the stern. Which is kind of fine at Nationals etc where there is plenty of assistance if you get in strife. Plus those more experienced types are more adept in being able to spot trouble earlier and stay out of it, or get themselves out of trouble once in it. My concern was that the back end of the fleet would follow suit. And these, mostly young families, are not so well equipped. Worse, that might be the only outboard they have so when cruising or racing in open fleet passage races which aren't so well supervised, they might not be able to get out of trouble.

Hence the rule. And no, fuel doesn't count towards the weight.

At RL Nationals you're unlikely to find anyone looking into the stern of your boat to check your motor size. It's not that kind of event. Everyone's generally pretty relaxed. Measurement (and weight) rules are by and large self policed. After the racing people are more concerned with how to get (insert 12yo kid name) out in the cricket match.

The simple point is this. You occasionally find yourself in pretty nasty conditions and anything less than a 5hp outboard simply isn't powerful enough to get out of the kind of trouble I've certainly been in safely.

Return to “OUTBOARD MOTOR STUFF”