Reafixing Magnets to Flywheel.

Any details you care to add about rebuilds, problems solved, how to do etc,
Ukuri
Able Skipper

Reafixing Magnets to Flywheel.

Post by Ukuri » Mar 10th, '18, 16:23

One of the magnets on the flywheel on my recently acquired Mercury Sail Pro has come adrift. The magnets (2) are glued to the inside of the flywheel. Anybody have any suggestions on what to use to glue them back on? Lots of info on the net but it is sometimes hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. If anyone here had done it successfully I'd be keen to hear of your experience.
Cheers etc.

Ukuri
Able Skipper

Re: Reducing Magnets to Flywheel.

Post by Ukuri » Mar 10th, '18, 17:22

I wonder if one of the Mods might fix the thread title for me. I posted this via my phone and with fat fingers, suspect eyesight and the dreaded Spellcheck it came out as Reducing, not REFIXING as I had intended.

Harb
Inshore Skipper

Re: Reafixing Magnets to Flywheel.

Post by Harb » Mar 12th, '18, 23:28

Ukuri wrote:One of the magnets on the flywheel on my recently acquired Mercury Sail Pro has come adrift. The magnets (2) are glued to the inside of the flywheel. Anybody have any suggestions on what to use to glue them back on? Lots of info on the net but it is sometimes hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. If anyone here had done it successfully I'd be keen to hear of your experience.
Cheers etc.
Both of these will do a metal2metal, high temp and water resistant job.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-3g- ... e_p1560412
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gorilla-59m ... e_p1662678

In emergency you could even a plain superglue or a contact adhesive if that's all you have around , just stay away from epoxy type glues as they begin to soften when heated up.
Clean the surface with acetone to get the best adhesion possible.
cheers

colect149
Yachtmaster

Re: Reafixing Magnets to Flywheel.

Post by colect149 » Mar 13th, '18, 07:55

JB Weld. American "cold weld" two pack, read the testimonials. I was very sceptical, but this stuff is fantastic. about twenty years ago I repaired a dinner plate with it, it has survived twenty years of almost daily dishwasher washing. Since then I have repaired umpteen unfixable things all with perfect results. Only downer is it is grey when mixed.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

Return to “OUTBOARD MOTOR STUFF”