It is currently Sep 23rd, '18, 23:39

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '11, 00:45 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi All,
Finally look like being able to get away to do this cruise and have two family crew members interested.

Anyone else going this year as it surely cannot rain rain rain this time ...... :)

"Life is too short"

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '11, 15:57 
Midshipman

Hi all sailors,
We are about to send out the notices for this cruise. We are definitely running this event and hope for fine weather and good sailing. The CRYC has a new sailing committee and all should be well. If you require info please contact me and I will pass your request on so you can get answers and be added to our growing mailing list. We are definitely going in White Heather together with other club members.
Cheers Helen

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '11, 11:12 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 62 times
Hi Helen,
Just back from 3+ mths OS and catching up with posts.
Anne & I are helping out on a big YNSW youth regatta at IYC over the October LWE and came home in time for that. Weather looks iffy and hope it improves at Illawarra and northwards.
So will dip out on the HCW and Clarence River bash this year :-(.
Best wishes to entrants in the HCW and CR cruise/race.
-Bob

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '11, 00:25 
Inshore Skipper

Well it was a month ago, but it seems like just yesterday that we returned to Grafton after a week sailing on the mighty Clarence River.

What a cruise!!

I have to say that this was the best ever cruise for me, and my 2 crew members (Rex and Ken) were very impressed also.

I arrived with "Savannah" on the Sunday arvo and by the time the trusty crew turned up from Brisbane I had the boat rigged, but we decided to sleep on the hard overnight and do it easy. And easy it was with a great BBQ that evening and a similar breaky at a reasonable time that allowed a last supply trip into Grafton (more grog).

We must have been last to launch at about 11am but were too excited to care. We were so excited in fact that we missed our first rendezvous at Yallamba just a short trip (90 minutes) down the river. I still maintain that it is very easy to miss 10 boats tied up at a jetty on a river when you are having a lot of fun sailing with a new crew. The crews of the 10 boats missed us too of course but what could we expect when they were gorging themselves with food and drinks (soft of course).

The benefit of missing the lunch-stop pub of course was an early arrival and the evening-stop pub which on this occasion was a wonderful little place called Brushgrove. Other than having to make two trips each way due to the size of the inflatable, I have say that this is the stop-over that I enjoyed the most. A wonderfully quiet little spot with ice-cold beer and great food and hospitality.

Well that was Day 1 (a Pub for lunch and a Pub for dinner) and it just got better as we headed for the mouth of the Clarence, stopping at Laurence and Maclean the next day and then the great (and safe) little harbour at Iluka after passing under the raised Pacific Highway bridge at Harwood.

After almost 2 days at Iluka and Yamba it was time to retrace our footsteps but those 2 days were just as perfect as the rest of the cruise with other Pubs and plenty of other places to visit.

I will tell you more, but am off for some shut eye due to some long hours lately.

Please revisit soon to hear more of this wonderful cruise that I am definitely going to do again next year.

"Life is too short"

PostPosted: Nov 14th, '11, 12:24 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 62 times
Thanks for the report, Ian.
Might have to cruise with you there next year!
-Bob