june 2014 PPB

Get Togethers, and interesting (for this category) topics.
madmission
Able Skipper

Re: june 2014 PPB

Post by madmission » Aug 4th, '14, 07:13

Caught a fast train from Paris back to Ghent via Brussels last Friday
It's great to be back on Ozzie crawl and floating again
Saturday afternoon we were treated to a boat tour of the Ghent canals by a friend and resident ... The best way to see these old cities

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » Aug 4th, '14, 07:29

Today after provisioning for the coming week we let go the mooring lines and cruised the 20 nm or so canals to Bruges
With brilliant sunny conditions the trip through the Belgium countryside was spectacular ..... Very little traffic on the canals as its holiday time and many of the working barges are berthed while their crews enjoy the summer days with their families
After a BBQ on board we briefly checked out the old city .....it's just postcard perfect
Will be returning here to stay a few days after we have been to the coastal city of Ostend for a few nights

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Aug 4th, '14, 10:42

Madmission, your adventures make a 19th century "Grand Tour" seem like a Sunday school picnic. BTW that last shot sort of beats Melbourne's Fed Square. In case you haven't head is seventh best square in the world. Don't know how many entries - I suspect seven.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » Aug 4th, '14, 18:20

Hi collect
The town squares i have seen are the true hub of the old part of these towns
It's hard to compare them they are all so unique
Bruges I believe is world heritage listed and as expected is a grand stage
My photos don't do it justice but you can imagine what it like
This panorama is from my iPod so fairly low res the others i took around town last night after the throng had settled .....it is very popular on the tourist route

madmission
Able Skipper

june 2014 PPB

Post by madmission » Aug 5th, '14, 06:39

Travelled to Ostend , loverly canal , many bridges a few locks ...tim tams and caremello bears have greased some palms along the way and now comfortably settled in the mercator marina for next few days under the bow sprit of the namesake tall ship

Tomorrow Looking forward to the coastal tram ride to neuiwport and the closest thing to some off the beach sailing action ....

A few berths along From us is as pretty small yacht of some interest , its small , red , set up for solo and has some sail handling apparatus that is of interest....

Would love to get out for a sail on the north sea

Return to “Just Cruising”