It is currently Sep 24th, '18, 00:17

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '13, 17:59 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
Hi guys, planning the first of two weeks in a the harbour. No tender so will need to tie up or beach.

Does anyone have any must-do locations?

Also, parsley Bay, would I get under the bridge? (Mast is 9m above WL) is there a place to tie up so we can walk round to the beach?

Will spend some nights in marinas but also want to camp out for a few nights.

Cheers
Ric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma
Macgregor 26X - Lollipop Apocalypse

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '13, 20:08 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 258 times
this may help a bit. posted by BosunBob
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10770&p=116166&hilit=sydney#p116166

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '13, 22:21 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1039 times
Boating and Recreational Guide - Sydney Harbour, Port Jackson, and Parramatta River

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/publications/maps.html
http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boat ... ridge.html

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 07:11 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 265 times
Parsley bay has a shark net so no going in there. Look on ge. Still good for a night.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 07:49 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 104 times
Had a few nights in Manly(Novotel) recently while at the MJ State Titles for our son.

The beach between Manly Yacht Club and Manly Wharf seemed to be a good sandy spot in anything N to E and a little S. It could get a little rolly with the ferries tho - not sure.

Short easy stroll to all the eateries, pubs, aquarium etc. Visit Manly 16' Skiff Club. You can have a beer and a feed on the deck and look at your boat on the beach.

A word of warning. Manly is very easy on the eyes, wear sunglasses if you know what I mean ! 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 09:25 
Admiral

Furstin wrote:
Parsley bay has a shark net so no going in there. Look on ge. Still good for a night.

Beachsafe - Parsley Bay
Woollahra Council - Parsley Bay Swimming Enclosure

Looks like a very nice spot.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 09:50 
Yachtmaster

Where are you launching?

Middle harbour is a nice spot to overnight - castle rock opposite Balmoral has a nice sandy bottom and about 2m+ deep all through. Clontarf if you want to swim in a pool and have a coffee, its easy to stern too or just anchor shallow. Past the Spit bridge there is two good anchorages, Bantry Bay and Sugarloaf. Nothing there to do except bush walk (Its nice to escape a bit). Balmoral for fish and chip$ or a coffee.

As Aza mentioned, Manly is a good spot to moor and get out and see the place, go to the surf etc. There is a good holding up past the moorings in 40 baskets, or where previously mentioned.

You mentioned Eastern suburbs, ie: Parsley Bay, its more likely that you'd pickup a spare mooring for a night there, you can anchor close to the net but hard to get in from there. Watsons bay for Fish and Chips is nice - easy to stern too on the beach, have a beer at the Wato Bay.

Up past the bridge theres Darling Harbour - you can get a berth on a short term marina there, but not sure of overnight. Fish Markets for seafood (short term marina berth), theres good holding to moor there, but its noisey (Anzac bridge) and not very pleasant really, but not far from Darling Harbour, so you could easily sew it into a day trip.

Marinas.
CYC: Rushcutters, close to town by train, central to Harbour and a good spot is you want to hit the city. Not sure what time of year you are considering (ie: obviously its a tad busy up til boxing day)
Clontarf or Spit Marina: Both have good amenities, Dalboara at Spit closer to restaurants etc. I have been cheeky in the past and taken a spare berth for an hour or so, or if you are eating at the restaurant at Middle Harbour Yacht club, you can pull up and dine. Also there is a wharf at Mosman Rowing club (Spit, on the Banty side of the bridge) that I have moored at while partaking a beer at Middle Harbour Skiff Club, good if you want to go somewhere but not be dictated by bridge opening times, then head back to Bantry
Lots of others but some are removed and depends on if you plan to have a car etc.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 11:09 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 258 times
AZAmagnum wrote:
Visit Manly 16' Skiff Club. You can have a beer and a feed on the deck and look at your boat on the beach.

+1 for the skiff club. Why not go one better and moor on their jetty while having lunch? You might need to call them and check. When I lived in sydney around 2000 for 2 years it was my drinking spot of choice. Good food, great scenery, on the water and at club prices. :)

insert your boat in the red circle below :)

Attachments:
16skiff.JPG
16skiff.JPG [ 117.12 KiB | Viewed 6928 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '13, 17:05 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 21 times
You can get one of public mooring or anchor next to Taronga Zoo.There is a superb city view. I you want to dry out - SE part of Rose Bay. Hermitage Bay (small bay inside Rose Bay) is also a good spot. Are you cruising with kids? Chowder bay has a good beach and playground.
One of my favourite - Taylors bay. It has a good small beach behind moored vessels. I don't know why, it gives excellent protection form all directions.

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '13, 20:16 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Thanks for all the input guys, that's awesome. I just prepared a great document with google earth of all the places you have suggested.

Sailing with a four year old and novice crew and picking up a cheap tender in lane cove on the way thru.

The plan is
1. Fri drive to mittagong/Maryland sleep on boat
2. Go shopping for good
3. sat launch Roseville then bantry bay on my own till wife and kid fly up
4. Sun Pick up family from Dalbora spit then on the pick at castle rock
5. Mon Head over to manly inside. Go see the aquarium Overnight either at quarantine or cyca, depends on weather
7. Tues check out other main harbour places , shark/Clark Islands, whiting beach under taronga. Onight either north side at Bradley's head or inside one of the vaucluse beaches, depend on weather
8. Wed down to black wattle bay, tie up and play at fish markets. Then down to Birkenhead marina.
9. Thu/fri lay day, Rachael picked up two gigs interstate so spend time with family in ryde. Fri night Birkenhead
10. Sat back to balmoral for BBQ and scatter dads ashes (his last sail). Onite at balmoral in the sand near balmoral sailing club or castle rock
11. Sun play on MH beaches then drop family at spit for flight home . Onite at Bantry or Sugarloaf
12. Mon pull out, derig and leave the boat in storage in mittagong so can pick up on the way back up again early jan with the teenagers

For this message the author ricdanger has received thanks: doug9535 (Dec 7th, '13, 21:26)
  Rating: 4.76%

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '13, 22:24 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

So... if anyone's interested... this is the file I created with the google earth and a overlay mud map so I knew where the specific location was.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvai43a2vbcdwkz/Sydney%20Harbour.pdf (98.6 MB)

Cheers,
Ric

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '13, 23:34 
Admiral

It's a wee bit big! Nearly 100Mb!

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '13, 10:53 
Yachtmaster

I'll base the comments on it being Dec / Jan - obviously theres more traffic in summer school holidays.

The plan is
1. Fri drive to mittagong/Maryland sleep on boat
2. Go shopping for good
3. sat launch Roseville then bantry bay on my own till wife and kid fly up
4. Sun Pick up family from Dalbora spit then on the pick at castle rock. Weekdays at Castle rock are nice and quiet, Sunday arvo will be busy. There is alot of passing traffic from the spit - it will be rolley. Weekdays flat as a tack. Maybe scout it out Sat.
5. Mon Head over to manly inside. Go see the aquarium Overnight either at quarantine or cyca, depends on weather. Aquarium a good idea, and theres the http://www.manlywaterworks.com.au/ next door - havent been there since I was about 13 but great for the kids. Quarantine Monday will be good, you get waves from Manly ferry but thats about it. There are buoys marking a non anchoring area about 30m off the shore - its a real bugger for TSs, so if you want to go ashore you'll need a tender or swim. A walk around quarantine station is recommended. Further around at little Manly there are no bouys and its a bit more protected / out of the waves. (although in a southerly forget it).
7. Tues check out other main harbour places , shark/Clark Islands, whiting beach under taronga. Onight either north side at Bradley's head or inside one of the vaucluse beaches, depend on weather. Same, Bradleys will be uncomfortable - as mentioned theres moorings in Athol (might be hard to get and you're probably better off stern too at Whiting anyway), or up the back of Sirius cove is a nice spot out of the way and safe:
8. Wed down to black wattle bay, tie up and play at fish markets. Then down to Birkenhead marina. Lots of food at Birkenhead.
9. Thu/fri lay day, Rachael picked up two gigs interstate so spend time with family in ryde. Fri night Birkenhead
10. Sat back to balmoral for BBQ and scatter dads ashes (his last sail). Onite at balmoral in the sand near balmoral sailing club or castle rock. The corner near BSC and scouts is a nice spot, avoid cobblers, the next beach around or you could scarr your children for life.
11. Sun play on MH beaches then drop family at spit for flight home . Onite at Bantry or Sugarloaf
12. Mon pull out, derig and leave the boat in storage in mittagong so can pick up on the way back up again early jan with the teenagers.There is storage north of the harbour if you are intending to do Pittwater on return it might suit better: http://www.nealesstorage.com.au/htmls/our_location.html no affil.

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '13, 22:39 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 21 times
I found closest bottle shops at Rose Bay and Double Bay. Do not go to Watson Bay Hotel it's very expensive...

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '13, 19:02 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Yeah zeb I left the images big to get the detail on my silly-expensive to run inkjet. They ended up real good, perhaps the file could be compressed

Thanks furstin for tip on castle rock , probably anywhere will be rolly but more so there because it channels all traffic

Andrey - very important! Sounds like a short bus ride from Cyca or we'll land and walk up.

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '17, 09:41 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 37 times
Furstin wrote:

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk

Quite right.
Attachment:
parsley bay.PNG
parsley bay.PNG [ 96.5 KiB | Viewed 2986 times ]