VR Regatta anyone

Place for Virtual Yacht Racers to crow about who is where in the pack
reebok
Midshipman

VR Regatta anyone

Post by reebok » Oct 1st, '18, 10:24

I have been using VR Regatta on an Occulus Rift for approx a year. It has helped immensely in assisting me to 'calm down' and NOT make constant adjustments to sails that are of no benefit.

Anyone else here tried this program?

Has vessels ranging from dinghy's to lasers to much larger vessels. No TS, but the principles are the same.

Worth a look for anyone looking to improve their basic skill levels.

Mainverse tend to have a display at larger regattas, and they have this software in place for training at a few clubs/schools. Look out for them.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Re: VR Regatta anyone

Post by rseydler » Oct 1st, '18, 18:27

What do you think of the occulus?

Used/have the google cardboard but haven't gone to the next level, is it worth it?

reebok
Midshipman

Re: VR Regatta anyone

Post by reebok » Oct 8th, '18, 08:28

I have had the occulus for a year and a half. Bought for motor racing sims (the other passion).

Candidly, it is not there yet.
It is a huge leap from flat screens, but the graphics levels need to be improved before it would be 'realistic' by definition.
You need to also spend about $1200 on a good graphics card to add to your high end PC, so for a full setup, you could buy a low end TS ! Screen door effect is eminent, but depth perception is enhanced mightily
When I am racing a season, I would spend about 20-30 hrs a week on it racing, so you overlook the screen door effect quickly. I also have a rumble system on each corner, only lacking motion to have a proper simulation.
Not required for sailing, but is for racing cars.
Shoot em up games are incredible, and the space simulations are very impressive. Try flying a wing suit over mountains, or riding a roller coaster to get your heart racing.
Even Google earth is mad.!

Worth it depends on what level of spending you are comfortable with.
I had to give up real life racing (cars and bikes) due to health reasons, (and economic reasons!). Dont ride bikes on the road anymore due to a difference of opinion with the law.
My racing sim setup probably cost me 5k. A set of tyres for a race car.
Wouldnt spend that much on a sailing sim yet.
But allows me to keep some sailing skills until I retire in a year or so, when I hope to relax on the gippsland lakes often. Then a TS comes into play again.

You really need to try it to get a handle of what you get for your money.

Return to “Virtual Racing”