It is currently Jul 20th, '18, 16:09

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '18, 10:08 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 5 times
Went off to see a catamaran , that I initially thought was a James Wharram Tanenui.

Very quickly I realised that this was a much bigger craft and almost entirely constructed in fibreglass.

The craft is approximately 9 metres long and just over 4 metres abeam. The name Fringdwella is probably unique and perhaps has some deep inner meaning . I guess that the all up weight could be 2 or 3 tonnes.

Now both myself and Lindsay the owner would very much like to discover the origins of this very interesting catamaran . Perhaps some of you can enlighten us on Fringdwellas history ?

Attachments:
Decker.JPG
Decker.JPG [ 90.73 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]
Wharram like.JPG
Wharram like.JPG [ 55.58 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '18, 11:12 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 141 times
This is very similar to the cat in a recent episode of "death in paradise" . . if not an identical model . .

Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '18, 14:21 
Midshipman

Jim
You are supposed to be sailing ! Not watching the goggle box!

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '18, 16:47 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 141 times
Oh I will be come Thursday . . . :-)

Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '18, 20:54 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 69 times
Here's the boat ... http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/pp5.html (thanks to Google search on Fringdwella)

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '18, 23:11 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1024 times
"Fringe dweller"...

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '18, 09:53 
Midshipman

Who would have thought to use Google ???

I would like to hear peoples thoughts , on the idea of modifying the catamaran . to be de-mountable as most Wharram Catamarans are . As the craft is now , simply moving it , is an expensive herculean task .

What level of cost would be involved in making new beams and the necessary supporting structure . Have any other TSP members ever tackled this kind of job ?

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '18, 10:25 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
graham5494 wrote:
I would like to hear peoples thoughts , on the idea of modifying the catamaran . to be de-mountable as most Wharram Catamarans are . As the craft is now , simply moving it , is an expensive herculean task .

What level of cost would be involved in making new beams and the necessary supporting structure . Have any other TSP members ever tackled this kind of job ?

Lots of loads in many different directions. Not a task I would want to undertake without advice from an naval architect/engineer.

Castle 650 #147 - "Pipalini"

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '18, 14:50 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 21 times
Make the cat foldable and you will have 30ft trailer sailer

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '18, 15:45 
Midshipman

I quite like the Woods designs - Sango and Wizzard I think . However the engineering on the trailer looks a bit too sophisticated for my luddite ways !

I would tend towards the Wharram four wheel trolleys and a flat deck trailer. But maybe 30 foot is too big even for that .

At least when de-mountable the hulls can be transported one at a time .

Not sure what you do when on arrival you find that hull number one has been nicked !

Watched a Youtube video recently where a Wharram catamaran builder was accused by the authorities of serial boat production whilst working on the second cat hull ?

Attachments:
Wizzard.jpg
Wizzard.jpg [ 20.67 KiB | Viewed 922 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '18, 18:54 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 46 times
Hi Graham
By "de-mountable" are you talking about disassembling it into 3 basic pieces ( hulls and platform)?
Is this just to transport it one time or are you thinking of a complete fold up system?

If just the one off move, I would be very surprised if it is not constructed to allow for that now.
Can't really see that from the photos though.
Being glass it will clean up easily enough but the (money) trap would be all the gear that is probably missing.
I like the look of it though.

gary

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '18, 09:44 
Midshipman

I think that the catamaran is already suited to the Wharram treatment .

The only area that would require significant work is the cockpit which has been full moulded into the hull structure . The forward beams seem to sit in troughs and may be either bolted or glued in place.

A plan of action would be to make four new 'Tiki' style cross beams , perhaps five metres in length to use synthetic rope lashings to secure them to the hull . Wood / epoxy cleats will need to be bolted and glued to the hull together with location pads for the beams .

From experience with my two Wharram Hitias padded 'V' shaped supports will need to be made up to support each hull , plus at least one four wheeled dolly in order to move things around . A gantry hoist would also be a useful extra .

Of course new decking and any number of marine fittings will have to be purchased , however once the work is done a durable sailing craft will result.

I accept that much work , cost and effort would be required but far , far less compared to building from scratch.

Attachments:
Front beam.JPG
Front beam.JPG [ 59.6 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]
Cockpit.JPG
Cockpit.JPG [ 51.82 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '18, 10:19 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 46 times
OK, I see from the last "cockpit" photo that it is really solid.
Have you taken the plunge?
Please keep us in the picture of your progress.

gary

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '18, 11:56 
Midshipman

Gary
I do not have the resources to take on this project , but i feel sure that another TSP enthusiast will be interested . I can easily direct any interest to Lindsay , who is located in the Gympie area . Perhaps someone contemplating building a Tiki 26 or 30 may choose this craft as an alternative.

Attachments:
rear.JPG
rear.JPG [ 103.96 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '18, 11:24 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 24 times
Some information you may or may not have. Hopefully it may be of some use.

The tanenui was one of the few wharram designs to have a foam sandwich option. Other wharrams have been engineered for glass by owners but the tanenui plans could actually be bought for foam construction.

Is it foam or solid glass ?

Wharram builders more often and more extensively deviate from teh stock plans than any other multihull designer. It would not be at all uncommon to stretch a tanenui to 30' and modify the cabins.

That boat looks like a modified tanenui to me, as far as I can tell from your photos.

If you want to make it demountable you could either get details from the wharram business (wharram himself is dead obviously), or approach Richard Woods. He worked for Wharram in the early 80's and has a couple of demountable boats that size. I am sure for a reasonable fee he would supply you with beam and beam box details.

2c.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 14:26 
Midshipman

I am quite sure that Mr James Wharram is very much alive and still active with Hanecke Boon in sunny England . He has certainly appeared on one or two Youtube videos of late . Funny thing is that many years ago , when I was developing an interest in sailing craft , I actually met James at the Earls Court boat show . I argued with him saying that his catamarans were a load of rubbish !! Now I own TWO Wharram Hitias , talk about egg on face !
I also think that Fringdwella was based on the Tanenui so much so that I inspected it as such . Unfortunately it is constructed in solid fibreglass and quite possibly heavily constructed . The advantage of a Wharram catamaran is partly down to weight . I think that Fringdwella could weigh as much as two tonnes , therefore twice as heavy as a Tanenui.
What do others think the overall weight may be ?

Attachments:
Bow on.JPG
Bow on.JPG [ 100.53 KiB | Viewed 632 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '18, 14:00 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 24 times
Impossible to guess the weight without more information. Buy a cheap crane scale of ebay if you really want to know.

I thought James Wharram died a couple of years ago ? Perhaps the rumours of his demise were exaggerated...

Ian Farrier passed away recently. THAT is a loss...

Wharrams are what they are. They don't sail particularly well, which is probably why owners don't notice as much when they are heavily loaded. The thing that got me about them though was they look easy to build until you really study the plans/boats. Terrible waste of materials and effort. You could build a proper cat with less money and time....

Still each to their own...