Trailer Sailing Geelong,Melbourne,Swan bay

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
mdedman
Inshore Skipper

Trailer Sailing Geelong,Melbourne,Swan bay

Post by mdedman » Feb 24th, '18, 14:13

Had a great trip over new years, for anyone who's interested the video can be viewed under trailable trip reports or click HERE. Watched the NY fireworks and by chance found ourselves right in the middle of the start of the Volvo Ocean Race start of the Hong Kong leg. Those boats are a thing of beauty to watch.
Deep Blue Dreaming.
A sailors reach must exceed their grasp or what is a heaven for? Live love and follow your dreams.

luke.sleeman
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: Trailer Sailing Geelong,Melbourne,Swan bay

Post by luke.sleeman » Feb 25th, '18, 17:55

Thanks for the great video! It's always inspiring to see you travel to some of the destinations around Port Phillip Bay! I really do need to get along and visit some of the great places you have been to in the south of the bay!

zebedee
Admiral

Re: Trailer Sailing Geelong,Melbourne,Swan bay

Post by zebedee » Feb 25th, '18, 22:34

I drove down to Geelong on Saturday evening to pick up an ebay purchase (a side boat loader to get a dinghy onto the top of my car), so while I was down there I went to Queenscliffe and Portarlington for a look around.

I barely recognised Queenscliffe, there is now an extensive marina/harbour between the bridge to Swan Island and the ferry terminal. There appears to be a very limited number of jetty berths outside the security gates of the marina, can anyone advise if they are indeed public and free?

The only ramp is behind a bridge and costs $12/day for parking. There is however a jetty immediately outside the bridge with signage making it clear that it is primarily for trailer sailer mast raising/lowering.

The new Portarlington harbour is vast, with a large section of the beach cordoned off with yellow bouys presumably for swimmers. I think someone else has recently described the current state of facilities there?

Last week I also visited Wyndham Harbour, Campbells Cove and Werribee River.
The rutted potholed track at Campbell's Cove has been tarmaced, otherwise it looks much the same as always.
Wyndham Harbour appears to have a jetty for landing ouytside the secure berths, but it's a seriously uninspiring place. I'm hard pressed to see why anyone would want to live in a medium rise shoebox in Werribee South, even with a marina berth!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Return to “General”