Is this NAVIONICS app worth making "Sticky" for a while?

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Is this NAVIONICS app worth making "Sticky" for a while?

Post by SeawayVolcano » Nov 25th, '13, 10:57

Just wondering if it is worth making this a sticky post for a little while so some members can copy the link.

http://navionics.com/en/webapp

I can't find it posted on TSP anywhere, but I use it a lot for quickly looking at charts when I can't be bothered digging out my paper charts or my Android tablet with Navionics.

You can't actually 'do' anything with it, but it can show some more detail than what you get on the paper charts and the tablet apps.

For example, pick a spot where you know people go fishing and click the 'Sonar Charts' button at the bottom left corner of the screen. Check the contour lines!

I'm using it in Firefox, but it seems fine in Chrome.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

There's not enough room to swing a cat in the Seaway 25 cabin.
Don't ask the cat how I know...

Slammin
Able Skipper

Re: Is this NAVIONICS app worth making "Sticky" for a while?

Post by Slammin » Nov 25th, '13, 22:18

Great find Ross.

It has a lot more detail and notes than my Garmin Maps. Didn't realise there was so much unexploded ordinance risks around here. :shock:

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Nov 26th, '13, 07:36

I often use the online version for making plans of all the spots we would like to visit
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos

aFT
Midshipman

Post by aFT » Nov 26th, '13, 10:20

I can recommend this app. It cost me $13.99 and is on my iPad - which has gps. Whilst the chart itself may have some inaccuracies, I use it to plot my tracks in the very shallow waters in the lakes and rivers.
The tracks can then be transferred to Google earth - which gives you a brilliant assessment as to where you have been - showing all the tacks, as well as the landmarks on Google earth.
A feature that I really like is the ability to take photos using navionics, and the photos get saved to the track at the point where you took the photo. So I take photos of landmarks, shallow areas, beacons etc - and then write a commentary to go with each image for next time.
Not sure how totally accurate the GPS is, but for me, it does a really great job and has allowed me to plot and save specific tracks as well as find previously used anchorages etc.
aFT

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Nov 26th, '13, 10:31

I have found that GPS's in phones, tablets etc are normally good to around 20 meters depending on the number of satelittes available at the time
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Nov 26th, '13, 14:34

The thing about this particular app is that it is not the iphone, android or computer app that you can buy.
This is a straight out web browser app for just viewing places in higher detail than the paid tablet apps.

I use it for viewing the waters around the resort Jo's family are building on Isla Verde in Batangas (Philippines). It also shows considerably more detail in most Aussie places, than the current android app. I believe iphone is already more detailed than the android one.

I can take some screen shots of the higher detail anchorages and save them, to use in conjunction with the Navionics full app, and screenshots from google earth.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Nov 26th, '13, 15:41

SeawayVolcano wrote:...It also shows considerably more detail in most Aussie places, than the current android app. I believe iphone is already more detailed than the android one.
So it's not indicative of the detail available on the Navionics android app?
As in, the android app shows even less?

Navionics (from the website) detail collapses west of Fraser Island in the Gippsland Lakes:
Nav Fraser.jpg
Nav Fraser.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 8374 times
The detail ends right where it gets "interesting"!

The entrance to Bunga Arm is a real test of any chart for the area:
Nav Aurora.jpg
Nav Aurora.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 8374 times

That's a bit disappointing.

The last image is a 100dpi scan extract from the Spatial Vision Gippsland Lakes Outdoor Recreation Guide Map

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

RockMan
Able Skipper

Post by RockMan » Nov 26th, '13, 19:54

The Navonics is a marine system. It does not have much inland coverage. Lake Macquarie is the same, especially the Swansea Channel.

Sent from my Android Tablet
RockMan
Newcastle - Hunter Valley NSW
Catalina 375 #54 - Rock The Boat

Living the Dream

IanB
Able Skipper

Post by IanB » Nov 27th, '13, 17:40

The on-line app is interesting, specially to check out locations when reading articles in " Cruising Helmsman" and the like, where they typically rabbit on about sailing from A to B against a wind from a certain direction, and it is meaningless without a chart. However, there is no legend, so how does one know what the depth lines represent. Metres? Fathoms? Feet?
Ian B
Investigator 563 #50 Yara
www.investigator563.com

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Nov 27th, '13, 17:48

depths are in meters on the web app
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

timfnz
CompetentCrew

Post by timfnz » Nov 28th, '13, 09:03

Also useful is Geogarage , as you can plot courses and see distances in nautical miles, and it has a satellite overlay also..

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Dec 9th, '13, 13:51

My bad... I forgot some of us are lucky enough to have lakes - especially the big ones. I should have said 'many' locations :-)
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Dec 9th, '13, 20:37

I still lust after a chart plotter from time to time; the Navionics site helps provide a reality check...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Dec 12th, '13, 09:42

This post has probably served its purpose. I think any one that might benefit from it has probably read it :-)
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

snoopebj
Midshipman

Post by snoopebj » Jan 28th, '14, 18:36

Just a note that this app does not work on Aldi Android smartphones don't know about their tablets etc but check compatibility. Navionics refused a refund saying I should have checked compatibility first.
Not impressed
Emrys

IanB
Able Skipper

Post by IanB » Jan 28th, '14, 19:16

Emrys, I have the Navionics app on my Aldi Android pad, and it works fine. However it is the paid Austrasia version, not the free web map.
Ian B
Investigator 563 #50 Yara
www.investigator563.com

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Jan 28th, '14, 19:24

snoopebj wrote:Just a note that this app does not work on Aldi Android smartphones don't know about their tablets etc but check compatibility. Navionics refused a refund saying I should have checked compatibility first.
Not impressed
Emrys
I have the Aldi smart phone and Navionics works fine, I bought the phone a couple of months ago after my LG took a swim and it loaded fine.

The question is are you trying to run the tablet version ($50) on a phone, as the phone version dosnt work on the tablet I presume the opposite is true
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

snoopebj
Midshipman

Post by snoopebj » Jan 28th, '14, 22:23

It's the earlier Aldi Dual sim smartphone March 2013 running Android 4.1 and Navionics have told me these phones with the earlier version of Android are not compatible with their app. It loads up ok then gives an error " Unfortunately Australia and NZ have stopped"
They also said no refund as I bought the app through Google (don't Google sell the app under a Navionics licence anyway?)
$13.99 not a great deal of money but still frustrating.
Thanks fellahs

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Jan 28th, '14, 22:27

Thats the $149 ($129 now phone) 4 Inch screen, thats the one I have and it works well
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

snoopebj
Midshipman

Post by snoopebj » Jan 28th, '14, 22:37

mine was the $199 ASP-4500Z model - I suspect yours has a later version of Android which ties up with the Navionics explanation why your later model works and mine doesn't,
Thanks for your input I think I just have to lump it.
Cheers

ricdanger
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by ricdanger » Jan 31st, '14, 17:30

snoopebj wrote:Just a note that this app does not work on Aldi Android smartphones don't know about their tablets etc
Emrys
Hi all, can confirm that Navionics HD works a treat on the 10" Aldi tablet, currently marked down to $229 where you can get them.

Also just loaded up 20gb of AVI movies for the 4yo ballast boy about to go on series of flights over 24hrs. Lucky the seats have a USB port to keep the charge up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Ric

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma

Iancoombe
Inshore Skipper

Post by Iancoombe » Feb 1st, '14, 17:11

Hi all
Just as an aside we have just completed 6weeks cruising around Cambodia we used nothing but navonics no paper charts were available but we saw one in the harbour captains office and it was so inaccurate as to dangerous.
Cheers
Ian and Alison
SV Nereid
By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest,second is by imitation, which is easiest,third is by experience, which is the bitterest.

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Mar 4th, '14, 11:26

Because this thread is still pinned, I thought I'd mention Navionics has just announced a NEW Android app. It is just like the OLD app, but does a few pretty things with depth shading etc. Still no proper nav functions beyond what is in the old app. The difference is that it is only designed to work on tablets, where the existing app works on phones as well.

However, in the same release they said they are adding the Nav functions soon, to make the tablet function as a proper chart plotter.

The bad news? The App is free to download and install, but you have to buy your charts again (about $50 for Android version). Also, the nav function is still not available.

I think I'll wait until the Nav function is added before I install this. Until then, the simple Route and Track functions in the current App are fine for day to day trailer sailing where most of the time a destination is almost in line of sight.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Mar 4th, '14, 12:27

Is the old app still available?

I've been thinking of getting a tablet, with Navionics and OziExplorer as excuses...

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Mar 4th, '14, 13:33

Is the old app still available?
I've been thinking of getting a tablet, with Navionics and OziExplorer as excuses..
It is not showing in Android Play Store on mine just now.
At any rate, the new App is free to download. Once there you pay about the same for the charts, as you did to buy HD version of the old App. So it will work out about the same.
And you get some more features than we have now.
And the nav module should be available soon (at a nominal charge, last I heard was $5)
And the whole lot will be cheaper than the charts alone for a chart plotter.

As it is you could plan and plot and save routes, and display and record record your track, overlaid on the planned route.

What you don't get is ETA to points and elapsed times etc. but for TS, many of us are usually working on trips of 10 to 20 miles at 5 knots. It is pretty easy to work out, especially if you are looking at the screen and a watch.

Old App is called Navionics Marine (Australia & New Zealand), or Navionics marine (Europe) etc. and each is bought separately.

New App is called Navionics Boating. Once you download it for free you buy the regional charts instead of installing a separate App each time. Sort of makes sense.

Also, once you have a tablet, get Sail Droid. Gives you readout of speed, direction etc with nice big numbers.

My favourite tablet was my old Motorola Xoom 10 inch, but I am beginning to like the much brighter screen of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

Now they are superseded they are around at under $300. Slipped into a waterproof cover they are great.

Aus and NZ charts for entire area are $60. So something like a superseded Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and the charts would be around $350. Cheap disposable chart plotter.

I just downloaded the new version. It does NOT pick up my already installed charts (the old App). On the other hand, installing the new version did not affect my old one.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

Return to “General”