New build Scarab 16

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: New build Scarab 16

Post by guzzis3 » Jan 7th, '19, 10:59

I have a c brad nailer and compressor I can loan you. Personally I'd buy some small stainless screws but what would I know.

BTW united fasteners are about the cheapest I've found in brisbane but they are on my side so along drive for you.

I have been meaning to email and get your ply prices off you. My shipment of fiberglass and foam is on the docks and I'm being stung left right and center trying to get it cleared. Clarify: Customs are not the problem, the shipping company is.Once I finally settle I'd like to compare price of ply to foam as I think it's going to be very close now.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 7th, '19, 11:58

Thanks for the offer, I've done some strapping using rachet straps this morning and they work a treat. So I should be able to use a rachet strap, then the metal strap, rinse and repeat along the decking.

Ply was
6mm $35
9mm $45
12mm $55

As with all ply you need to check each sheet. Not much 12 or 9mm required for the build mostly 6mm.

I have a summary of costs in excel that I can pull out once I go back to work on wednesday :(

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 7th, '19, 12:02

guzzis3 wrote:
Jan 7th, '19, 10:59
Clarify: Customs are not the problem, the shipping company is.
That sucks. They want more money now? You can borrow the boat trailer if you want to go get them and need something long to stick them on.

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Jan 7th, '19, 16:35

You got 6mm ply for $35 a sheet ? !! Was this marine ply ?? Everywhere I've looked good gaboon ply is over $100/sht.

I have a 4.5 meter flat bed trailer and a 2.5 meter tray on my ute so I'm sorted but thank you for the offer.

They stung me $360 to unpack 0.6 cube of stuff and because I have failed to get all the paperwork in within the time frame I'm up for a little over $200 for storage overnight. It took a week for the supplier to supply 2 bits of paper. It has been a stressful epic of misery. This shipment was always meant to be a test case to see what goes wrong and I'm still landing the stufff or about 3/4 the lowest price you could buy it for locally but I don't like being robbed. The chinese made this stuff and shipped it all the way to brisbane for $1209. So far it's about $900 to unpack the container and move it to the warehouse.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 7th, '19, 17:25

guzzis3 wrote:
Jan 7th, '19, 16:35
You got 6mm ply for $35 a sheet ? !! Was this marine ply ?? Everywhere I've looked good gaboon ply is over $100/sht.
It's advertised as being, no stamp though. I tested some pieces in water overnight when i first got it and they are still together. Its ok quality, the 6mm is a little flaky with its veneers on 3 sheets, either cut around or filled by me. The 9mm and 12mm sheets were all perfect.

The guys selling it are the importers, 2 man operation. He's about to start up shop in Perth as well. The ply is stacked in a rental shed. He's got low overheads.

Here is the gumtree ad.

Marine Plywood from $35per sheet.(incl GST),
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane ... pp_android

Even if it is exterior ply, its only a 16ft scarab. I've got a 25 year old exterior 3mm ply kayak i made sitting in the garden. It has no paint except where the fibreglass tape is on the edges. Still solid as, i stand on it to trim the hedges.

If it wasn't for the cheap ply i would never have been able to build within my budget.

If it dies in 10 years it's cost me $200 a year. I can live with that.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 7th, '19, 17:30

I should add Bunnings 6mm marine ply is $55 a sheet but it's fn heavy.

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Jan 7th, '19, 18:41

Wow that's remarkable.

Exterior grade will stay together, it's boil as well as water proof. Marine has no voids and is made of durable timbers. Ad says it's eucalypt which is certainly durable enough to make the standard. Provided it's void free it's marine equivalent even if it's not certified.

It would be heavier than gaboon but that probably doesn't matter.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 7th, '19, 20:41

It's about 10kg for a 6mm sheet. I don't remember what the 9 and 12 weigh exactly but the 12 was around 15kg.

Being a tri I am conscious of the overall weight.

Current estimate is around 120ish without rigging and sails.

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Jan 7th, '19, 21:22

A friend who made model aircraft had a stock of balsa wood stored in his garage for future projects.

His supplier would call him in to help unpack the larger shipments of balsa wood. During the unpacking, he would weight the timber selecting the least dense wood for his garage stock.

It must have been worth it, his son had many Australian titles and they were paid to compete in American competitions. As a new plane left the workshop, the plane his son was racing was sold (at a race winning price).

When they first started, his teenage son insisted in painting the plane, it ended up looking like a child had painted it. It was still fast and sold when the next plane left the workshop.

I was surprised at the effort to get the best wood possible for the structures.
Nothing is free, abuse the environment and nature will make us pay the cost with interest.

Anyone ignoring the environment, is probably neglecting our children's future.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 7th, '19, 21:41

INMA wrote:
Jan 7th, '19, 21:22
it ended up looking like a child had painted it. It was still fast
Sounds like an apt prediction taken out of context ;)

Like most model people they can be quiet fanatical. I have a colleague that builds drones absolutely nuts about the smallest things.

I've never owned a balsa boat but back when I was racing contenders they were the go to hull. Surprising strength per weight ratio. All balsa boats had substantial correction weights.

The W17 uses end grain balsa for the beam mounts into the floats.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 8th, '19, 14:51

Inside of floats, rudder stock and db case had a second coat of epoxy.

Main hull has an internal coat of epoxy.

Since everything is wet and I'm out of work space that's probably it for today.

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Jan 9th, '19, 17:08

I have just got my shipment of glass etc home. Details on my blog.

I will test the stuff as soon as I can get to it.

Sango Wizzer build blog https://sangowizzercatamaran.blogspot.com

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 9th, '19, 19:08

Excellent!

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 12th, '19, 00:01

Last main ring frame for the main hull is now taped up and will be ready to install tomorrow. I can now instal the two main hull ring frames. Decking is already cut to fit so it will go on at the same time when they go in.

Dagger board case had its final treatment and is also going to be ready to install after a quick sanding.

I know i said i was going to try and do all the fibreglass sanding/cutting in one go but i trimmed up the 2 beams during the week so i could test fit them into a float. All went well and they need a sand and a coat of epoxy on the cut edges, did it with a cut disc in the grinder, man that triaxial is tough. I grabbed a 25mm wide by 1m long x 18layers of 400gsm uni and tried to bend it. 18 layers of uni doesn't bend easily! After that i decided to put the beam down on the concrete and stand on it in the middle to see how much it flexes, unfortunately i couldn't measure it but it was approximately less than 5mm each end.

Hoping to deck a float tomorrow and maybe the second one on Sunday, otherwise i still have 2 beams to build so not short of work yet. Technically nothing left to build for the floats, just deck it, tape it and fair it.

List of build jobs is getting shorter! For the main hull i only need to build the mast beam and trim the foredeck to fit. Need to glue the prodder forestay and stem bracing parts, but i need to trim those first. Oh and i have to do the seats. After that it is just shaping the rudder and centerboard.

Still have 2 more beams to build, and since they take 5 hours continuous to build i need to get them in the diary.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 13th, '19, 17:13

New beam made, one float decked. The strapping worked a treat.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 16th, '19, 22:35

2nd float decked. Now the joyous job of rounding the edges and taping.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 23rd, '19, 18:35

Edges rounded and both float decks taped on without any drama. One side of each float has had the tape edges knocked down and they'll both get a fill covering tonight of microballons, tomorrow i'll flip them and do the other side.

Then I just need to cut out the deck and glue in the beams. Backfill the deck holes around the beam and then the deck and visible beam gets a fill with the balloons and then i'll need to fair the entire float up!

Hopefully by the end of the weekend i'll have the last remaining beam built too... good plans and all ;)

CADed up the standoffs for the seats, printed and test fit was great, so have some more chopping this weekend to do as well. Once the standoffs are in I can get the seat pattern.

So all going to plan the floats should be hanging up in the garage waiting for painting by the following weekend and i can get stuck into the remaining things on the main hull. Closer and closer we inch.

Before anyone asks yes I have drilled a breather into the float already.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 2nd, '19, 14:04

Work got in the way this week so I'm a bit behind schedule.

Ring frames are bonded to the hull, floor is one piece, hole for bow sprit has been cut and bonding of the forestay and stem done on the internal sprit. It needs a wrap of glass to finish before being installed.

Floor will hopefully go on tonite and tomorrow hopefully i'll build the last beam.

Aim is to get the seat supports aligned ready for gluing during the week so I can get the deck and seats cut out next weekend.

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Feb 2nd, '19, 16:07

I don't know if it helps but I can post pics on my blog if you email them to me, or mms.

Personally I'd love to see updated photos. Really interested in the project.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 2nd, '19, 18:12

When you work alone you often forget to take photos.. i'll try and get some tonite. Thanks for the reminder

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 9th, '19, 12:48

Got the main hull floor taped in during the week, had to do it over three nights. Seat standoffs are taped in. Seat risers cut out, and marked out one seat ready for cutting. In theory it should be a template for the other side.

Internal sprit tube has been closed on the inboard end and almost ready for fitting.

Test fit for the float beams has been done and floats trimmed for beam fit. Still one beam to make :/ I've been holding off gluing them in as they will make the floats difficult to arrange in the garage space.

Aim is to get the seats, deck and mast support cut out this weekend and get them glued up during the week. Then it's all fill and fair from there.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 10th, '19, 20:16

Managed to get the seats, closer and mast beam cut out. The mast beam took 3 goes to get the shape right and made it too late to get the deck templated.

So more glueing during the week and the deck is the last thing to cut out next weekend. The mast beam will require some more shaping to get the angle against the deck sheet nice. Besides the final beam 98% of the build should be done next weekend. Just need to shape the rudder and center board after that, plus a tonne of fiill and fair.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 11th, '19, 11:09

Ok.

Still no tapatalk so low res and only 2 per post..

Main hull after flipping.

Little bit of sanding to be done
20181108_160204.jpg
All cleaned up
20181108_173855.jpg

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 11th, '19, 11:15

Floats

Decked!
20190117_162914.jpg
All taped up and ready for filler.
20190123_171909.jpg

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 11th, '19, 11:17

Making sure the beam matches the plan...
20181126_193656.jpg
They go in here somewhere
20181214_155600.jpg

Return to “General”