Toe Rail Replacement

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
sunnysailer
Midshipman

Toe Rail Replacement

Post by sunnysailer » Dec 2nd, '18, 10:13

looking for ideas on toe rail replacement for my Southern Cross 23. Some suggestions are Aluminium, cost between $1600 and $2000, synthetic teak look from UK or making own from synthetic decking. Has anyone done this recently and would like to pass on their experience. Thanks in advance

colect149
Yachtmaster

Re: Toe Rail Replacement

Post by colect149 » Dec 2nd, '18, 10:48

I thought the SC23 came with a slotted aluminium Toe Rail. Having never had a boat with them I have always envied those that do. All those slots are so handy for attaching things like Boom Tents etc
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Dec 2nd, '18, 12:00

I too envy those with a slotted toe rail to attach all sorts of blocks and fenders.
My toe rails are timber, approx. two thicknesses of 42x19 but one is longer. One sits on the edge, and the other is glued on its outer side.
On the previous yacht I had, the timber toe rails were bolted to the stanchions.
At haul-out time, a neighbour used synthetic deck timber from Bunnings for his deck. Better than natural timber, and could be used for toe rails too.

Do you have a photo of the present system and attachment method?
Northerner28.

sunnysailer
Midshipman

Post by sunnysailer » Dec 4th, '18, 22:22

Yes, mine currently has a timber toerail which is rotted out in some sections. As currently re-vamping the whole boat need to do something with the toerail after the painting is finished. Did your neighbour use the synthetic decking for toerails. A company in England has synthetic teak toerails but could be difficult to transport to Aus.

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Dec 4th, '18, 23:57

Hi Sunny. The neighbour was using a synthetic/modified natural timber for his decks. It was a decking timber from Bunnings, but the timber was modified/made synthetic in some way, which had the result of being warp free, less twisting, etc and a stable colour, as you would need in a patio deck as well as on a yacht, instead of traditional teak. At the time, he hadn't got around to making toe rails, so I don't know. He was taking too long in the boat yard, whereas I was there too long but only 3 weeks.

My yacht's toe rails had some damage from rot, and from bashing against jetties. I have repaired it as best I can with epoxying the pieces back together, and then making a thicker epoxy paste to fill in the gaps and smooth it out, and then to paint over the whole thing. It may not matter what timber is under it, but it is painted and repaired.
You could do the same. Why import at great expense when there are durable timbers here, and besides, you can paint over the timber. With a trailer boat it is much easier than I painted last fortnight, from the dinghy and bouncing in the waves at the same time. Repairing the timber is relatively simple: all the timber is exposed and accessible, and it is just a matter of cut out damage, and 'graft' in a new section, sand it down to the profile, epoxy the new section in, and paint later.
Northerner28.

sunnysailer
Midshipman

Post by sunnysailer » Dec 5th, '18, 12:15

Yes am in 2 opinions, can get a new piece made from Aus timber which is the look I love. Just being a bit lazy as do not want to recoat every 6 months. Thanks for the advice and I think I will go with repairing instead of replacing. What coating and how many coats are you using? At the end of 12 months of stripping and sanding my boat inside and outside, in my spare time, get a bit down hearted or exhausted from time to time. Just want to get her back together and spend some time on the water. Anyway painting starts in a few weeks.

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Dec 5th, '18, 12:34

I use ordinary exterior house paint. It might get 2 coats if I am lucky or inspired. Once the damaged sections were repaired and faired, I sanded them with 40 grit paper and then painted one coat. I did it in situ: i.e. I did not remove the toe rails to paint all around where the stanchions are. The boat is on a mooring, so beach access and stability are impractical. One coat of paint now to 'lift' or brighten the thing. Maybe another coat of paint in autumn when I hope to be on a sheltered beach or jetty. The boat, and maybe the toe rails are 51 years old. There are other jobs to do, and this job 'lifts' the appearance of the yacht, and next I will do the cockpit timbers. Exterior house paint will last 10-15 years or so. The aim is sailing, not boats. I prefer to do some boat jobs, and to go sailing the same day - a little work, a little sailing. Otherwise boat maintenance becomes tedious and uninspiring. A pretty boat is nice, but the aim is sailing.
september progress toe rails.jpg
October OB well & WV stage70.jpg
Northerner28.

sunnysailer
Midshipman

Post by sunnysailer » Dec 6th, '18, 21:22

thanks, nice boat. Mine was to sad to take anywhere, so bit the bullet. Wouldn't tackle the lot together next time.

Return to “General”