boat transport

Share your work with other TSP Members
brendan
Midshipman

boat transport

Post by brendan » Apr 21st, '11, 14:28

for anyone wanting to move a boat on the east coast i highly recomend leisure transport. i used them to bring my 8 mt cruiser to paynesville from the hawksbury earlier this year, they were 1/2 the price of some of the quotes i had and the boat arrived without a scratch. phone steve on 0449232123.
gippsland. walker 30 keel boat

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Re: boat transport

Post by barnaclephill » Mar 1st, '14, 12:41

I rang them this week and they used the phrase "we're not set up for that" about 3 or 4 times, when describing a keel boat. The gist of it is: they are able to do boats with trailers and/or a cradle under them, but they cannot do boats without a cradle nor with a deep keel.
I.e. useless. Regardless of the price
Northerner28.

Toad of Toad Hall
Inshore Skipper

Post by Toad of Toad Hall » Aug 12th, '14, 22:48

BarnaclePhil,
At the end of the day, the difference between making a profit or not, is how much labour you put into loading and unloading, and what the risk and cost blowouts would be if the load moves... There is also a load restraint guide they have to follow. If they don't follow it, they are liable, even if the load doesn't actually shift or come off. Their insurance company probably also sets limits on what they can do. If you had your own well engineered cradle, it would be a different story.
Regards T.

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Aug 12th, '14, 23:34

Toad of Toad Hall wrote:At the end of the day, the difference between making a profit or not, is how much labour you put into loading and unloading, and what the risk and cost blowouts would be if the load moves.... If you had your own well engineered cradle, it would be a different story.
I didn't care how much profit they made. They were not set up to handle keel boats, only shallow boats with trailers or cradles provided by the vessel owner. So they were still useless for my situation, i.e. a boat and no cradle/trailer.

If I had my own cradle I could have used any flat-bed truck, but I didn't have a cradle. If I had a trailer, I could have towed the thing home myself.
Northerner28.

Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed » Aug 17th, '14, 09:28

This is the "trailer sailer" place so most of us have a trailer of some description. Just because they don't suit your situation doesn't does mean you have to bag them. It's not their fault.
--
RL28 "Windale" Located in Yeppoon, QLD

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Aug 17th, '14, 09:49

barnaclephill wrote:If I had a trailer, I could have towed the thing home myself.
I'm sceptical, I've seen what you drive! :D
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Aug 17th, '14, 10:54

Tumbleweed wrote:This is the "trailer sailer" place so most of us have a trailer of some description. Just because they don't suit your situation doesn't does mean you have to bag them. It's not their fault.
This is not a post about trailer sailers, but about boat transport via a commercial trucking company. The gist of my first post was that the recommendation was not specific enough, I.e. that the OP might have inferred that the company could do all boat transport, whereas it clearly cannot do some types. Not bagging, but clarifying a recommendation.
zebedee wrote:I'm sceptical, I've seen what you drive! :D
Almost any vehicle can be hired. And for rates that (had I such a trailer/cradle) that would make it much more economical than paying a trucking company.
Northerner28.

Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper » Aug 17th, '14, 11:03

At least they were honest about it. They could have taken your money and made a right dog's breakfast out of the whole thing. I am always happy for somebody to tell me that they cannot do something rather than find out afterwards.

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.

sailboatmike
Yachtmaster

Post by sailboatmike » Aug 17th, '14, 12:32

Not all logistics companies are set up to move boats, and some can do it but dont like doing it as they feel the risk is too high, I would much prefer they are up front about it than quote stupid prices (I was quoted close to $4K to bring a 18 foot boat on a trailer from Sydney to Melbourne - Depot to depot) or take the risk of damaging your boat because they dont have the experience or feel their equipment isnt up to what would be required
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos

Photog009
Midshipman

Post by Photog009 » Aug 17th, '14, 19:34

agree with tumble weed original message had disgruntlement in the tone. How about rang them they cant do keel boats! was all it needed! :mrgreen:
Cheers Graham

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Aug 17th, '14, 23:40

I had a hard time getting an overwide boat shipped from bris to Sydney, I would have been better rerigged and sailed down.
As for bagging them, it's freight thats hard..,, they cam get trade for less grief.
Borrman 38.

Return to “Industry Insiders - Member to Member Services”