Castle 650 keel winch - options

Discussion on how to make that Trailer Sailer go faster & more comfortable
bachus
Yachtmaster

Castle 650 keel winch - options

Post by bachus » Dec 1st, '17, 17:05

This is more a documentation post . . . for other Castle 650 owners.

Well my winch is spewing rust from the drum and I cannot get to it without the keel being dropped (to access the retaining bolts) but then that implies Mystic is on the water to drop the keel to get to the bolts (or find a really deep hole somewhere). Being on the water is not a great environment to do any remedial work - I can see myself forgetting that one important tool :(
As the winch is quite critical to operation I need to be sure of it - I do not want the drum disintegrating on me. I will still be having a look at the drum by removing the cable (time to replace the cable in any case) but access is a pain and if the drum is suspect not a lot I can do about it.

So what does a new winch cost? i.e. a "drop in" replacement when on the water.

The original winch in Mystic (1996 build Castle) is a Jarrett 5:1 300kg Brake Winch model F10340. This part is no longer being made. The replacement is the model F18230 ( with cable) and F18240 (no cable). Most dimensions - specially the important mounting plate - are identical BUT the new winch will protrude a bit more - the brake and gearing is now enclosed and where the handle shaft used to stand free of the winch, the brake and gearing in occupying some space in this area. (see attached diagrams) It should fit but the fibreglass cover may have to be repositioned.
new and old wiinch.jpg
Anyway best price for the F18230 I found was at Blackwoods - $171 pickup. No stock so will have to be ordered in.

Ideally I would replace it with an electric winch but then I really need a second battery and split charging system and . . well . . even though I am a tech head . . . there is something in the KISS principal here. If I could remove the winch handle and "somehow" drive the brake winch with an electric motor - now that would be acceptable as I still have manual operation - this I will think on.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

INMA
Admiral

Re: Castle 650 keel winch - options

Post by INMA » Dec 1st, '17, 17:25

Jim, I'm not sure why you think an electric keel lift justifies another battery.

I had a lot of experts tell me my Magnum with single battery would not work and I needed that second battery. The same sort of BS fed to the off road people about their electric winches needing separate batteries.

Of you do the numbers, you will discover the electric keel lift uses very small mounts of the battery capacity.

My Magnum had the advantage of the Yamaha four stroke alternator but in three years of charter use with a big marine battery, there were no reports of the flat batteries. Being a charter yacht, we put a new battery in each season.

Cheap Chinese winches will easily lift the Castle keel the big issue will be figuring out a manual winch arrangement for when the electrics don't work.

If you need to look at cheap Chinese winches, I have a couple available for measuring etc.

The electric cables that came with the Chinese winches were rubbish. Proper cables are needed to give the winch a chance, the resistance in the original cables was too high.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Dec 1st, '17, 19:16

bachus wrote:Ideally I would replace it with an electric winch but then I really need a second battery and split charging system ...
I was woken one morning at 4am when my CPAP machine stopped because my inverter had decided my battery was flat. It was my last night at Paynesville and I was worried about getting my keel back up with a battery that was down to about 11V.

I needn't have worried; in the morning it grumbled its way up, a bit slower than normal, but it made it. The keel isn't heavy enough to seriously challenge the winch, and even say 60 Amps and 60 seconds is only 1 AmpHr.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Dec 2nd, '17, 18:23

I have been taking a close look at the current winch. Tarps are over the boat so quite snug inside despite the rain. Have added a fairlead to the cabin roof and am in the process of replacing the stainless wire with dyeema ( Stainless was bad mistake - should have been gal wire - stainless already fraying in spots after less than 18 months). Despite the above misgivings I can see the existing winch drum if I stick my head inside the cabinet so will re-rust it (rust convert it) and paint it before deploying the dyeema.

The above will buy some time - time to think - I actually have a new as yet unused 3000lb electric winch - same as on the trailer and bought as a trailer spare. I think some form of quick release for the existing winch and a matching mount for the electric winch will give me the backup I seek.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Return to “Performance & Modifications”