clever ideas for boom tent batten pockets and ropes

Discussion on how to make that Trailer Sailer go faster & more comfortable
AZAmagnum
Able Skipper

clever ideas for boom tent batten pockets and ropes

Post by AZAmagnum » Sep 27th, '16, 19:53

Im giving some thought into a new boom tent made from acrylic canvas.

I think it will be the usual rectangle(2.5W x 3.3L ?) with slightly tapered front to come inside the shrouds.
Probably 4 battens just over a metre apart.

Im after some neat ideas for the ends of the battens, where the tie down ropes go.

I don't want eyelets in the fabric as they will corrode and rip out eventually.

Im sure there are tidier options than standard sail batten ends poking out from the edge of the fabric.

Any pics or ideas ?
Ross780 Mk3

sailboatmike
Admiral

Re: clever ideas for boom tent batten pockets and ropes

Post by sailboatmike » Sep 27th, '16, 20:11

Why not sew in loops made of webbing
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos

AZAmagnum
Able Skipper

Post by AZAmagnum » Sep 27th, '16, 20:40

Yes Mike that was one option I thought of. Then you could tie the strings thru the loops of webbing, no eyelets, D rings etc.
Ross780 Mk3

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sep 27th, '16, 20:47

AZAmagnum wrote:Yes Mike that was one option I thought of. Then you could tie the strings thru the loops of webbing, no eyelets, D rings etc.
Exactly my thoughts, a simple, elegant solution
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 27th, '16, 21:16

We've sewed full pockets previously, but it's alot more work. This one has 5 tabs per batten.
I used to sew a loop ontop to tie the VB cord to, but just sewed 3mm cord direct to it this time.
You can get these grey covers off eBay and are great quality, water proof etc.

Ps, it's not clever, always amazed me people would suffer under a blue tarp with PVC pipe.

Get your battens from Permex, they also do plastic ends. (Grab some for me too while ur there!)
Borrman 38.

JimJ
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by JimJ » Sep 28th, '16, 01:34

I thinking of using FG tent poles (the type with bungy cord in the middle) instead of battens so I can fold the boom tent up smaller.

So I am looking for ideas on how to have the tent pole in a sleeve that allows the pole to be folded and still be tied down at each end.

Furstin
You can get these grey covers off eBay
Is a link available?

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 28th, '16, 06:26

20-25mm webbing sewed three sides would do the pocket I recon. A round batten with one join in the middle would be my preference. Just epoxy aluminium tube to one side.
Obviously the tension on the cover is pulled tight as the curve is induced.
Borrman 38.

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Sep 28th, '16, 07:40

I have a blue canvas boom tent that came with INMA and works well.

But in summer the heat buildup under the tent is challenging.

I'm thinking of making a boom tent out of shade cloth to provide shade and protection with comfort on hot days.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

Sue H
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Sue H » Sep 28th, '16, 11:52

The big green shed stocks some tarp clips called "polytuf" easy clips. I have seen them used on a tarp whilst camping and they do the job well. The packagings says the Heavier the Load the Tighter the Grip. Reuseable, Relocatable and quite neat in application.
www.polytuf.com.au is the website on the package.
Worth a look.
For the battens I sourced some old yellow ones and utilised some old batten ends from an old sail. Wouldn't mind finding a couple more....
Cheers,
Sue

davem
Inshore Skipper

Post by davem » Sep 28th, '16, 13:24

I dont like using VB cord for guy applications - tangles way too easily for my liking. Braid is much nicer. Stiffer = less tangle.

If you like knots, I like this one adjustable grip hitch over the usual knots.

If you dont like tying knots, here is a simple and cheap way to make a tensioner. Up to 15mm of 25mm conduit per item. 3 drill holes at 90 degs apart. Done. Although I like knots, I made some of these up for my boom tent as I prefer tensioners in this case.

AZAmagnum
Able Skipper

Post by AZAmagnum » Sep 28th, '16, 20:22

davem wrote:I dont like using VB cord for guy applications - tangles way too easily for my liking. Braid is much nicer. Stiffer = less tangle.

If you like knots, I like this one adjustable grip hitch over the usual knots.

If you dont like tying knots, here is a simple and cheap way to make a tensioner. Up to 15mm of 25mm conduit per item. 3 drill holes at 90 degs apart. Done. Although I like knots, I made some of these up for my boom tent as I prefer tensioners in this case.

How do you put the running end of your tie down around the toerail or lifeline with these round tensioners ? It looks like there is no "free end" ?

I reckon the webbing folded in half, then sewn three sides is the go for the ends of the batten pockets. I would probably keep my "three sided stitching" back from the end by about 2", this would form a loop in the folded end of the webbing that the tie down cords could be threaded thru.
Ross780 Mk3

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 28th, '16, 21:00

Yeah, that's a good idea, one slip doing two jobs. I've always come off the canvas through the batten end to keep the tension in the canvas all the time, as if it's dry I have it hooked to top lifeline and flatter, and if wet or blowy the bottom lifeline or toerail. If you want a bulletproof design then clipping to top of stauncion gives a rock solid dome, sonething to think about with spacing of battens, but then I still wouldn't go much over 1m. (Every 2nd to stauncion top). Flexibility is key.

3mm VB is way more braid like, I wouldn't use smaller, but if you have 3 or 4 braid then all the better - it's pretty cheap these days.
eBay has clips that are cheap as. But check size, the ones I got barely clip to lines but do. You can't be messing around tying or having adjustment, needs to be clip and go.
Borrman 38.

Pancho 43
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pancho 43 » Sep 28th, '16, 22:23

Greg said

"I have a blue canvas boom tent that came with INMA and works well.

But in summer the heat buildup under the tent is challenging."

Greg, my boat came with both the blue canvas boom tent and blue vinyl bimini cover. Like you I found the bimini quite hot underneath and owing to it being a bit old and faded in patches from being stored long-term in the sun, I decided to paint it with some white vinly paint. best thing I've done to the boat.
It was so successful that I then painted the dark brown roof of out Kimberley Kampa with the same paint with the same result! took all the heat out of it altogether, and well worth a try.
I haven't done the same to the boom-tent yet as I seldom use it but one day ------------------

Cheers, Pete.
Farr 6000 "Just Farr Me"

davem
Inshore Skipper

Post by davem » Sep 29th, '16, 12:37

AZAmagnum wrote:
How do you put the running end of your tie down around the toerail or lifeline with these round tensioners ? It looks like there is no "free end" ?
Just like a tent. The cord bundle is the tent and the loop goes over the 'peg'. Slide the ring to adjust tension. If you are connecting to a lifeline that is not a 'peg' you will want to add a hook on to the loop for a quick connection.

Pancho 43 wrote:paint it with some white vinly paint. best thing I've done to the boat.
Interesting you say this. I made my boom tent from an old white cheap PVC marquis/shelter thing that I was going to throw out. As a shelter it was HOT underneath it. I went ahead since I both had it and I was treating it as a prototype.

Have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. Not sure whether its because the shape allows heat to escape from underneath it or the fact that it is mostly double layer (circumstance, not design) or a combination of both.

I am thinking that a white top with dark underside would be good to try - just like a big broad brimmed canvas hat !

Return to “Performance & Modifications”