Spinnaker on Austral 20

Discussion on how to make that Trailer Sailer go faster & more comfortable
MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Spinnaker on Austral 20

Post by MartinDreaming » Feb 18th, '19, 14:14

An experienced mate, Richard, joined me for a sail in Moreton Bay a few days ago, and we got the spinnaker up. This was the first time I have flown a spinnaker, and the good news is that the spinnaker and sheets look to be in good condition (probably because they are rarely used). I can now see why you usually need a crew to fly a spinnaker, though some of the more experienced hands might do it solo.

The NE breeze was off our port quarter, and occasionally veered further onto the beam. At the time we were downwind of Mud Island in Moreton Bay, and the wind direction changed as it found its way around the island. It was great fun, and got us up to about 5.5 knots in light airs!

However, we also found that the spinnaker occasionally kicked up, and not when the breeze veered or backed. Richard was not sure why, and I certainly have no clue. Has anyone got some advice one this?
IMG_3267-01.jpg
Austral 20 with spinnaker
Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/

rseydler
Able Skipper

Re: Spinnaker on Austral 20

Post by rseydler » Feb 18th, '19, 14:33

See where you have the line running up from the pole? You should have one that runs down as well.

In light airs you need the line running up, but in any air you need the line running from the bottom down. The line running up makes gybing easier as the pole will hold itself up and the crewman doesn't need to juggle a pole, only steady it.

The line running down from the pole to the mast base (or wherever) helps to prevent the pole from skying.

garymalmgren
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by garymalmgren » Feb 18th, '19, 16:07

Your pole should have two bridles.
I can see the bridle for the topping lift in your pic.
If you don't have a second one, a piece of 8 mmm rope with a loop in the middle and one on either end will do the job.
Clip the end loops into the jaws of the pole ends.
Then run a line from the center (loop or ring) down to a block clipped anywhere that looks strong with the line running basically down.
When the spinnaker is set and the pole is close to horizontal cleat the line off somewhere convenient.
Foredeck mooring cleats do the job.
This line is the pole downhaul ( red in the photo) and the brid
Clip.jpg
le is yellow.

gary

garymalmgren
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by garymalmgren » Feb 18th, '19, 16:21

PS
Martin
A gybe preventer on the mainsail boom is a good safety factor for rig and heads.
Going out on Thursday so will take some piccies of mine then.

gary

Return to “Performance & Modifications”