It is currently May 24th, '18, 21:14

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 17th, '18, 00:09 
Admiral

Have thanks: 997 times
I think I may have already made oblique references to this little project, but we're making good progress now on fitting an electric keel winch to Adrian (brother of Ray) on the bay's Noelex 25.

Basically, we've made a simple stainless steel bracket to support a small electric winch above where the manual winch usually sits. The winch axis is fore-aft with the motor forward, there's an upper limit switch in the bracket, and by releasing the clutch on the electric winch, it can be lifted out and replaced with the manual winch about as fast as you can change over the line. There's an inspection hatch and a simple to remove pin, so about 2 minutes!

We'll be fitting switches both in the cockpit and next to the keel case in the cabin. The wiring arrangement means that if an UP button is pressed at the same time as a DOWN button, the winch simply doesn't move; no smoke escapes or anything ugly!

The plan is to build a timber box to cover the winch once it is up and running.

I'll take some photos next time I'm at the boat with the bits; I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in fitting an electric keel winch to their Noelex? What level of skills do you have; would drawings and photos be sufficient, would you want a bracket made up, perhaps bracket, winch, limit switch assembled ready for you drop in and wire yourself? Or the whole shebang?

The same design approach should also work for other boats which use the same worm drive winch.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: Wanton (May 17th, '18, 11:21)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: May 17th, '18, 10:56 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 75 times
Interested in photos, diagrams, dimensions, etc Zeb. options you describe sound good. Do you want some advertising? I'm sure Adrian will pass the word around anyway. :-)

Bayswater North, Vic

PostPosted: May 17th, '18, 23:08 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 570 times
Shebang...although I'd prefer her not to go bang...