Affixing new backstay chainplates

Discussion on how to make that Trailer Sailer go faster & more comfortable
Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Affixing new backstay chainplates

Post by Tezza » Jan 13th, '18, 12:17

I have got to the stage where I need to scrap the existing backstay chainplate/mast rest and replace with standard chainplates I have. The holes line up ok. With the existing set up I cannot get very much tension on the forestay. My dilemma is do I need access to the nuts or should they be glassed to the transom. There is no inspection hole in the cockpit and I would need a very thin and short person to crawl through from the cabin. Thanks.
Attachments
DFCC8A3E-AB41-47EB-8CDE-888519333C57.jpeg
DFCC8A3E-AB41-47EB-8CDE-888519333C57.jpeg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Sonata 6 Mango

AZAmagnum
Able Skipper

Re: Affixing new backstay chainplates

Post by AZAmagnum » Jan 14th, '18, 07:33

Tezza,
I assume you have 2 chainplates/tangs ? One on either side of the transom to take the backstay bridle ? ?
It seems odd that you cant access the bolts. What about the bolts for your rudder gudgeons? Can you get to those ?
And if your rig is inline spreaders, the backstay is really important as it actually holds up the mast, and provides forestay tension.
A pic of the transom would be good.
Ross780 Mk3

Gezza
Inshore Skipper

Post by Gezza » Jan 14th, '18, 08:15

Sonata 8

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Jan 14th, '18, 09:10

What can I say!
Sonata 6 Mango

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Jan 14th, '18, 09:15

I’ll get photo of mine however looks same as this except I have the mast rest thingo in place of the chainplates and fold up ladder on port side . There are no inspection ports or lockers ( excepting small one for remote fuel tank) in cockpit .
Attachments
629E1B72-84FA-4B84-B7DD-1DE142EEE859.jpeg
629E1B72-84FA-4B84-B7DD-1DE142EEE859.jpeg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Sonata 6 Mango

Gezza
Inshore Skipper

Post by Gezza » Jan 14th, '18, 11:38

I have seen some other Sonata 6 and also on my Sonata 8 that have a little 100 or 125 mm inspection port fitted at the rear of the cockpit wall to access the pintle bolt nuts. They are easy to fit and not expensive and they give you access to the chain plates too. https://www.whitworths.com.au/nairn-ins ... hite-white
Sonata 8

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Jan 14th, '18, 12:55

Gezza wrote:I have seen some other Sonata 6 and also on my Sonata 8 that have a little 100 or 125 mm inspection port fitted at the rear of the cockpit wall to access the pintle bolt nuts. They are easy to fit and not expensive and they give you access to the chain plates too. https://www.whitworths.com.au/nairn-ins ... hite-white
Yes I have seen that on another 6 that’s for sale. It might be only option .
Sonata 6 Mango

MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Post by MartinDreaming » Jan 14th, '18, 22:43

Had a similar problem when replacing the bolt-though eyes for my backstay anchor points. I could not find a way to wriggle under the cockpit far enough to reach around the corner on the rear transom to access the nuts on the inside of the hull. I guess Austral fixed the eyes prior to fixing the upper half of the boat to the bottom half (or they sub-contracted some midgets with really long arms). I opted to core-drill a hole, 50mm diameter to get access to the nut-end of the bolt, which worked well, and eventually covered the holes over with prices of 75mm square stainless steel plate that I cut from a blank. Now, I can reach both the upper part of the eyes and the nuts from the cockpit, which you need to do to stop the nut-end spinning when you're tightening the bolt. The photo shows the hole on the port side, and the two backstay bolt-though eyes. One of the bolts has sheared off, which precipitated the replacement of them both.
Attachments
IMG_1941 (6).jpg
Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Performance & Modifications”