50mm hold down straps chaff prevention

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
INMA
Admiral

50mm hold down straps chaff prevention

Post by INMA » Feb 11th, '19, 19:27

I know this has been discussed in the past but I can't find the thread.

INMA is now held down by two 50mm load binders. The binders lay flat on INMA's topsides where chaff is going to be a problem.

What do others do to protect the fibreglass?
Nothing is free, abuse the environment and nature will make us pay the cost with interest.

Anyone ignoring the environment, is probably neglecting our children's future.

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: 50mm hold down straps chaff prevention

Post by Jaime » Feb 11th, '19, 20:19

Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Feb 11th, '19, 22:18

Replacement straps (found while looking for chafe protection) from WIS (no website; 3 Wayne Ct, Dandenong, 03 97933938):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Ratchet ... 1639038734
If I supplied your straps (I bought a bulk pack a while ago) then this is where they came from; 10 for $100 at the time.

Chafe protection from Load Restraint Systems, also in Dandenong, or in Laverton;

Common kevlar protective sleeves won't protect from toe rails (go on, ask me how I know... Didn't even last one trip!)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Pack-50m ... 2834697072

But pallet angles will protect straps going over toe rails:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Pack-Pall ... 1720913970

Load Restraint Systems also sell a protective sleeve with thick rubber which works well, but I can't find them on their ebay store. I can photograph mine if there's interest, can even pick a pair up and deliver to Maffra for Marlay Point weekend.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Feb 11th, '19, 23:00

Nappies! No not the disposable kind. Cloth nappy, thick and fluffy. Wrap around strap until you can wrap no more. Stitch edges with dental floss to hold the rectangle shape, but don't stitch them to the strap. They are pretty long and you get around 4 wraps around a 50mm wide strap. They also come in pretty colors, just make sure they are clean first ;)

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Jaime » Feb 12th, '19, 07:35

rseydler wrote:
Feb 11th, '19, 23:00
Nappies! No not the disposable kind. Cloth nappy, thick and fluffy. Wrap around strap until you can wrap no more. Stitch edges with dental floss to hold the rectangle shape, but don't stitch them to the strap. They are pretty long and you get around 4 wraps around a 50mm wide strap. They also come in pretty colors, just make sure they are clean first ;)
Or you can get th white ones and dye them to suit your boat... or tie dye... psychedelic man
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Feb 12th, '19, 11:57

Thankyou for the information.
Nothing is free, abuse the environment and nature will make us pay the cost with interest.

Anyone ignoring the environment, is probably neglecting our children's future.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Feb 14th, '19, 10:11

I have used cut down pieces of that rubber matting you can buy from that very famous hardware store. I cut the piece a couple of centimeters wider than the strap and cut a slot appropriately. Rather cheap and they seem to work. When I do it again I'll use yellow cause it is prettier.

Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

Return to “Trailers and Towing”