Best Coating for repaired trailer

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
Tweaker
Midshipman

Best Coating for repaired trailer

Post by Tweaker » Jan 11th, '19, 11:12

Hi Everyone,

I have just had the rear of my trailer cut off and repaired and need to coat it. Hot dipping is out of the question due to cost. I had bought this producthttps://www.bunnings.com.au/white-knigh ... r_p1565994 Has anyone had experience with it? Can some suggest something better? I will be brushing it on and I'm prepared to pay a bit more if it will last longer.

Any ideas?

thanks

luke.sleeman
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: Best Coating for repaired trailer

Post by luke.sleeman » Jan 11th, '19, 12:35

Yeah, I used the spray on version on parts of my trailer which were starting to look a bit iffy. That's a primer, so depending on the instructions you may also need a top coat.

It's held up ok for 2.5 years now, however in some of the worst spots some rust is starting to show again. I think in the end nothing beats proper galvanising, but that may not always be economical.

Tweaker
Midshipman

Post by Tweaker » Jan 11th, '19, 15:36

I dropped it off to the fabricator 2 days ago. Here are before and after pics
trailer_before.jpg
trailer after.jpg
Last edited by Tweaker on Jan 11th, '19, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Jan 11th, '19, 18:24

Off topic, is the trailer a yard trailer or a road trailer?

The frame structure around the axle area looks very minimal for Spudgun.

I assume the keel has a bulb, hence the drop in the center. The forces in the frame from the suspension are likely to bend the center section.

Generally that frame is extremely light for an RL24.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

Tweaker
Midshipman

Post by Tweaker » Jan 11th, '19, 20:16

Thanks INMA
The replacement is larger than the existing frame. Does that not make it stronger?

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Jan 11th, '19, 20:57

A lot of the "cold Gal" paints are low in zinc. You can buy up to 97% zinc from memory and the cans are heavy. This is a much better option that the "silver" stuff. Clean to bare metal then coat - it will be a dark grey in colour when it dries not "silver".

But the problem will not be the outer frame but the inner. You cannot paint that. The best I can advise is to buy a common garden spray, adapt it to take a tube and fit a garden spray fitting at the end and then use this to coat the interior of the frame with fish oil on a regular basis.

Or

Fill the interior with oil and seal it. The welding will have to be good for this - seepage not good as probably illegal seeping oil every time you launch.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Jaime
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Jaime » Jan 11th, '19, 21:32

Surely fish oil in the ocean isn't actually a bad thing????
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 12th, '19, 00:35

Tweaker wrote:
Jan 11th, '19, 20:16
Thanks INMA
The replacement is larger than the existing frame. Does that not make it stronger?
Yes but.
The triangular reinforcement plates in the original are missing.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

pdandy
Yachtmaster

Post by pdandy » Jan 12th, '19, 09:46

zebedee wrote:
Jan 12th, '19, 00:35
Tweaker wrote:
Jan 11th, '19, 20:16
Thanks INMA
Yes but.
Does the angled rear section ( next section back) compensate for that? ( asking out of interest)

Ps inma - spudgun had a bulb added when she was at paynesville
noelex 25 green velvet

Ukuri
Able Skipper

Post by Ukuri » Jan 12th, '19, 09:54

Whatever you coat it with you really want to get it as clean as possible before you paint.
I recently bought one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pressure-Wa ... 1438.l2649.
Note that they only work on a K2 or higher Karcher, it wouldn't work on my Karcher "Winner 10" which is a K1. So I had to buy a new K2 model. Got one from the bunnies for $99 and gave the old one to one of the kids.
It, the sandblast attachment, works a treat. Didn't use a lot of sand and NO DUST, I just waited for the wet sand to dry then swept it up.

Edit added.
For brands other than Karcher what you need is an output of 6 litres/minute or greater. Less than that and the pump rapidly cycles ON/OFF and it wont last long.

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Jan 12th, '19, 18:27

Tweaker, you assume the original trailer was suitable to carry the yacht. From the photos, I can't see all the details, but my conclusion remains that that trailer design and construction has many issues regarding strength (breaking) and stability 9(bending).

Given the way it was fabricated and not galvanised, I'm not sure it was ever expected to be a long term transport for Spudgun.

My guess is painting it is overcapitalising it, its not going to survive long on the road. Painting it will not make a big difference to its life given the rate of rust consuming the frame on the inside. Assuming the gal tube used is the cheapest and likely imported from China, significant rust is inevitable.

The cost of salvaging a broken trailer can be thousands of dollars. If it fails on the road and causes an accident, the liabilities can be a lot more than thousands. When you modify a trailer register it and use it, you as the owner modifier are responsible that it is safe.

In other situations I'd urge you to get it galvanised but due to the compromises in design, I just urge you to buy a stronger trailer designed to carry Spudgun.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 12th, '19, 20:15

zebedee wrote:
Jan 12th, '19, 00:35
Yes but.
pdandy wrote:
Jan 12th, '19, 09:46
Does the angled rear section ( next section back) compensate for that? ( asking out of interest)
Not really; there's a very long load path via the back cross member and it relies upon the side rails being torsionally stiff, which they aren't.
pdandy wrote:
Jan 12th, '19, 09:46
Ps inma - spudgun had a bulb added when she was at paynesville
Presumably the trailer was, ahh, mutilated at the same time to fit the new keel.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Return to “Trailers and Towing”