It is currently Jul 23rd, '18, 05:46

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer keel rollers.
PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 17:33 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 118 times
Trailer keel rollers.

On my trailer I have 20+ keel rollers and if properly grease, launching is no problem.
But lately I have one or two rollers under the keel damaged and I have to go deeper to be able float the boat off.
I have some discussion with friend of mine and he recommended to replace rubber 12” rollers with red poly type as he did.
They are more resistant to damage and don’t compress as the rubber one.
They are relatively expensive, $40 and local shops don’t stock them.
I don’t like to buy on line before I see the shape and profile. Is there shop in Melbourne to stock 12” with 1” hole in red poly?
I will appreciate advice.
Regards Frank

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 18:20 
Admiral

Have thanks: 585 times
Frank, the red rollers are probably harder than the rubber rollers.

The compression on the rollers needs to be the same otherwise the hard rollers will take more load on a smaller area which is likely to damage the keel gelcoat.

If you are just changing a few rollers, then stay with the rubber rollers. If you are changing all the rollers then you can consider red rollers.

If doing a few rollers, put them on the back where the yacht puts the most load when retrieving and on the road.

I bought a rubber roller recently and the quality was fine.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

For this message the author INMA has received thanks: Frank Peters (Feb 3rd, '18, 08:28)
  Rating: 4.76%

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 19:39 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1025 times
Frank, the first thing that came to mind was that different roller materials (colour coded) are intended for different applications, and to wonder whether red is correct for your fibreglass boat.

Short answer, yes, red polyurethane rollers are suitable for fibreglass hulls, whereas the harder blue polyethylene rollers are going to be harder on the fibreglass if the fit of hull to trailer is in any way imperfect. (Just getting that out of the way!)

Spinnythings in Pakenham (closer than Melbourne for you) have these 12" wide/1" bore red rollers:

Presumably you're familiar with [url=http://stores.ebay.com.au/traralgon-trailers/_i.html?_nkw=12%22+%28roller%2Crollers%29+-galvanized+-eziguide+-bracket+-wobble+-rocker+-yoke&submit=Search&_sid=1050667509Traralgon Trailers[/url]?

The Trailer Repair Centre in Braeside (seemingly a part of the Dunbier/Mackay empire) has [url=http://trailerrepaircentre.com/shop/trailer-parts/rollers-and-equipment/12-dogbone-roller-black-poly/]two[/url] shapes of 12" rollers, one is black polyurethane (same material as red rollers) while the cheaper roller is black rubber. Shaft/bore diameter is not given.

Whitworths don't seem to have rollers that long.
To my surprise, Huntsman trailers in Seaford don't seem to do conventional rollers at all; they only seem to have wobble rollers.
Both Bigman and Carac in Dandenong don't seem to sell boat trailer rollers at all.
Ditto Sunrise and Bawa in Dandenong, though they have a place in their website for them!

I'm running out of ideas here; Spinnythings looks like your best bet.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: Frank Peters (Feb 3rd, '18, 08:28)

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 22:06 
Able Skipper

Hi All,

thanks for your valuable information, I have spare replacement rubber rollers and I only consider red poly under the keel and first 3 on the back. I let you know how it end up. Thanks again for your help. Regards Frank

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 22:36 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 578 times
Frank, if you have a mckay then check the bore diameter and external diameter before buying rollers - when I replaced a few on my trailer I found most of the online trailer places were selling a different diameter bore or external diameter than my mckay had ( so I ended up paying slightly more and getting them from mckay) - all the rollers need to be at the same height, otherwise you'll start bending shafts or damaging the hull.

You might buy some time by just moving the flat rear rollers to the front ( I got a couple of years by doing this - which would be 10/11 frank sailing years) , but the eventually started to split and I've replaced most of mine over the last few years.

Ps try backing the boat up LESS - it alows you to tilt it more ( before the stern starts to float / stop the tilt function)

Zeb, I think this s the roller that I bought
http://trailerrepaircentre.com/shop/tra ... alvanized/

Unlike some of the cheaper rollers, it has a gal centre core with the outer bonded - ie there is gal rolling on gal.

Eg the ones at traralgon trailers were just rubber and only about $1 cheaper

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/boat-traile ... 19f6d1a9a0

For this message the author pdandy has received thanks: 2 Frank Peters (Feb 3rd, '18, 08:28), INMA (Feb 2nd, '18, 22:57)
  Rating: 9.52%

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 23:47 
Admiral

pdandy wrote:
Zeb, I think this s the roller that I bought
http://trailerrepaircentre.com/shop/tra ... alvanized/

That's a roller shaft rather than a roller!

Quote:
Unlike some of the cheaper rollers, it has a gal centre core with the outer bonded - ie there is gal rolling on gal.

The black rubber rollers I've noticed have generally had a white plastic tube for a liner to protect the rubber from the high load density at the shaft, but a gal tube sounds more robust.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: Frank Peters (Feb 3rd, '18, 08:29)

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '18, 11:27 
Administrator

Have thanks: 418 times
Hello Frank.
Whatever material you decide on for the rollers please only use straight section rollers. The cotton reel or tapered rollers are a waste of time and money. The reason is they are smallest outside diameter at the centre which increases the turning pressure required. With the weight of a 25 foot TS the taper on the roller has no centering effect. I experimented over 3 -4 years with various self centering rollers under our Sonata 26. All are wonderful in theory but simply don't work with heavier yachts.

For this message the author MoodyBlue has received thanks: INMA (Feb 3rd, '18, 16:24)

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '18, 10:51 
Able Skipper

Hi All,
I finally bought 12” rollers from Spinngthings in Pakenham, just what zeb advised.
They have excellent service, all parts for trailers and very reasonable price.
They even put rollers on the side if I came to buy them. I decided to put 5 red poly rollers under the keel and 3 on the back where the boat starts to clime on the trailer.
I will reset all side supporting rollers and winch my boat off without ditching my axle bearings.
Same with retrieving the boat, using tilt for better angle.

Next week I lift the boat in the shed and I may even find the weight of the Noelex keel, if I have the time.
That has been question for years, is it 227Kg or 272Kg?
Different pamphlets have different figures and they probably never make two different keels
. Regards Frank

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '18, 13:34 
Admiral

That's an enormous shed that they have at Pakenham isn't it!

227kg is of course 500lbs; but then 272kg is 600lbs. Is it possible there was a change mid production?

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 18:32 
Able Skipper

Hi All,

We come back from Paynesville after excellent Easter sailing cruise with Baysiders.
I launched my Noelex with 8 new red keel rollers and what a difference.
I did not have to tilt my trailer and only held the rope and slow it down. Retrieving was not too bad either.
So as I got home I ordered 10 new keel rollers to change the lot.
When in Paynesville car park I check some trailers to see what other people have and what their condition is. On average trailers are poorly maintain, rusty and neglected. What a shame.
I am going to put second U bolt on the front of my boat and have safety chain attached to this second one.
In the past my U bolt broke, only one side, but I want the boat to be secured.
With new rollers, less friction, the boat must be secure.
After that is done I will be ready for new season.
Regard Frank

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 21:15 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 81 times
I replaced my 12 x 12 inch rubber keel rollers by purchasing 12 red rollers from the manufacturers in Brisbane. They are perfect and quality items. I would recommend them, I paid by credit card I think.

PaulS

PostPosted: Apr 15th, '18, 21:00 
Able Skipper

Hi All,

I have bought 10 more rollers from Pakenham people to have all the same type.

The boat rolls so easily, no way to go back to black rubber.

Also I replace the last 5 spindles for SS 316 for $20 ea, very cheap.

And for extra security second U bolt on the front for safety chain.

Now we finish our sailing season and I can concentrate on other project,

Regards Frank