It is currently Aug 19th, '18, 12:36

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member Introductions
PostPosted: Jul 21st, '15, 11:50 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 1 time
Hello, this is a great site and I'm glad to have a chance to be part of it. I am not new to sailing having raced boards, lasers, cats, larger keel boats and to a minor extent TS's. I recently purchased a 1980 NW7 dropkeel as a project boat. It certainly gives the appearance of being once loved but raced hard and now in need of some serious care and attention, although still sails well. Luckily, the keel and case look almost new. The intent is to fix all the important bits, glam it up a bit and make her new cruising grounds between the Whitsundays and Hinchenbrook Island- I am based in Townsville.
I am at the moment fixing the boom- needs new inboard and outboard end plates. Please advise if anyone knows where to source these for North Wind 7's or perhaps Southern Cross 23's or Sonata 7's as they could be the same, provided the same rigging was used in Queensland- North Wind was QLD based according to TSP archives. I have checked this site, the Sonata Association of Vic, and most of everything on the net, and also spoken to local marine suppliers. I have checked the mast base- no sign of an ID there. No luck yet but I suppose if no joy I can make some plates up out of SS. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Cheers
CK9
North Wind 7 'Small Change'

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '15, 12:22 
Administrator

Have thanks: 419 times
CK9
Welcome to TSP.

Unfortunately for Yacht parts you will often struggle.

There are few aftermarket suppliers, and zero workshop manuals.

In Victoria we are very lucky to have Bob Keeley Marine. Bob is in his 80's and runs (I think) a business that supplies mast feet and boom fittings as well as most mast sections.

Pictures are always a major help in helping others source parts as boom fittings are often common across various boats.

Cheers
Jeff
TSP Admin.

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '15, 16:59 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 258 times
welcome onboard

in QLD you can try http://www.allyachtspars.com.au/

They have done a lot of the gear for QLD made boats since the 70's. Photos would be a help.

cheers

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '15, 16:03 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 58 times
Try making contact with the Sonata Association. The Sonata sailors in the Association have an incredible wealth of knowledge regarding the parts/replacements for Sonatas and the SC and maybe the Northwind too were pretty much the same - rigging wise.
Good luck.
Sue

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '15, 16:23 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 1 time
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought parts may be problematic. I tried downloading pics to my previous entry but am a bit of a learner driver- new to forum's of any kind. When I sort it out , I will post the method of getting heavily corroded boom ends out of the boom section as none of the suggested methods on cruising yacht forums worked including applying heat.
I am toying with the idea of routing up some new boom ends out of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene). I can source out a couple of 50mm thick blocks and the properties of the plastic seem to align with the intended use. I don't know how it will take the sun up in the North though, although most of it will be inside the boom.
Cheers
CK9

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '15, 16:36 
Administrator

Have thanks: 419 times
CK,
You can always e-mail your pics to me or one of the moderators and we can usually load them for you.

Regards
Jeff
TSP Administrator.