It is currently Aug 19th, '18, 12:46

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '13, 07:59 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi this is Shannon Kennedy, I have had Noelex 25, Jacana, in Perth, WA for close to a year. Being a beginner, I have spent the first year motoring in the swan river, learning how to launch, retrieve, anchor, tie up to moorings for a few nights and basic driving and navigating waterways. I know this seems very slow going, but I want to be safe, and my goals are extended coastal cruising trips in the future. I don't know anyone else who sails, so I go sailing with my best mate, fiancé and her friend most of the time. We are thinking about trying to raise the mast for the first time and do a little bit of exploring just off Jurien Bay, WA, about 200km north of Perth. There is no information on sailing there on the Internet, so I was wandering if anyone had been there and is it normal practice to anchor in sheltered water near an island overnight, or do most people stay at marinas during the night. Baullinger Island is about 1km off the coast, and looks ok to start. I plan to do a half day sailing course the day before we leave, but it will be a bit different to trying on my own. My usual friends will accompany me, I want to get out and begin to explore but safety being the priority.
Any response or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '13, 10:39 
Administrator

Have thanks: 419 times
Shannon,
I'm not sure of your sailing experience, but you should have had the mast up in the first outing. I would not consider a half day sailing course any where near adequate for a 200 mile open water trip.

Concentrate on the sailing part, as motoring is only a back up for short trips or to assist when motor sailing.
For open water sailing in a 25 foot trailer sailer you must be able to sail, you must be able to handle the boat in heavy weather, and you must be efficient/competent at reefing sails, and knowing when to do so.
If you read some of the posts on WA trips on this site, there is much preparation and experience required to do that sort of trip with relative safety.

Another thing to think of is sail boats sail much much better than the do as motor boats, so get those sails out and start learning how to use them.

Surely there are stretches of the Swan where you can practice in?

Jeff (Moody Blue)

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '13, 18:07 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 3 times
Hi Shannon, go and play in the river or off Cockburn for a bit, I would let you come on my boat but im off to work tomorrow for 2 weeks. there are plenty of people to sail with if you hang around any of the clubs or put an ad on gumtree or even at the sailing clubs.
Jeff. I think he was going to trailer the boat up to Jurien.
When are you thinking of going Shannon?

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '13, 18:51 
Administrator

Have thanks: 419 times
Pop
I'm not familiar with locations in WA? I have watched the adventures of Mike, Bob, and Klaus and was thinking it is a serious place requiring a high level of experience to plan and not become a "News Rescue Event"

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '13, 19:17 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 43 times
Welcome Shannon. I wondered what had happened to Jacana.
Personally, I wouldn't bother too much with Jurien. There is relatively little protected water and a lot of reef here and there.
I agree about getting the sails up. Mandurah is a good spot, especially if you can get down during the week when the estuary is not crowded. Launching at Port Bouvard gives you easy access to Harvey Estuary. Because it runs North/South, it is great for sailing up and down using the morning Easterly and the afternoon SW sea breeze. There is a lot of very shallow water around but the charts show a channel deep enough running down the middle of the estuary. Even so, the shallows are mostly mud anyway so running aground is not a disaster. It is also a great place to overnight and have a feast of crabs at the same time.

One thing I would advise when cruising WA waters in Summer! When the Easterly drops around noon and everything is calm, it is time to put a reef in the main because the sea breeze comes quickly and often freshens quite alarmingly if you are new to sailing. It is easier take the reef out later than put one in under pressure.

There are some notes on my web site (http://www.sandpiper.hinchy.org) to guide you. Feel free to contact me via PM for any advice or assistance. Unfortunately, I am under a bit of time pressure at present but still ask.

Terry

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '13, 21:14 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Hello, thank you all so much for your warm replies. Yeah sorry I was planning to trailer jacana up there but I really like your suggestions on Cockburn sound, new area, overnight , maybe catch a few crabs and put the mast up to sail at last! Rigging and deriving the mast looks overwhelming and there are many steps, but mike did write some instructions to follow, it's just a matter of heading down there. The half day lesson is down near there so whilst fresh can practice. I also work on a 2 week on 1 week off basis, if anyone feels like coming down.

PostPosted: Nov 28th, '13, 11:46 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 62 times
Good advice given. Cockburn Snd for a week off work and in/out of Mandurah would be great.
Jacana knows its way around particularly Shark Bay! That place is special and worth upskilling towards. Around Easter is probably best there.

-Bob

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '13, 15:56 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 4 times
If you would like some assistance learning to sail your nolex I have sailed & crewed on Nolex 25s in the past in NZ racing them. I now have an RL 24 (getting some work done on her atm) & would be more than happy to come aboard & help/teach a bit. PM me if this suits with a ph no. & perhaps we can organise something that suits Depending on where you live there are plenty of launching ramps around Perth.

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '13, 15:40 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 3 times
Hi Miss Stress Knot....what a great name. lol. sounds like the go. Wonder what you are like on a seaway 25?
just down the hill in stratton. Did you buy the RL24 from morangup?