Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
Rich
Midshipman

Post by Rich » Jul 21st, '13, 19:28

Hi, just introducing myself to prove I'm "Human" . I'm new to boating bought a trailer sailer having never even been on a sailing boat before, but sometimes jumping in the deep end is the best way to get things done. So I thought I'd join TSP to help with all the questions I have to ask. I have a 23ft Northwind, doesn't look pretty but definitely does the job, does anyone have any experience with these boats?

Cooper
Admiral

Re: New Member

Post by Cooper » Jul 21st, '13, 20:16

Welcome to the forum. Glad that you are human and therefore one step in front of most of the members. :lol: I think you will find a wealth of knowledge on here regarding your boat. Try using the search facility for the make of the boat whilst you are waiting.

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.

Yebo
Midshipman

Post by Yebo » Jul 21st, '13, 20:32

Welcome, I joined as a new sailor and have learned lots form this wealth of knowledge

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jul 21st, '13, 23:10

Welcome Rich,
I looked in my 1979 model book, "The Observer's Book of Sailing Craft" by Peter Campbell and there is a short write up and some specs on your boat in it. Nothing very detailed, but you may be interested. :)
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Jul 22nd, '13, 11:28

Welcome Rich.

Have a look at the SYAV site also (Sonata Yacht Association of Victoria)... The Northwind hull is the same as a Sonata 7, Southern Cross 23 hull. Interior and deck are slightly differing in each case.

Cheers,
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

Rich
Midshipman

Post by Rich » Jul 23rd, '13, 00:20

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. Marg, I had a look at the SYAV site and it has answered some of my questions, nice to know it has the same hull as the Sonata 7 I hear they are a very good boat. Peter thanks for having a look at your book for me, I looked online and this book can be purchased, do you think it would be worth my while?

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jul 23rd, '13, 09:41

The Peter Campbell book is 1979 vintage and I find it interesting, but it obviously doesn't cover later boats such as the Noelex 25 and even my South Coast 25. It also doesn't take the form of a sailing test. The short bit on each yacht is pretty basic, but may be useful to you. If it isn't too costly, I would suggest getting it. It won't take up much room 9n the book-case!
I can summarize the entry for the North Wind 7 here:
LOA 6.9m
Beam 2.4m
Draft 1.21m
Ballast 400kg.
Sail area 25.5 square metres.

It is described as a swing keel yacht designed for class racing but having ample cruising accommodation. The rest you would know about except perhaps that he says the water tank is 81.8 litres and the boat was a "top class" construction by North Wind Yachts of New Farm in Brisbane.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

Rich
Midshipman

Post by Rich » Jul 24th, '13, 18:51

Thanks Peter, handy to know a bit more about my boat. I couldn't find anything about it up until now, only knew that it was made in New Farm from an old faded sticker on the side.

ricdanger
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by ricdanger » Jul 24th, '13, 19:47

Welcome to the "we were the frist sonata 7s" club!
Ric

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma

Rich
Midshipman

Post by Rich » Jul 26th, '13, 18:50

thanks Ric! is the Southern Cross also the same hull as the Sonata 7? how do you find your boat? I having nothing to compare mine to but have to say I'm happy with the way it sails.

ricdanger
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by ricdanger » Jul 26th, '13, 19:19

It's heavy, slow, trustworthy and forgiving, but then again I normally sail three or four up will full tanks, lots of food, grog and stuff!

But sailing for me is all about the journey not destination so am more than happy with that combination, specially with a little one on board.

Slurpy noisy when over 5kts which I think is water banging around in the keel case.
Ric

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma

Rich
Midshipman

Post by Rich » Jul 26th, '13, 19:24

yeah I'm much the same, in no rush to get there or I would have bought a motor boat.

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”