It is currently Aug 19th, '18, 12:52

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member introduction
PostPosted: Jul 4th, '13, 20:44 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
G'day, my name is Chris. I used to sail dinghy's a as a kid and have often thought about getting back into sailing. I have two young kids and would like them to experience sailing also. I am 'dipping my toe in' so to speak to read up on the pro's and cons of a trailer sailer. I live at Pt Lonsdale so don't have far to go to get amongst the salt water. I don't have any particular yacht in mind and have already found this site as a useful insight into owning a trailer sailer. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Cheers.

PostPosted: Jul 4th, '13, 20:59 
Admiral

Have thanks: 498 times
Welcome to the forum. If you do a search you will find quite a few threads which cover this subject. I am sure however that if you ask questions you will get plenty of answers. :D

Coops.

PostPosted: Jul 4th, '13, 23:28 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 476 times
Welcome mate, plenty of good help here for any questions, while we dont agree on everything you get plenty of different view points. and how boring would life be if we all agreed on everything anyways :lol:

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '13, 00:40 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1034 times
CHRIS TS wrote:
G'day, my name is Chris. I used to sail dinghy's a as a kid and have often thought about getting back into sailing. I have two young kids and would like them to experience sailing also. I am 'dipping my toe in' so to speak to read up on the pro's and cons of a trailer sailer. I live at Pt Lonsdale so don't have far to go to get amongst the salt water. I don't have any particular yacht in mind and have already found this site as a useful insight into owning a trailer sailer. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Cheers.

Hi Chris;

The two main limiting factors for most people are $$dollars and towing capacity.To a certain extent they're linked; for example if your towing capacity is limited to say 800kg, then with the exception of Farr 5000s which seem to be asking around $10k, there isn't much over about $6k.

Do you plan on overnighting on board or are you primarily looking for a day sailer? While most trailer sailers at least attempt to have sleeping quarters, there are a handful of dedicated day sailers which are well worth considering if camping is not on the agenda. In particular, the Status 580 and the Haines Tramp.

See also the Crawfords library of old brochures etc.

Graham

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '13, 07:44 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. Towing is not a problem for me as I have a 4x4 which will tow up to 3500kg (not that I'd want to tow that much) and the idea of overnighting in the boat is also appealing. The family enjoy camping so I guess it's in some ways similar but on water. As far as budget goes, I was hoping to keep it under $20k. I currently have a half cab motor boat which I plan to sell and put $ towards the purchase of a TS. It doesn't have to be a racer as I think the family would be more interested in just cruising around so a comfortable and roomier interior is probably more important. I have seen some 'water ballast' boats advertised. I imagine these would be lighter to tow and launch but was wondering is this a compromise once you get out on the water? Cheers. Chris

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '13, 07:57 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 476 times
Should be able to get something really nice for $20K or less, unlike power boats there isnt 30% of the price of the boat wrapped up in the engine.

Maybe a nice Farr 6000 or Sonata 7, your choices are limited only by your personal needs from the boat, IMHO bigger isnt always better, as the bigger the boat the more setup time and maint issues, as i wise man always says on here, "get the smallest boat that will do the job you want of it"

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '13, 08:31 
Admiral

Have thanks: 311 times
Welcome Chris,
Yes it is a very personal decision and depends on lots of factors. If you are time poor, the bigger boats can literally take hours to prepare for launching whereas the sub-20 footers can take 15 minutes.
There are plenty of bargains around the 20 foot mark such as Sunmaids and Investigators which will accommodate 4 at a pinch and give you a great intro to TS and well within your budget.
Trailers are often dodgy, so factor in some money to get the trailer 100%, especially the brakes.
Good luck :)

"Myf" the skiff

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '13, 09:49 
Admiral

Have thanks: 599 times
Chris, welcome to TSP.

Its great to see a family getting into sailing where they can muck around together. We did it many years ago and I never regret the fun.

Given your location near Port Phillip Heads, have a look at some of the heavier ballasted yachts like the Bonito 22, Boomaroo 22, Sabre 22 and South Coast 22. They are all in your price range and should give you sailing all months of the year and a bit of extra safety if the weather turns nasty.

The other boats on offer are safe, so don't think I am saying buy this or buy that, its just a good place to start the search.

There are some good clubs sailing out of your area, it helps with the kids to be around other boats so they can get some distance from mum and dad and meet other kids.

And don't think the Gippsland Lakes is too far away for a weekend or more. the kids will find the Lakes an ideal playground and you will find the Lakes wonderful with the excellent jetties and ammenities.

The comments about trailers in a previous post is important, the big advantage of a TS is being able to drive places then have a cruise or race. A dud trailer can make your life hell.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '13, 15:14 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1034 times
CHRIS TS wrote:
...I have a 4x4 which will tow up to 3500kg ... the idea of overnighting in the boat is also appealing. ...I was hoping to keep it under $20k.

Well that was a complete flop at narrowing the field!

CHRIS TS wrote:
I have seen some 'water ballast' boats advertised. I imagine these would be lighter to tow and launch but was wondering is this a compromise once you get out on the water?

One of the better known water ballasted brands is the MacGregor power sailor models. They are a fairly unique set of compromises (all boats are compromises!) which tend to polarise people, but more conventional boats with water ballast also exist, including the earlier MacGregor "classic" models.

Have a wander about in the "Spotted for sale" thread, not much that's on the market escapes notice there. Start at the end and work back into the past.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '13, 04:01 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 258 times
So far after 2 weekends on the water in our new RL28 my family think its much better than when we had the camper trailer. I am currently awake at 3am doing an anchor check staring out of the front cabin hatch at the stars listening to the waves on the beach. Kids climb all over it like its playground equipment. I love the headroom and stability under sail. I just smile to myself standing at the companionway boiling the kettle on my metho stove talking to those in the cockpit and enjoying the view. Yes its big to tow, yes it takes a while to rig, but once on the water the space and stability, not to mention the toilet and shower more than make up for it. Oh it sails ok too. Happy hunting, that gets addictive so watch out.

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 18:34 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 105 times
The Farr 5000 and Farr 6000 don't have winches. I think sailing my Farr 6000 is quite close to dinghy sailing, without the planing :-( and without the hiking :-)

Might be a good place to start for an ex-dinghy sailor.

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650