It is currently Aug 19th, '18, 13:07

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 17:48 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 273 times
Welcome to the fold Andrew.

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 18:26 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1034 times
The Sunmaid would be quite a change of pace from an A-class!

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 19:12 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Tezza wrote:
Hi Ken,
You know that the Northwind is effectively a Sonata /South Coast
See here for details
http://sonatayacht.com/links.htm.
Click on ‘our boats ‘ then specifications

Yes Tezza, I was aware of that! My boat was done up as the "Boat of the Show" for the 1977 Boat Show rounds and was given all the optional extras, including the "sugar scoop" on the transom giving it that little extra waterline length! I'm looking forward to getting it back into the water!

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 19:55 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 51 times
Ken_NW7 wrote:
Tezza wrote:
Hi Ken,
You know that the Northwind is effectively a Sonata /South Coast
See here for details
http://sonatayacht.com/links.htm.
Click on ‘our boats ‘ then specifications

Yes Tezza, I was aware of that! My boat was done up as the "Boat of the Show" for the 1977 Boat Show rounds and was given all the optional extras, including the "sugar scoop" on the transom giving it that little extra waterline length! I'm looking forward to getting it back into the water!

Sounds great. The above will give all the measurements except the LOA . I would compare a couple with actual eg. J just to make sure .
PHOTOS pls.
btw above says spinnaker pole 2970

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '18, 19:37 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 2 times
Hi guys
Thanks for accepting my registration.
A quick intro, I'm from south coast of NSW and have always owned boats but always for fishing, currently a US bass boat.
The wife and I are planning a change of lifestyle now that we are empty nesters and after a recent trip to Darwin and watching yachts pulling up near the beaches and into the marinas we thought this is a lifestyle we'd like to try.
My sailing experience is limited to a small amount of time in a small catamaran some years ago.
Reading through the posts on you site I can see a wealth of information and experience and am hoping to tap into this and eventually add to it.
I'm already searching for a boat and doing heaps of research but have lots of questions so I hope you don't mind answering a few.
Thanks
Mick

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '18, 20:16 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 51 times
Welcome .
They are a great bunch of very helpful knowledgeable yachties here so ask away.

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '18, 20:32 
Admiral

With power boat experience and the basics of sailing learnt on a catamaran, you're well placed for a novice. You'll just need to get used to going slower!

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '18, 20:48 
Admiral

Have thanks: 599 times
Mick, welcome to TSP.

Check out local yacht clubs where you will find sailors and more information. Yacht clubs often focus on racing which is a good learning experience for novices and should help you decide on what you need and want.

The big mistake made by novices buying traierable yachts is they think old trailers will be ok and project yachts is a learning experience. Buy a yacht ready to sail on an excellent trailer, no compromises.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '18, 20:31 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 2 times
Thanks for the welcome guys

Tezza. Will have plenty to ask. Cheers Mate
Zebedee, Going slow and relaxing is what I'm after, Cheers mate.

Inma. Whilst I'm pretty handy at fixing things up I understand exactly what you're saying, will be looking for something that suits but also one thats ready to tow and sail. Cheers mate.

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '18, 16:50 
Midshipman

Hello, and thank you for accepting my registration.

I don't have a boat but I'd like one so the main reason I'm here is to learn from people with superior sailing experience, which I suspect will be almost everybody. As a teenager I sailed dinghies on lakes in the UK (Wayfarers), and now in middle-age I feel a passion rekindled after sailing Hobie cats on holiday in Vanuatu and Noosa and crewing a 36-footer from Redcliffe Yacht Club. After my initial research a trailer-sailer seemed like the right fit, being big enough to live aboard and sturdy enough for the ocean, while saving on mooring fees and being able to work on it at home.

However, it's all become a bit more complicated now. I thought my Jeep Wrangler, with all that power, would be able to tow a good-sized TS, but no, apparently it's limited to 1000kg, presumably because of instability issues with the short wheel-base. Also, I've since learnt that it takes quite some time to rig up your boat and then un-rig it at the end of the day, and that you can't raise the mast on your own. Plus I live in Kenmore, which is about as far from the ocean as you can get in Brisbane.

And after my initial overconfidence I've accepted that I don't really have much of a clue when it comes looking at boats. For example, the ads always mention sail quality but I don't know how important that is nor how I'd assess the quality of a sail I was looking at. And trailers ... apparently their quality is very important too.

Now, I know what you'll say -- start small, crew other people's boats, see if you really like it, and maybe get a sailing dinghy and take a course. Very sensible, of course, but I know I'll like it -- it's been a romantic dream since childhood.

Perhaps I've written more than is appropriate in an introduction, in which case I apologise. Should I repost elsewhere?

Matt

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '18, 18:01 
Admiral

Have thanks: 599 times
Welcome Matt.

Given your tow car limitation, you will be limited to small yachts and multihulls. Buy something with good resale value and upgrades will be simpler when you want more.

For mainly day trips and camping, a Haines Tramp would be a good yacht for the waters near you.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '18, 19:02 
Admiral

First of all, do not be afraid of mast raising. With the right equipment (and enough time) you can raise a lamppost on your own!

I assume by "live aboard" you mean live aboard overnight to a few weeks. What is tolerable for one person for a weekend may not be acceptable for a couple and offspring for a week, so you probably need to iron out what this means to you.

Trailer sailer owners get a bit twitchy at the mention of the word "ocean"; these are not boats for Bass Strait on a grumpy day. Where did you have in mind?

Whatever you buy, your next car is likely to be selected with towing in mind, so there's a good chance you'll move to something larger when that happens. With that in mind, there's a lot to be said for something which presents well; which looks clean and well cared for, so that you can move it on fairly easily when the time comes.

Another possibility is to keep the boat mast up on its trailer at a marina or similar (I'm from Melbourne, I don't know what's available around Brisbane), and just use the Jeep to launch and retrieve and back it into its allotted space. This would free you up from legal on-road tow capacity constraints. (If it had two more doors, your Wrangler would be rated 2000kg...)

Do you see yourself doing day sailing around the Brisbane area, short cruises (say 2-4days) or longer cruises of a week or more? This affects the balance between needing a boat which can be rigged and launched quickly for day sailing, versus a boat which might take an hour or more to rig but has room and facilities to cruise for a week or longer at a time. For example, I live just a couple of miles from the sea, but I tow 300km to Gippsland and spend a week or more at a time on the water about 3 to 5 times a year, so quick rigging is less of an issue to me. If I wanted a day sailer for Port Phillip I'd be looking for quite a different boat. If I lived in Gippsland, with either a jetty berth or storage at a ramp, I'd be looking at something different again.

For the right circumstances, I'd love a Haines Tramp, but it's very much a day sailing boat without proper accomodation. I reckon they'd be ideal for a local living down on the Gippsland Lakes who had somewhere to keep one with the mast up. A Flying Fifteen is a completely different boat which might fit the same sort of niche, but very few of us get to live that niche.

Budget obviously matters, not just what you can afford, but also not spending too much on a boat which you will likely sell as your confidence, skills and understanding of your needs develop. A really easy way to spend too much os to buy a boat and trailer with problems and then spend half your time ploughing time and money into them instead of sailing.

BTW, your introduction is not only appropriate but fairly typical; we've seen versions of most of your questions before.

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '18, 22:52 
Admiral

Have thanks: 311 times
Welcome Matt, Zebedee has summed things up pretty well as usual.

You will be hard pressed to find a TS that provides anything more than basic camping accommodation that weighs less than 1,000kg on its trailer. My little Investigator 563 comes to about 1250kgs.
You would be restricted mainly to boats around 5 metres long like Hartley TS16's. Whilst these are great boats, they have little internal space and rely on form stability rather than ballast to stay upright. Most are also timber which can be a problem if rot starts. There are a few FG boats that would come in below 1,000kg on trailer, such as the Griffin 17, Ultimate 16, Tropic 460 and possibly the Farr 5000. I might be selling my CAL14 later in the year but I would not recommend it unless you are very diminutive!

So paraphrasing what Zeb has said, if you stick with the Jeep, your options are small boats or mast-up storage.

If you want to look to the future, getting a tow vehicle able to tow say 1500kgs can allow you to buy some TS around the 20' or 6 metre mark. Obviously if you want some larger boat options, the more towing capacity the better but bear in mind that in some states, if not all, once you get above 2,000kg. the trailer needs to have a much more costly and elaborate braking system.

In terms of mast raising, some boats come with mast-raising systems which can mean easy solo raising and lowering. Even if a boat does not have one, they are pretty easily fabricated if you are a bit handy.

Good luck.

"Myf" the skiff

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '18, 14:47 
Midshipman

ouch, I have just now found this thread, still finding my way around the forum.

I've said already a few things about me in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15562

Very summarised: Juan, living in Canberra, originally from Argentina and in Aus since 2005.
I sail since a child (my dad started about the time I was born). Back in Arg I "inherited" the family boat in my 20s, a keelboat 25ft and spent my weekends cruising in the Rio de la Plata. We argentines are proud to say "widest river in the world" (which is true!!).
Also sailed in Brazil a lot as my dad lived there for a while and owned a 32ft.
Here in Oz I sailed (raced) with a colleague from work in an Elliot 7 here in Canberra and down the coast in Sydney, Pittwater, Jervis Bay and in Geelong. Then kids were born and sort of stopped sailing for a while. More recently picked it up again and I'm doing a lot of racing in a Laser.
Last month family holiday in the Whitsundays were we chartered a Bavaria 39. Best holiday ever (other than those sailing trips in the Brazilian coast :) ).
Now I want my own boat to take family and teach my kids.

that's me very briefly.

cheers

Juan

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '18, 15:54 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 10 times
Hi Juan. I stuffed up joining mightily when I did so don't worry about it. A Whitsundays Bareboat charter is what kicked us into getting a boat. Those charter companies have a lot to answer for...
John

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '18, 16:30 
Admiral

Have thanks: 311 times
Hi Juan,
If you don't find the right TS, please don't buy a charter yacht. I did that once and it was the worst investment ever! Hiring one as you did is far easier and although not cheap, it is still cheaper than owning a charter boat.

You are obviously an experienced sailor, so you will no doubt find the right boat sooner or later.

"Myf" the skiff

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '18, 19:52 
Midshipman

Thanks Peter. Haven't really considered buying a charter boat. I think I prefer having one close to where I live. If/when I moved to the coast I may consider my own keel boat, something able to do longer passages. Right now I think TS is the best option forr for my particular circumstances.
I think I'll be able to find something soon, probably I'll have to go pick her up to Melbourne where it seems most of you guys are located
Juan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14